House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ken_ichikawa

Did I Miss Anything

I've not done quite a number of things. So I'm asking has anybody done any of the following and really did I miss anything decent?

I've never been on an 18-30 holiday, never seemed to appeal.

I've never been to a music event like Glastonbury or Download festival.

Never been to Oktoberfest.

Never played golf.

Never used an RPG on a cow.

Or are all of the above generally missable experiences anyway and not exactly that big a deal?

18-30: Never been on one - but loads of holidays with big groups of mates. Same shit. Great laugh. Painful on the body. Will always remember it though.

Golf: Played it since about 14. No doubt the most frustrating and technically difficult sport I have ever tried. However for that reason when you hit a great shot you almost get a hard on. Can't really explain it. Then your next shot is guffed into the rough and you never want to play the game again. Whoever invented this game should be shot. Still love it though. Totally ******ed up. If burds were a game they would be golf.

No idea of the rest. Never fancied them.

I've not done quite a number of things. So I'm asking has anybody done any of the following and really did I miss anything decent?

Never played golf.

Or are all of the above generally missable experiences anyway and not exactly that big a deal?

Oktoberfest is worth going to - if you have some one with the right local knowledge to get you to the right tents at the right time. Don't bother going at a weekend.

Agree with ccc on golf.

Don't know about the rest.

Did Glasto a few times in the early 90's and it was fantastic, seems a bit too large and corporate to me now but am considering other festivals like Bestival and Green Man next year.

So yeah, can have good fun at festivals but my preference would be for the smaller or less well known.

Used to live in Munich and in fact for one year lived right next to the Theresienwiese. Everyone should do the Oktoberfest once.

It's an insane experience, but as with everything worth doing now it's got too big. When I first went about 3.5 million people would do the fest, last year it was double that so expect to turn up at 10am in the morning just to try and get a seat in a "tent".

And of course, prices of hotels and air travel sky rocket for the fest.

If that sounds like too much grief just go to Munich anytime in the summer and enjoy the beer gardens and take a trip to the Andechs monastery (just jump on an S-Bahn) or check out the Beer Fest or Music fest in Dachau, not as insane as Oktoberfest but far less stressful.

Never used an RPG on a cow but have used fully automatic weapons on some old cars in a desert and I can highly recommend it :D

Did Glasto a few times in the early 90's and it was fantastic, seems a bit too large and corporate to me now but am considering other festivals like Bestival and Green Man next year.

So yeah, can have good fun at festivals but my preference would be for the smaller or less well known.

Used to live in Munich and in fact for one year lived right next to the Theresienwiese. Everyone should do the Oktoberfest once.

It's an insane experience, but as with everything worth doing now it's got too big. When I first went about 3.5 million people would do the fest, last year it was double that so expect to turn up at 10am in the morning just to try and get a seat in a "tent".

And of course, prices of hotels and air travel sky rocket for the fest.

If that sounds like too much grief just go to Munich anytime in the summer and enjoy the beer gardens and take a trip to the Andechs monastery (just jump on an S-Bahn) or check out the Beer Fest or Music fest in Dachau, not as insane as Oktoberfest but far less stressful.

Never used an RPG on a cow but have used fully automatic weapons on some old cars in a desert and I can highly recommend it :D

+1 for Andechs - fantastic Schweinshaxe to help the beer down.

Me neither, aimed at lower half of IQ range, I reckon.

Used to go to festivals in the 80's for the drugs, buzz and dehydration, but not now.

Lived in Germany for 10 years but never went to Oktoberfest. That's for the tourists. Most fun for inhabitants (in the Rhineland, at least) is Karneval (same weekend as our pancake day). Whole town dresses up as clowns and get totally smashed for 5 days.

Never played golf.

Me neither, except on the Wii. What's the point?

Biggest ordnance I've used is a shotgun. Not on a cow though. Maybe after the breakdown. :ph34r:

Frankly, Ken, the best experience I've had so far is the love of a good woman for 13 years and having a kid - and that's from someone who used to ride round on a CBX1000 chop. Mind you, I'm hoping that my imminent acquisition of a smartphone will also give me some pleasure too.

Golf: Played it since about 14. No doubt the most frustrating and technically difficult sport I have ever tried. However for that reason when you hit a great shot you almost get a hard on. Can't really explain it. Then your next shot is guffed into the rough and you never want to play the game again. Whoever invented this game should be shot. Still love it though. Totally ******ed up. If burds were a game they would be golf.

This is very similar to my sport of choice, field archery. A few of my archery buddies also play golf and they say there are a lot of parallels. A coach once told me that there are 40 seperate elements to an archery shot, mess up any one of them and it's not going where it needs to.

The perfect shot is almost like an out of body experience with all of those 40 elements working as one (although in field archery there are additional skills, accurate distance judgement for example), it's almost impossible to replicate multiple times. You ask yourself what you did differently that time and more often than not you have no idea.

As for the original question, with the exception of a little golf I haven't done any of those either, never felt like I had missed much.

This is very similar to my sport of choice, field archery. A few of my archery buddies also play golf and they say there are a lot of parallels. A coach once told me that there are 40 seperate elements to an archery shot, mess up any one of them and it's not going where it needs to.

The perfect shot is almost like an out of body experience with all of those 40 elements working as one (although in field archery there are additional skills, accurate distance judgement for example), it's almost impossible to replicate multiple times. You ask yourself what you did differently that time and more often than not you have no idea.

As for the original question, with the exception of a little golf I haven't done any of those either, never felt like I had missed much.

Well thanks - I am never going to try archery now. One of these sports in enough. :D

Golf is one of those sports that I've had a look into occasionally, but the step up to getting up to a standard where it's even worth trying to play a round looks too hard. That said, on the mostly small nine hole course attached to the local driving range I did hit the flag from the tee on the second hole - a great feeling!

Never seen any appeal in club 18-30 type of things. Don't like large, loud groups, and although I enjoy having too much to drink I don't want to keep doing that for several days in a row. I'm the type who infinitely prefers a decent pub where you can have a conversation to a club. Oktoberfest doesn't sound too bad though.

The biggest weapon I've ever fired is only an air rifle, although I've been in a position where I routinely had shotgun shot falling on me.

Ski-ing. I've never seen the appeal and I have bad memories of the nouveau-riche snobs who went on school ski trips.

Pop music festivals. I've only been to one, and it was like some vision of Hell. I ended up getting into a punch up with a drugged up idiot and it poured with rain. I find it particularly sad when people over the age of 30 go to these things, just grow up!

Bungee jumping. It seems to appeal to rather mentally feeble Aussies/Kiwis/Saffas for some reason.

Cocaine. Something that gives instant euphoria would be very dangerous for a depressive like me.

Prostitutes. I can kind of see the appeal, but it would really just be a glorified w*nk. I've been to a lapdancing place on a stag night and it was all a bit embarrassing and pointless I thought....

Ski-ing. I've never seen the appeal and I have bad memories of the nouveau-riche snobs who went on school ski trips.

Pop music festivals. I've only been to one, and it was like some vision of Hell. I ended up getting into a punch up with a drugged up idiot and it poured with rain. I find it particularly sad when people over the age of 30 go to these things, just grow up!

Bungee jumping. It seems to appeal to rather mentally feeble Aussies/Kiwis/Saffas for some reason.

Cocaine. Something that gives instant euphoria would be very dangerous for a depressive like me.

Prostitutes. I can kind of see the appeal, but it would really just be a glorified w*nk. I've been to a lapdancing place on a stag night and it was all a bit embarrassing and pointless I thought....

Skiing is/was good fun. Takes a bit too much organising to do often, and you need friends that want to do it too. Most 'scary' thing i've done that i'd like to do again, really gets the adrenaline going. Skydiving was definitely a once only experience though, the parachute straps went very close to cutting off some vital regions when it opened.

Agreed with the rest. Alcohol is enough for me, i'd rather live my life not feeling i need any more drugs. Also think i could end up addicted easily if i did start.. easiest just not to try it.

Skiing is one of those things that I always thought was a complete and pointless waste of time. I ended up trying it when I ended up more or less not being able to say no to going on a skiing holiday (it had been arranged as a birthday present for my brother by my sister-in-law, who wanted as many of us to go so I felt that I couldn't say no). A lot to my surprise I found that I absolutely loved it. It's definitely worth giving a try. It's not just rich snobs who ski. If we get another winter like the last couple then staying in the UK can give you some good conditions, if you're lucky (although the runs in Scotland are much shorter and the areas much smaller), although if you're in the south it's probably both quicker and cheaper to get to the Alps.

I've never tried diving.

I agree. Skiing and boarding are immense fun. And if you want extreme you can take it as far as you wish. Too pansy these days myself.

Got to stick at it and take the numerous falls to start off with. However once you 'get it' very few things are more amazing than gliding down the side of a mountain on fresh snow first thing on a crisp clear mountain day. IMO anyway.

Ken - I would of thought this was made for you. Never tried it before ? Surely this interests you. :)

st_anton_snowboard_picture.jpg

Likewise. Even when I was 18-30 I knew where to find what I wanted and didnt need to be on a holiday surrounded by drunken morons.

Likewise. I couldnt think of many things worse than being in a muddy field to listen to a random mixture of music surrounded by grungy students and hippies.

Lived in Germany for 6 years and never went either. There are so many things to do and places to go there that a tourist event like that doesnt get very far up on the list of things to do. In a country like that with so many events and so much drink then going to munich to drink the same beer in a tent that you can get in any pub is pointless.

A trip to the moselle valley is far more rewarding imo.

Never played golf.

Did as a kid, cant see the point in giving up time to it now.

Me neither. I did kill a sheep with a gpmg though. Largest ordinance fired is a challenger 2, then mortars and most rifles. Never fired a 50mm though which I would like to.

Never played golf.

Does this mean you have done everything else? :ph34r:

If so you have lived a full enough life not to worry about the rest.

Golf is mostly a game played by people with no sporting ability. Hire some clubs and go to a basic course, 7000 yards par 72, not too many lakes etc. If you can't get round in under 90 within a week, playing most days, you'll never be any good anyway so you might as well stop unless you're enjoying it a lot..

It's not exactly on a par with skydiving. :rolleyes:

Does this mean you have done everything else? :ph34r:

If so you have lived a full enough life not to worry about the rest.

Golf is mostly a game played by people with no sporting ability. Hire some clubs and go to a basic course, 7000 yards par 72, not too many lakes etc. If you can't get round in under 90 within a week, playing most days, you'll never be any good anyway so you might as well stop unless you're enjoying it a lot..

It's not exactly on a par with skydiving. :rolleyes:

You having a laugh ?! :lol:

Golf is probably the tehcnically hardest sport in the World. Physically pretty tough too. To be a top golfer you need superb flexibility.

Skydiving is clearly more of a thrill - however I doubt it even comes close to golf in terms of skills or practice.

Golf is probably the tehcnically hardest sport in the World. Physically pretty tough too. To be a top golfer you need superb flexibility.

Skydiving is clearly more of a thrill - however I doubt it even comes close to golf in terms of skills or practice.

Golf at the very top level is one thing, but even then you'll have a hard time convincing me that Colin Montgomerie or John Daly were ever superb athletes. Tiger brought athleticism(and some other things!) to the sport, one of the reasons he was so dominant for so long.

Most people who play golf are the spods who didn't get picked for the sports teams at school, they have to practice every week just to make it round the course in under 100. They find it extraordinary that someone can play round in under 90 without practicing, and can do sub 80 within weeks, ffs the ball just sits there(though sometimes in awkward places, admittedly) - try hitting something curving towards you at 140kph.

I'll concede that anyone playing off 8 or less on a tough course is a good player. Oh and Scots players have to be better as they play in tougher conditions week in week out!

'Old' sports are like that. Same goes for piano, cello or violin playing.

I find that many acvities that look boring are usually quite exciting once you've caught the bug.

Golf at the very top level is one thing, but even then you'll have a hard time convincing me that Colin Montgomerie or John Daly were ever superb athletes. Tiger brought athleticism(and some other things!) to the sport, one of the reasons he was so dominant for so long.

Most people who play golf are the spods who didn't get picked for the sports teams at school, they have to practice every week just to make it round the course in under 100. They find it extraordinary that someone can play round in under 90 without practicing, and can do sub 80 within weeks, ffs the ball just sits there(though sometimes in awkward places, admittedly) - try hitting something curving towards you at 140kph.

I'll concede that anyone playing off 8 or less on a tough course is a good player. Oh and Scots players have to be better as they play in tougher conditions week in week out!

You never heard of Jack Nicklaus then...:rolleyes:

When you say under 90 without practising - do you mean never ? Because the odds of that I would easily put at 1000-1 for the average course.

Anyway - you seem to think Golf is not difficult. We shall have to agree to disagree. However I have 99% of those who have ever played golf on my side of the debate. Youa re the first person I have ever known to have this opinion. :D

'Old' sports are like that. Same goes for piano, cello or violin playing.

I find that many acvities that look boring are usually quite exciting once you've caught the bug.

Indeed.

You never heard of Jack Nicklaus then...:rolleyes:

When you say under 90 without practising - do you mean never ? Because the odds of that I would easily put at 1000-1 for the average course.

Anyway - you seem to think Golf is not difficult. We shall have to agree to disagree. However I have 99% of those who have ever played golf on my side of the debate. Youa re the first person I have ever known to have this opinion. :D

Yeah I remember the (fat) Golden Bear. Great player, not like Tiger though, you didn't look at him and think he could make it in other sports.

Golf is easy to play badly, ie bogey golf or just a bit better than bogey golf.

It's difficult to play well.(criteria already given).

Take a selection of highish-standard hockey players and/or cricketers who have never played and show them the basics, they'll be better than most weekend golfers very quickly. I actually witnessed this happen on a cricket tour when weather was poor, so I know it to be true.

Hah - everyone in my four was very sporty at school. I played first 11 hockey, a couple of the others rugby and the fourth football. We all went out for the works cricket team too. Two of us also played league squash.

Golf is much much harder.

Lived in Germany for 6 years and never went either. There are so many things to do and places to go there that a tourist event like that doesnt get very far up on the list of things to do. In a country like that with so many events and so much drink then going to munich to drink the same beer in a tent that you can get in any pub is pointless.

Oktoberfest beer is somewhat different from normal german beer, although there are a places in munich that serve it. It's all about the right tent. Go in the wrong tent and it will be tourist hell, get the right one and you will have a good day.