House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
van hoogstraten

Wheels Coming Off In Oz

From this mornings THE AGE

"High-density dwellings have been hardest hit, particularly in NSW and Queensland. In August, approvals for private-sector flats and units plummeted by an alarming 21 per cent, after falling 12 per cent in July and 11 per cent in June.

There was also no sign of the expected rebound in Victoria. Victorian approvals retreated fractionally in August, after new building regulations triggered a 37 per cent collapse in July."

Doesn't seem to be the consumer slowdown downunder but the petrol price rises are starting to hurt

From this mornings THE AGE

"High-density dwellings have been hardest hit, particularly in NSW and Queensland. In August, approvals for private-sector flats and units plummeted by an alarming 21 per cent, after falling 12 per cent in July and 11 per cent in June.

There was also no sign of the expected rebound in Victoria. Victorian approvals retreated fractionally in August, after new building regulations triggered a 37 per cent collapse in July."

Doesn't seem to be the consumer slowdown downunder but the petrol price rises are starting to hurt

I am not surprised by this. When I was out there 'apartment living' developments were going up all over the place. Its like the sublime to the ridiculous. From 1/4 acre block thinking to tiny little European box thinking. I mean, there is a happy medium. They used to build 100 terraces to an acre and nobody had to live on top of one another and it was still good land use. There are only 20M people in Australia. Australians don't have to live in apartments. Its just a fad. They are bound to go out of fashion big time.

Australia - 20m people in a landmass the size of continental Europe. Probably the lowest population density of any country worth mentioning. Yet Australia has about the highest median house prices relative to median salaries. A lot worse than the UK!

Something is wrong with this picture! There are in fact few places to live in Australia. The population is very urbanised with almost everyone living in a state capital, of which there are few.

Why does everyone live in a state capital? Access to work. Why is it hard to get work in regional towns? Well i can only guess that is a lack of infrastructure. No major update to rail infrastructure since the 30s! The captials are also very centralised.

Big country - few places to go.

Australia - 20m people in a landmass the size of continental Europe. Probably the lowest population density of any country worth mentioning. Yet Australia has about the highest median house prices relative to median salaries. A lot worse than the UK!

Something is wrong with this picture! There are in fact few places to live in Australia. The population is very urbanised with almost everyone living in a state capital, of which there are few.

Why does everyone live in a state capital? Access to work. Why is it hard to get work in regional towns? Well i can only guess that is a lack of infrastructure. No major update to rail infrastructure since the 30s! The captials are also very centralised.

Your spot on...the only industries in most regional areas are tourism and farming. Up north its mining as well, but most workers for that are on fly in fly out contracts ..from the Oz cities.

australia is effectively MORE densely populated than Britain as 90% of the population live in the state capitals as there is scarcely any economic activity except for farming and mining anywhere else..........................................

Edited by Michael

The cities sprawl though - Melbourne's geographical area is as big as that of Greater London with a lot less people. The state capitals are like small countries - fed and watered by the agricultural hinterland.

Melbourne has manufacturing & a lot of old money, Sydney finance & tourism, Brisbane mining & agriculture, Adelaide wine growing & mining, Perth mining, and don't forget Hobart..... a weaving industry based around the production of 6 fingered gloves/double headed balaclavas for Tasmanians

I am not surprised by this. When I was out there 'apartment living' developments were going up all over the place. Its like the sublime to the ridiculous. From 1/4 acre block thinking to tiny little European box thinking. I mean, there is a happy medium. They used to build 100 terraces to an acre and nobody had to live on top of one another and it was still good land use. There are only 20M people in Australia. Australians don't have to live in apartments. Its just a fad. They are bound to go out of fashion big time.

I'm not so sure, I subscribe to DrBubb's theory that sprawling suburbs are probably not going to exist in the future due to increasing fuel costs.

Australia is in the midst of a huge speculative bubble, in part, caused by the ridiculous negative gearing tax break. It is the norm for middle class Baby Boomers there to own 3+ properties.

and don't forget Hobart..... a weaving industry based around the production of 6 fingered gloves/double headed balaclavas for Tasmanians

:lol::lol:

And of course the production of fast ferries for export, the world's third largest electrolytic zinc smelter and by far the country's largest newsprint mill. :)