House Price Crash Forum

Did I Miss Anything

ken_ichikawa

HOLA441

Lived in Germany for 10 years but never went to Oktoberfest. That's for the tourists. Most fun for inhabitants (in the Rhineland, at least) is Karneval (same weekend as our pancake day). Whole town dresses up as clowns and get totally smashed for 5 days.

I'd agree that Karneval is also fun, although they looked like they were dressing up as trannies rather than clowns last time I went!

HOLA442

Yeah I remember the (fat) Golden Bear. Great player, not like Tiger though, you didn't look at him and think he could make it in other sports.

Golf is easy to play badly, ie bogey golf or just a bit better than bogey golf.

It's difficult to play well.(criteria already given).

Take a selection of highish-standard hockey players and/or cricketers who have never played and show them the basics, they'll be better than most weekend golfers very quickly. I actually witnessed this happen on a cricket tour when weather was poor, so I know it to be true.

It is easy to play bogey golf. :blink: Well let us continue to agree to disagree.

As for Nicklaus - he changed things when he came into the game. Just like Tiger did when he came into the game. However only one of them is still going to known as the greatest golfer in the World in 10 years time. Clue - his name won't be Tiger. ;)

You are the only person I have ever met who thinks this way about golf. And I have met a LOT of people who play golf or have ever tried. Literally hundreds and hundreds.

Hah - everyone in my four was very sporty at school. I played first 11 hockey, a couple of the others rugby and the fourth football. We all went out for the works cricket team too. Two of us also played league squash.

Golf is much much harder.

I would have to agree. Anyway - taking this a bit of topic from Kens original question. I shall bow out of the golf related chat now.

HOLA443

Golf is much much harder.

It is easy to play bogey golf. :blink: Well let us continue to agree to disagree.

Maybe you two are just crap!

:P

It's the best thing about golf, winding up the regulars, especially the snooty ones(not suggesting that you are that, BTW).

I entered a Stableford competition once off 24, justifiable as I hadn't played for 2 years and had only played a total of about 20 rounds in my life at the time. Went round in 84 with mostly my grandfathers clubs apart from the driver, 11 putts on the back nine, 3 from over 20 feet.

You may imagine the reaction. :D

I should add that it was a still, sunny day following heavy rain on a course made for a big driver, chipper and putter - I was quickly found out by high winds or extreme courses like the Nicklaus course at St Mellion. (I was invited to play this by a golfer who I reckon was quietly seeking revenge for my comments, smart fella - mind you he didn't do that well either!)

HOLA444

I was lucky enough to get a job doing some weird science the world over. Here are some things I managed to cram in after the job was done of course.

Junket round Sydney harbour opera house performance, visit to and diving on the great barrier reef.

Mad taxi trip to the taj mahal.

conference in Derhadun india.

Cairo museum and the pyramids.

Forbidden city in beijing.

Helicopter ride in Hawaii.

Climbed into and out of the grand canyon.

Worked in the freezing hellhole oil city of daqing in northern china.

Been to the eurasian pole of inaccessability.

and a load of other stuff I can't be bothered to write down (look at me).

For activities I guess skiing is great. North American is the place to ski, but the apres is crap. My favorite is Tahoe, but Squaw (KT-22) and Mammoth is also good. A bobsleigh ride is good, but there is not the same level of control you get with skiing. I also like playing poker (vegas is great, but train yourself up before you go there) - a good rush when there's a lot of money on the table.

Also as per the other thread, go to islands of adventure in florida for some rollercoaster action before you get too old to appreciate it. That or get yourself a seat in the front of a fast jet.

But my favorite is eating a good meal in a quite place, preferably overlooking some water as the sun goes down. Salmon, freshly caught with a crisp dry white wine and sharing it with a person I care about. Maybe I'm getting old.

HOLA445

It's not exactly on a par with skydiving. :rolleyes:

Skydiving ceases to be scary after jump 20-30. Until you have a nasty malfunction that is....

Skydiving is spoilt by the backstabbers, the haters and the politics. It being expensive to participate means it attracts people who needed to be ruthless to climb corporate ladders, therefore you get people with gigantic planet sized egos which are made from glass. Unbelievably I got back stabbed yet again about half an hour ago by some backbiter.

Which is why I go jump and go home pretty soon afterwards. I don't even talk to anybody there bar two members of staff who are most definitely not back stabbers

HOLA446

But my favorite is eating a good meal in a quite place, preferably overlooking some water as the sun goes down.Maybe I'm getting old.

I like to do something similar, last lift of the day, get some v dark sunglasses. And go hire something big like a 300sqft main canopy (my weight/size ratio says I should be jumping a 140 I jump a 170now). Hibaldstow has a 340. Hang out the door at 15000ft. And pull the second you are out the door. You can get 14200ft of canopy flight. Reach up stow the slider and the flap flap stops and it is eerily quiet and cold and because you are so high up and there is often no wind at sunset you feel like you are floating.

HOLA447

Top things I have experienced:

Firing a 25 pounder AT gun

extreme aerobatics in a biplane

barrier reef snorkelling

gliders (I was only a nipper, but liked it)

couple of music festivals

hillwalking mountains in the depths of a snowy winter for a week, with tents....brrr

what I havent done but would like to:

transiberian express

walk the appalacians with mates

see bob dylan/leonard cohen

watch the hobbit premier in wellington......

things I never wanted to do:

18-30 (jesus, boring as)

prostitutes (why bother?)

get good at golf (I know I dont have the time to be good - I'll just keep chopping away)

but what beats them all - the smile on my boys faces when something awesome happens. and thats not being a sentimental ****, that's just how it is. :lol:

HOLA448

what I havent done but would like to:

transiberian express

Unless you like getting totally mashed and also have a walk up to random people type personality you won't enjoy it. I found it to be OK. Scenery only starts getting good past the Ural mountains. A friend of mine who is rather shy and retiring and spoke to few people hated it as the scenery was just taiga, or grasslands for 1000s of miles.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

I agree. Skiing and boarding are immense fun. And if you want extreme you can take it as far as you wish. Too pansy these days myself.

Got to stick at it and take the numerous falls to start off with. However once you 'get it' very few things are more amazing than gliding down the side of a mountain on fresh snow first thing on a crisp clear mountain day. IMO anyway.

Ken - I would of thought this was made for you. Never tried it before ? Surely this interests you. :)

st_anton_snowboard_picture.jpg

Yep - Ken, if you want some adrenalin, try this.

High speed on fine powder is, well, magic.I've only managed it a few times, you need to be in the right place at the right time, in the right state of fitness and with the right skill levels.

Get fit first, I mean really fit, 6-pack fit, and look out for the tips of tree branches sticking out of the snow......

If you don't like egos then golf is definitely not for you, unless like me you have a childish liking for needling them, see earlier posts.

HOLA4411

Yep - Ken, if you want some adrenalin, try this.

High speed on fine powder is, well, magic.I've only managed it a few times, you need to be in the right place at the right time, in the right state of fitness and with the right skill levels.

Get fit first, I mean really fit, 6-pack fit, and look out for the tips of tree branches sticking out of the snow......

If you don't like egos then golf is definitely not for you, unless like me you have a childish liking for needling them, see earlier posts.

We can agree on this for sure. :D

Only way to really guarantee it is to do a season somewhere. Not for everyone though. Although you can get epic powder in Jockland on occasion. Have to be able to just jump in your car at 6am to get it though.

This is a vid I made in Sunny Jockland last year. Only maybe 6 inches of Powder but still pretty class. Other days around that time there was feet of the stuff. Not the most exciting vid Ken - but gives you an idea.

Ken - if you like speed, height and being up high this really is something you should try. If you have good balance then boarding is very easy to pick up if you just go for it. Only really 4 basic things to learn and you can do it.

Glas Maol - Glenshee

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

I like to do something similar, last lift of the day, get some v dark sunglasses. And go hire something big like a 300sqft main canopy (my weight/size ratio says I should be jumping a 140 I jump a 170now). Hibaldstow has a 340. Hang out the door at 15000ft. And pull the second you are out the door. You can get 14200ft of canopy flight. Reach up stow the slider and the flap flap stops and it is eerily quiet and cold and because you are so high up and there is often no wind at sunset you feel like you are floating.

Ken also likes to think about eating people. Add that to your list :P

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Never fancied 18-30...I would just find doing such a thing cringeworthy..

Glasto - na, not since it went "commercial" - prefer http://www.atpfestival.com/

Last time I played Golf - on a driving range, I lost the head off my 1 wood...I was crap anyway...

Amen to that- going in December? Been to seven I think now (all Minehead). Can be 'variable', a couple have been downright dross, but the atmosphere is excellent and the crowd polite to a fault, it's a refreshing change from other festivals (which I would not go to anymore).

As for the rest, played a bit of golf, not very good. I'd struggle to say it was technically harder than many other sports, especially ones where you compete against others directly. It's on a par with plenty of those, badminton, tennis, snooker etc. The fitness levels required are clearly not up to the same levels as other sports. That's not to take away from it mind, it is a difficult game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrvTk5vDRoY

Not fired any live ammo, can't say I'm bovvered about that.

Michelin-starred eating, now there's a good 'un. Went to a two-star place last year which was fantastic and well worth it. Can almost still taste it now. Not the sort of thing I could/would do regularly, but as a very occasional treat I'll definitely go again.

HOLA4417

Nice, I've enjoyed Glenshee the times that I've been there (not too many but this is only the third year that I've been skiing).

For some more Scottish skiing when it does get good (way beyond my ability though) have a look at these photos.

Ah - Those few days per year where the Jock snow is as good as anywhere else in the World. Whenever you tell anyone they don't believe you. Fair dos though. It's not normal.

Me up Glenshee in 2008

Image022.jpg

post-9648-0-50552100-1314314631_thumb.jpg

HOLA4418

Amen to that- going in December? Been to seven I think now (all Minehead). Can be 'variable', a couple have been downright dross, but the atmosphere is excellent and the crowd polite to a fault, it's a refreshing change from other festivals (which I would not go to anymore).

Haven't been to one for about three years...I did stand about 6 feet away from Nick Cave...his moustache was mightily impressive...the main downfalls is that there is no real alternative to all the fast food outlets in the main "tent" and the acoustics of the said tent are fairly dire...

HOLA4419

Ah - Those few days per year where the Jock snow is as good as anywhere else in the World. Whenever you tell anyone they don't believe you. Fair dos though. It's not normal.

Me up Glenshee in 2008

Yes, it's missing the added bonus that if the wind is in the right direction you can usually ski uphill too.

HOLA4420

I've not done quite a number of things. So I'm asking has anybody done any of the following and really did I miss anything decent?

I've never been on an 18-30 holiday, never seemed to appeal.

I've never been to a music event like Glastonbury or Download festival.

Never been to Oktoberfest.

Never played golf.

Never used an RPG on a cow.

Or are all of the above generally missable experiences anyway and not exactly that big a deal?

Went on a lads holiday to Magaluf (1990), great time even with the pi$$ed up bickering at times.

Been to V Festival twice, again a fantastic had.

Went to a beer fest in Herrsbruck near Nurnberg while working there (1996), good laugh with the Oompah band doing Rolling Stones covers and had some dodgy bloke trying to pickpocket me.

Played golf twice, great when you hit a sweet shot but got super riled with any poor shot (which was most of the time).

Had a few goes with an AK47 at paper targets and beer cans, totally awesome!

HOLA4421

Combining the two?

groovy...

I cant see that but I assume it is the skiing with a parachute attached ? Mental stuff. Some do it up at Cairngorm. Have a youtube fo rit.

Best one I saw was on youtube of a French bloke (Always them !!) that did a grind along a cable car cable :o

Mentalness.

Yes, it's missing the added bonus that if the wind is in the right direction you can usually ski uphill too.

I only go when the weather is nice these days. Had enough of that painful Jock skiing when I was younger to last me a lifetime :)

Blue sky or nothing. Strangely had a lot of these days up here the last couple of years. Combined with lots of snow.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Archived