House Price Crash Forum
larrydavid18

Nottingham, The Social Mirror Of Everything Thats Gone Wrong In This Country?

Well i thought id post this as, im sure some may know Nottingham may 2 universities, boast a top 5/6 retail destination, top cricket ground and footie ground, world class water sports facilities. Home of tourist attractions such as Robin hood etc.

Not(on paper anyway ) a area which you would think would have any problems. Its in the Eastmidlands.

But did you Know nottingham has the highest unemployment rate in the UK, higher than middlesborough????

http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/Unemployment-figures-wake/story-13192794-detail/story.html

Also equally staggering, and more to the point of this site, is its house prices.

http://www1.landregistry.gov.uk/upload/documents/HPI_Report_Jun_11_bs2tv5.pdf

As you can see Nottingham according to land registry is the same as hartlepool and blackpool????

Where has it all gone wrong????

Well i thought id post this as, im sure some may know Nottingham may 2 universities, boast a top 5/6 retail destination, top cricket ground and footie ground, world class water sports facilities. Home of tourist attractions such as Robin hood etc.

Not(on paper anyway ) a area which you would think would have any problems. Its in the Eastmidlands.

But did you Know nottingham has the highest unemployment rate in the UK, higher than middlesborough????

http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/Unemployment-figures-wake/story-13192794-detail/story.html

Also equally staggering, and more to the point of this site, is its house prices.

http://www1.landregistry.gov.uk/upload/documents/HPI_Report_Jun_11_bs2tv5.pdf

As you can see Nottingham according to land registry is the same as hartlepool and blackpool????

Once Brian Clough goes you're football team is f**ked.

Oh, hang on, I thought I was back in 1992 for a moment there.

Why did Clough never get the England Job ?

From the first link:

"The figures – put out by the GMB union and based on official Government statistics – show the city council area..."

The reason Nottingham often seems rather a desperate place (the figures for crime and gun crime are also often shocking) is that the figures are often just for the City Council area. This is mainly the City centre and a few of the poorer outlying districts. The richer areas like West Bridgeford, Arnold, Carlton are not in the "City". This means that when compared to other cities the average is poor as the affluent suburbs are mainly discounted.

That said theres plenty of places in Shottingham I wouldn't venture to in daylight, let alone at night :o

From the first link:

"The figures – put out by the GMB union and based on official Government statistics – show the city council area..."

The reason Nottingham often seems rather a desperate place (the figures for crime and gun crime are also often shocking) is that the figures are often just for the City Council area. This is mainly the City centre and a few of the poorer outlying districts. The richer areas like West Bridgeford, Arnold, Carlton are not in the "City". This means that when compared to other cities the average is poor as the affluent suburbs are mainly discounted.

That said theres plenty of places in Shottingham I wouldn't venture to in daylight, let alone at night :o

i dont fall for that fallacy. For starters why would adding netherfield, gedling, carlton, hucknall, eastwood stapleford really improve things??? ;)

But more seriously any city could claim the tight city boundary excuse.

Take bristol for example, downends, staplehill, longwell green and kingswood are all okayish suburben areas of bristol, as is keysham, but none of these fall in the city of bristol bounderies.

Manchester has a city population of 400 000 roughly, but its greater population including sale, altringham, cheadle, stockport etc are not included.

Hull is another example of tight city bounderies, as all cities can claim mate.

My aunt lives in Nottingham and on one trip I made in the late 80s early 90s I think, there was a bouncer outside McDonalds! I could not believe my eyes! for me, this was the epitome of rough. Took a good few years before I saw similar in London.

http://www.thisisnot...tail/story.html

http://www1.landregi...n_11_bs2tv5.pdf

It's symbollic of and an allusion to the "Tyranny of the Norman Sheriff" in my view

RBS Headquarters (Edinburgh) is named after Motte & Bailey Norman strongholds where they carried out hit & run guerilla-genocidal tactics to subdue the local population.

All symbols of the Financial elites who have taken over the UK by default and terrorise you thru your bank accounts, statements, Big Business force you into 1,5yr contracts plus direct debits with penalties built in if YOU dare cancel cos of their crap service (many also continue withdrawing your cash after termination of contract) tax returns, false "leaks" of millions of peoples personal information, moving your personal bank stuff to one of the most corrupt countries on earth, India etc

(not that everyone is - but the chances are far higher and internal employees have been caught selling credit card/Bank account info /personal matching address)

Edited by erranta

much like leicester,it had a few staple industries that went kaboom.they were replaced by the public sector.and it was a glorious zanu success from thereonin.top 5 employers in nottingham,the only private one is boots.

Quite funny!

As I had a mate in Nottingham who worked for Royal Ordnance!

Edited by erranta

Nottingham has been a shithole for as long as I can remember, why should it change now!

yes its always had rough areas, but you cannot deny its got a decent city centre. A russell group uni and trent uni is not bad for law and busness studies.

Plus it had its working class jobs gone, but experian, capital one and boots are all employment bases there.

but you cannot deny its got a decent city centre.

Errr the last time I went there was in the early nineties and I noted back then that the city centre was the most ugly and depressing centre I had ever seen. And yes, I have been to Plymouth and Coventry. That's not to mention the vast tracts of unpleasant inner city squalor I noted at the time.

Still, as long as the £billions spent on the Olympics is enjoyed by the chattering classes and the Yanks continue to visit Notting Hill it's all good.

Errr the last time I went there was in the early nineties and I noted back then that the city centre was the most ugly and depressing centre I had ever seen. And yes, I have been to Plymouth and Coventry. That's not to mention the vast tracts of unpleasant inner city squalor I noted at the time.

Still, as long as the £billions spent on the Olympics is enjoyed by the chattering classes and the Yanks continue to visit Notting Hill it's all good.

It has always had a reputation for violence that eclipsed neighbouring cities such as Sheffield which on paper were poorer.

I knew a pub landlord who had run boozers all over the UK including some rough parts of London and he always maintained that the worst trouble he experienced was in Nottingham.

The opening scene in the novel Saturday Night and Sunday Morning where Arthurs Seaton staggers down the pub stairs and pukes over the floor epitomises the place to me.

The place has always been dodgy and unpredictable (a bit like Brighton) so you never feel completely safe even in the supposedly better areas. It is this unspecified air of menace that always put me off the place compared to say Manchester, Sheffield, Bristol or London where most of the trouble at least occurred in the places you expected it.

Edited by stormymonday_2011

The early nineties eh? That's almost two decades ago now; perhaps you should visit again and see if it's changed. They've got trams now you know...

FWIW I lived in Derby for a bit (boo, hiss!) and visited a few times for shopping and going out. It seemed alright but not a patch on Manchester, Bristol, Birmingham, London and perhaps Sheffield. Maybe it misses the studenty areas a bit because the main Uni is more or less on-campus out of the centre, I dunno. It also had a reputation as a local stag/hen party city so nights out were always a bit... interesting.

Edited by efdemin

It has always had a reputation for violence that eclipsed neighbouring cities such as Sheffield which on paper were poorer.

I knew a pub landlord who had run boozers all over the UK including some rough parts of London and he always maintained that the worst trouble he experienced was in Nottingham.

The opening scene in the novel Saturday Night and Sunday Morning where Arthurs Seaton staggers down the pub stairs and pukes over the floor epitomises the place to me.

The place has always been dodgy and unpredictable (a bit like Brighton) so you never feel completely safe even in the supposedly better areas. It is this unspecified air of menace that always put me off the place compared to say Manchester, Sheffield, Bristol or London where most of the trouble at least occurred in the places you expected it.

i think you raise a interesting point about middle class areas being a bit dodgy in nottingham.

Arnold and sherwood are cracking examples, both are hyped up as middle class areas and leafy suburbs. They may well have once been that, but definately not now.

Arnold is boardering on a rough area, and manfield road in sherwood has some weirdos knocking around.

The early nineties eh? That's almost two decades ago now; perhaps you should visit again and see if it's changed. They've got trams now you know...

FWIW I lived in Derby for a bit (boo, hiss!) and visited a few times for shopping and going out. It seemed alright but not a patch on Manchester, Bristol, Birmingham, London and perhaps Sheffield. Maybe it misses the studenty areas a bit because the main Uni is more or less on-campus out of the centre, I dunno. It also had a reputation as a local stag/hen party city so nights out were always a bit... interesting.

notinghams def rougher than sheffield, i know both areas well. Sheffield has some bad areas like manor top, but actually has some wealthy suburbs, like hallam.

Bristol and nottingham are very similar in some respects, similar vibe. But nottingham seems a poorer version of bristol.

Manchester i dont know very well so cant comment.

Nottinghams funny as if you eradicted the locals you would have a very nice city imo.

Just never go north of Trent Bridge and it is nice.

like cotgrave ;)

Mind you the council seem hell bent on destroying the area, 40 percent in crease in car parking charges, even on sundays and evenings, WPL for city business's, they really hate cars more than red ken in nottingham...

My aunt lives in Nottingham and on one trip I made in the late 80s early 90s I think, there was a bouncer outside McDonalds! I could not believe my eyes! for me, this was the epitome of rough. Took a good few years before I saw similar in London.

very misleading lol, you,d be talking about a city centre mackies, which is sorounded by pubs, this makes total sense to me

nottingham is a big city with the same problems as any other big city,

My uncle used to live in Nottingham. It seemed no worse than many other places I have seen! :huh: