House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
newbonic

Libya Holds 6% Of The Worlds Gold Reserves...

If true, I wonder where it's stored and where it's heading? I can imagine the tank blowing off the vault door like in Kelly's Heroes....

I don't think it's true.

They probably just misread the column heading in Wikipedia.

Looks like that!

I've had a dig around on the Sky website and it says:

Gold: The Libyan Central Bank has 143.8 tonnes of gold.

This is an enormous store of wealth – particularly with gold prices at a historic high of over $1,800 an ounce.

In terms of gold per capita, Libya has the ninth biggest amount of gold wealth in the world, just after the US, at 22 grams per person.

There are important questions over what has happened to this gold amid the chaos in Tripoli.

They say it's in 18kg bars, so I'll keep an eye out for any turning up on ebay. With a 'buy it now' price of circa $400,000.laugh.gif

Is in the BoE you retards

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1079518/The-Big-Picture-This-vast-vault-gold-Bank-England-weather-credit-crunch.html

In fact, most of the gold stored here is held by the Bank of England on behalf of other depositors, notably the central banks of various foreign governments who might not have access to such a secure cellar. The bars themselves are not identical.

They say Gaddafi has been seen walking around the back streets of London...

Edited by GinAndPlatonic