House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

corevalue

In Every Local Newspaper

In my local paper, this article appeared, which suggests ONLY 40% of parents suspect children are being abused "where theyl ive". Barnado's believe the figure should be higher...

Tell-tale signs of child sexual grooming are being overlooked, a leading charity has warned. Barnardo's said just two in five parents believed children were being sexually exploited where they live, despite the prevalence of the problem across the UK.

A Google search on the title shows that this article is copied across virtually every local paper in the country. Would the assembled congregation give their considered opinion on whether this is just Barnado's talking out of their Rses, or yet another attempt to paint every adult in the country as a kiddie-fiddler? And why in so many papers? Who syndicated this piece?

The article, not my local paper tho

Edit to include link ( I forgot)

Fake charity seeks to exaggerate a problem to help sustain itself.

An old Devil's Kitchen blogpost. It's what happens when never ending money is thrown at a problem. The bogeyman is everywhere. Hence the paranoia.

I was at a community event on Sunday, saw a little boy upset, crying he'd lost his mummy, I crouch down to speak to him, my natural instinct to take him to the organisers' tent 50 metres away and make a loud-hailer announced, of course, that was tempered by this kind of nonsense. I was relieved when mum and her daughter emerged - a toilet emergency.

This kind of 'charity'-fed hysteria is not at all helpful to a healthy society.

Fake charity seeks to exaggerate a problem to help sustain itself.

An old Devil's Kitchen blogpost. It's what happens when never ending money is thrown at a problem. The bogeyman is everywhere. Hence the paranoia.

I was at a community event on Sunday, saw a little boy upset, crying he'd lost his mummy, I crouch down to speak to him, my natural instinct to take him to the organisers' tent 50 metres away and make a loud-hailer announced, of course, that was tempered by this kind of nonsense. I was relieved when mum and her daughter emerged - a toilet emergency.

This kind of 'charity'-fed hysteria is not at all helpful to a healthy society.

Bugger! Absolutey correct Mr Tinker! I'm not giving any more milk-bottle-tops to Africa! :o;)

In my local paper, this article appeared, which suggests ONLY 40% of parents suspect children are being abused "where theyl ive". Barnado's believe the figure should be higher...

A Google search on the title shows that this article is copied across virtually every local paper in the country. Would the assembled congregation give their considered opinion on whether this is just Barnado's talking out of their Rses, or yet another attempt to paint every adult in the country as a kiddie-fiddler? And why in so many papers? Who syndicated this piece?

The article, not my local paper tho

Edit to include link ( I forgot)

I don't think the article is suggesting that more than 40% of children are being abused, but rather that 40% of parents don't think it happens at all where they live, or couldn't spot the signs if it did.

I don't think the article is suggesting that more than 40% of children are being abused, but rather that 40% of parents don't think it happens at all where they live, or couldn't spot the signs if it did.

Your reading skills need improving.

The article is spun to make us believe that EVERYONE is a potential abuser, since ONLY 40% of parents believe a child is possibly being abused "where they live". You've got two things backward in your post!

How many people know someone who claims to have been sexually abused?

And how many of those people suspect the abused is just a whinger?

I understand there are distressing cases, but this kind of story is just a pile-on for handouts to the people who get to say whether or not they deserve the handouts.

Your reading skills need improving.

The article is spun to make us believe that EVERYONE is a potential abuser, since ONLY 40% of parents believe a child is possibly being abused "where they live". You've got two things backward in your post!

Sure I got the percentage backwards - it's the wrong end of a 16 hour work day. Nonetheless and despite the article being quite poorly written, "where they live" reads as "in the parents local area" rather than "children abused in their home" which I think was the point of your original post, ie to me it read like a warning that just because you are in a "nice area" you are not necessarily immune, which is a valid point.

I would agree that there is far to much paedo fear mongering though.

Sure I got the percentage backwards - it's the wrong end of a 16 hour work day. Nonetheless and despite the article being quite poorly written, "where they live" reads as "in the parents local area" rather than "children abused in their home" which I think was the point of your original post, ie to me it read like a warning that just because you are in a "nice area" you are not necessarily immune, which is a valid point.

Yes, it very much sounds like taking some utterly meaningless statistic ("where they live" could mean anything from a few houses nearby to an entire city) to try to sound shocking. It's not poorly written - it's very deliberately written like that to drum up a bit of shock and horror without having to give a real reason for it. A disgusting attempt at playing with peoples' emotions.

My reaction to it was the same as Riedquats. The article has been carefully and deliberately written that way to arouse the greatest reaction.

Noone has responded to the other part of my question however. If you Google the title, you will find pages on pages of local newspapers carrying the identical text on the same day. This is a deliberate attempt at getting us all labeled as potential child abusers, but who is behind it? Barnados?

CRB defending their turf?

My reaction to it was the same as Riedquats. The article has been carefully and deliberately written that way to arouse the greatest reaction.

Noone has responded to the other part of my question however. If you Google the title, you will find pages on pages of local newspapers carrying the identical text on the same day. This is a deliberate attempt at getting us all labeled as potential child abusers, but who is behind it? Barnados?

Yes, it very much sounds like taking some utterly meaningless statistic ("where they live" could mean anything from a few houses nearby to an entire city) to try to sound shocking.

+1

Every time you read it, it takes on a different meaning :lol:

"where they live"..... The general area? In the parents own home? or generally children abused in their own homes?

Now I'm confusing myself :blink:

Signs of a witch hunt: people see witches everywhere!

Things that under normal circumstances are considered perfectly normal get stigmatised, and everyone comes under suspicion.

Mind you, when I was a piglet it was don't talk to strangers, which is also pretty damaging to healthy development :unsure:

I interpreted it as an attempt to get us to think that child abuse is everywhere, therefore give Barnados a load of money, rather than label everyone as an abuser. I suppose you could ask one of the papers. Was it in them all actually as an article, or in advertising space but made to look more like an article? The latter would make it "simply" a large-scale, very cynical, publicity campaign.

Signs of a witch hunt: people see witches everywhere!

Things that under normal circumstances are considered perfectly normal get stigmatised, and everyone comes under suspicion.

Reminds me of this Blackadder I episiode:

Officer: Lords and Ladies of England, this court is summoned to adjudge the most heinous of all crimes, that of witchcraft.

(The crowd screams; Woman 1 falls from her seat, onto the floor)

Officer: Further (???) this day, as the accused is a Prince of the Realm. Step forward, Edmund, Duke of Edinburgh.

(The guards make Edmund stand and take his place; the crowd gasps)

Woman 2: Look at his hair!

Woman 1: His hair proves it!

Officer: Who will defend the accused...

(Percy stands)

Officer: ...and thus condemn himself to certain burning at the stake as a partner in Satan if the accused is found guilty?

(Percy sits, acting quite interested in his book and quill)

:lol:

http://hem.passagen.se/dunsel/ba1-5.htm

I interpreted it as an attempt to get us to think that child abuse is everywhere, therefore give Barnados a load of money, rather than label everyone as an abuser. I suppose you could ask one of the papers. Was it in them all actually as an article, or in advertising space but made to look more like an article? The latter would make it "simply" a large-scale, very cynical, publicity campaign.

It was in the papers as an article, Google returns several hundred hits from a piece of the text. Not just the locals, the nationals as well. That must be most of the local papers in the UK. How is that that they ALL decide to publish the article?

It was in the papers as an article, Google returns several hundred hits from a piece of the text. Not just the locals, the nationals as well. That must be most of the local papers in the UK. How is that that they ALL decide to publish the article?

I've noticed that before for one or two stories. I think that some local papers buy stories from a news agency sometimes.

Do newspapers keep in touch about what stories they're running for the next X days?

Would be amusing if barnados sent it out and no one else realised that EVERYONE else was publishing nearly verbatim the same press release..

The more I dig into it, the more disquieting it becomes. I didn't realise that Barnado's has nothing to do with running childrens homes these days, in fact, it's now involved in running detention centres (Pease Pottage). The are symbiotically linked to government, and get huge amounts of money from them. Their main function seems to be lobbying.

Lobbying for what, exactly?

More state interference, it seems. Someone else has noticed it. It stinks of social engineering.

Telegraph blog

What I don’t understand is this: how did a charity set up by an Irishman to help East End street urchins suddenly become an advocate for the equality industry? And how can a body funded by the state openly lobby for greater state control and therefore spending?

Last year Barnardo’s took over £800,000 from the Welsh Assembly, £330,000 from Ed Balls’ Department for Children, Schools and Families, and £194,500 from the Department of Health. As well as, this they received £200,000 from Birmingham City Council, over £1.5m from Bristol City Council, and several millions from two-dozen other local authorities. While these might have been for particular services rather than donations, this does not change the fact that we have a partially taxpayer-funded body lobbying for greater state involvement, an argument which is then parroted by the state-funded broadcasters.

Some of these large, taxpayer-assisted charities recruit people from the equality quangocracy, and vice versa, the six-figure salaried jobs always advertised in The Guardian, and so Britain has developed a sort of secular clergy. They lecture the rest of us about inequality, discrimination and all the other modern deadly sins, damn those of us who don’t believe in equality of outcome as heretics and sinners, and then they collect a hefty tithe at the end of the day.

The more I dig into it, the more disquieting it becomes. I didn't realise that Barnado's has nothing to do with running childrens homes these days, in fact, it's now involved in running detention centres (Pease Pottage). The are symbiotically linked to government, and get huge amounts of money from them. Their main function seems to be lobbying.

Lobbying for what, exactly?

More state interference, it seems. Someone else has noticed it. It stinks of social engineering.

Telegraph blog

What I don’t understand is this: how did a charity set up by an Irishman to help East End street urchins suddenly become an advocate for the equality industry? And how can a body funded by the state openly lobby for greater state control and therefore spending?

Last year Barnardo’s took over £800,000 from the Welsh Assembly, £330,000 from Ed Balls’ Department for Children, Schools and Families, and £194,500 from the Department of Health. As well as, this they received £200,000 from Birmingham City Council, over £1.5m from Bristol City Council, and several millions from two-dozen other local authorities. While these might have been for particular services rather than donations, this does not change the fact that we have a partially taxpayer-funded body lobbying for greater state involvement, an argument which is then parroted by the state-funded broadcasters.

Some of these large, taxpayer-assisted charities recruit people from the equality quangocracy, and vice versa, the six-figure salaried jobs always advertised in The Guardian, and so Britain has developed a sort of secular clergy. They lecture the rest of us about inequality, discrimination and all the other modern deadly sins, damn those of us who don’t believe in equality of outcome as heretics and sinners, and then they collect a hefty tithe at the end of the day.

Sounds like easy money. Might have to start taking the guardian jobs section.

The more I dig into it, the more disquieting it becomes. I didn't realise that Barnado's has nothing to do with running childrens homes these days, in fact, it's now involved in running detention centres (Pease Pottage).

Martin Narey, Barnado's recently departed Chief Exec was ex-head of the Prison Service so there's a surprise.

His appointment was the single reason I stopped supporting Barnados with a monthly donation.

The trougher trail continues.