House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
apom

Talking About Sipps..

It was early.. but the financial guy on BBC news was chatting to an independent economist this morning about SIPPS..

About how you can invest in houses...

not fully agreeing with "The sipp myth" posted article which is pinned above granted

Although.. the BBC guy at the end said.. that houses might not be a sensible choice for long term as they are prone to boom and bust..

Quality...

A lot of the news seems nowadays to terrify the FTB's to jump onto the market as it may be their last chance..

This was just an of the cuff comment.. But the look on the visiting economists face was that of suprise

However - it was an utterly pointless item to show. Did I miss a link in? Where was the "news"? All it seemed to be was an advert for "buying a second home via a SIPP"? But I'm sure I didn't miss anything. Declan initially starts telling us about how rates would be kept on hold / gloom on the High Street etc..... and then immediately moves on to "first time buyers are struggling more than ever about getting onto the housing ladder and concerns have been raised about the possible impact of SIPPs" Cue discussion with IFA telling us that the wealthy (although this point was a but fuzzy leaving the suggestion that you didn't need to be THAT wealthy to benefit) could buy a second home "say for £100k but get tax relief so the actual cost to them is £60k"). And okay, so the IFA tells us that property like all assets are prone to rises and falls (Apom - I don't think he used the expression "boom and bust") - but, again, it was said in terms of "there's risk with all investments"

FFS - it wasn't even a news item about the potential for missales!

However - it was an utterly pointless item to show. Did I miss a link in? Where was the "news"? All it seemed to be was an advert for "buying a second home via a SIPP"? But I'm sure I didn't miss anything. Declan initially starts telling us about how rates would be kept on hold / gloom on the High Street etc..... and then immediately moves on to "first time buyers are struggling more than ever about getting onto the housing ladder and concerns have been raised about the possible impact of SIPPs" Cue discussion with IFA telling us that the wealthy (although this point was a but fuzzy leaving the suggestion that you didn't need to be THAT wealthy to benefit) could buy a second home "say for £100k but get tax relief so the actual cost to them is £60k"). And okay, so the IFA tells us that property like all assets are prone to rises and falls (Apom - I don't think he used the expression "boom and bust") - but, again, it was said in terms of "there's risk with all investments"

FFS - it wasn't even a news item about the potential for missales!

He did.. but they repeat the article several times.. perhaps he only said it once.