House Price Crash Forum

More Companies To Hire Migrant Workers Than School Leavers

Yet many of the young do not bother doing this. Laziness. Pure and simple.

If work were a good thing the rich would keep it for themselves. It's a lazy analysis to simply talk about laziness. More accurately the gains to be made simply do not in their minds justify the effort involved. Perhaps if we offered them a huge bonus- would they be 'lazy' then?

This may well be a mismatch between expectations and reality- but cannot be simply dismissed as 'laziness'- it's a bit more like a cost/benefit analysis.

For example- is a banker on basic salary of millions 'lazy' if he demands an incentive bonus on top? He would argue not- his argument is that the bonus is required to stimulate effort on his part..

Though- oddly- he would probably also argue that unemployed kids should work for low wages purely for 'ethical' reasons :lol::lol::lol:

And see no contradiction between the two positions. :o

Its hard to prove of course- but I suspect the culture of huge overpayment at the top has skewed the entire 'work ethic' model to the point where low paid work- which was once seen as a source of dignity and social value- is now seen as a mugs game- a form of exploitation by the grotesquely overpaid elite.

What's damaging about really serious pay inequality is that it somehow makes mockery of work that is vital and important, but so poorly paid in comparison that it's almost degrading to accept it- what we pay people sends a message about how we value them- and the message of today's lowest paid work is that those who do it are worthless.

So- take a job that offers zero chance of a real independent life and zero social status-for what? To appease some overpaid fat cat who proclaims the value of the work ethic while demanding a bonus for doing his own job?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nonsense IMO. There are a huge number of young in this country who are just lazy and not interested in any sort of hard work. To deny this is to deny the simple truth IMO. Blame it on the fact they can stilll work hard and get money - but wont be able to buy a house ? Fair enough up to a point - however why dont these youngsters save up a wee bit then head off to Canada, Oz or NZ and work there ? Answer me why ? Motivation is not an issue. Opportunity is not an issue - open to al under the age of 30. Lots of very good money to be earned in these places and lots of fun to be had.

Yet many of the young do not bother doing this. Laziness. Pure and simple. Would rather sit on facebook all day and whinge about how tough they have it. Lame. Lame in the extreme. They need to get a grip and go out and take advantage of the opportunities available to them. If they don't ? ZERO sympathy from me.

The mast majority could be having a blast working in a ski resort in Canada or a beach in Oz in 3 months time. If they decide to sit on their **** instead ? Up to them. However they deserve zero sympathy IMO.

Hmm, it's very nice to shout "Nonsense!", but you aren't addressing my point...

If work were a good thing the rich would keep it for themselves. It's a lazy analysis to simply talk about laziness. More accurately the gains to be made simply do not in their minds justify the effort involved. Perhaps if we offered them a huge bonus- would they be 'lazy' then?

This may well be a mismatch between expectations and reality- but cannot be simply dismissed as 'laziness'- it's a bit more like a cost/benefit analysis.

For example- is a banker on basic salary of millions 'lazy' if he demands an incentive bonus on top? He would argue not- his argument is that the bonus is required to stimulate effort on his part..

Though- oddly- he would probably also argue that unemployed kids should work for low wages purely for 'ethical' reasons :lol::lol::lol:

Its hard to prove of course- but I suspect the culture of huge overpayment at the top has skewed the entire 'work ethic' model to the point where low paid work- which was once seen as a source of dignity and social value- is now seen as a mugs game- a form of exploitation by the grotesquely overpaid elite.

What's damaging about really serious pay inequality is that it somehow makes mockery of work that is vital and important, but so poorly paid in comparison that it's almost degrading to accept it- what we pay people sends a message about how we value them- and the message of today's lowest paid work is that those who do it are worthless.

So- take a job that offers zero chance of a real independent life and zero social status-for what? To appease some overpaid fat cat who proclaims the value of the work ethic while demanding a bonus for doing his own job?

+1

I also think a lot of young people been told they need to be successful, that they must earn lots of money, otherwise they are losers, certainly among my late teen kids when I hear them discussing jobs friends have got working in places like McDonalds it is pretty much a badge of shame (and I'm talking in comparison to jobs like working in the local CO OP! lol), it hasn't always been like that, when I left school any job was worthwhile, but I think society in general and politicians by continuously highlighting the rich and successful, and pressuring kids to go to University and to "do better" are putting a lot of stigma on jobs which are boring and mundane, although even these jobs seem to be given to older immigrants by preference anyway.

Edited by madpenguin

The implication of your post was that house prices are a significant, or even the major, issue in this and I think this is untrue; there are other things in life apart from getting a house. Whatever the merits of the argument put forward by CCC I think your original assertion re motivation was wrong.

The implication of your post was that house prices are a significant, or even the major, issue in this and I think this is untrue; there are other things in life apart from getting a house. Whatever the merits of the argument put forward by CCC I think your original assertion re motivation was wrong.

My post was about the purchasing power of X amount of money, although I did use only the example of buying a house (hey, got to stay on topic...).

And how if person A is getting more purchasing power from his labour than person B, he will be more motivated to do his job (or even to get out of bed in the first place).

I'm puzzled as to how you can disagree that financial reward is a motivation? Maybe I'm not following your post?

Risk/Effort and Reward analysis is practiced by every animal every second of every day.

I suppose the Cheetah passing on fully grown adult quarry, and waiting for easier kills is being lazy too.

If you work 40+ hours a week and have an inferior standard of living to those who work none, then you're not some paragon of virtue. You’re just bl00dy stupid.

Risk/Effort and Reward analysis is practiced by every animal every second of every day.

I suppose the Cheetah passing on fully grown adult quarry, and waiting for easier kills is being lazy too.

If you work 40+ hours a week and have an inferior standard of living to those who work none, then you're not some paragon of virtue. You're just bl00dy stupid.

Some would say that means that those who choose not to work get too much handed to them.

My post was about the purchasing power of X amount of money, although I did use only the example of buying a house (hey, got to stay on topic...).

And how if person A is getting more purchasing power from his labour than person B, he will be more motivated to do his job (or even to get out of bed in the first place).

I'm puzzled as to how you can disagree that financial reward is a motivation? Maybe I'm not following your post?

"That's the crux.

£10,000, £100,000, a million, it's all just bits of paper.

The only thing that matters is what you can do with it.

The point being that the Bulgarian can save enough money to buy a decent chunk of a house; the brit can't.

Guess who's going to be more motivated to go to work in the morning? "

The above is your original post in which you linked money reward specifically to house purchase as a main motivation.

I don't disagree that money is a motivation; I disagree that the only motivation for getting money is to buy a house.

If you work 40+ hours a week and have an inferior standard of living to those who work none, then you're not some paragon of virtue. You’re just bl00dy stupid.

Or you're looking towards the future, either "I'll get a better paid job soon" or "this benefit funded insanity can't continue forever"

Some would say that means that those who choose not to work get too much handed to them.

Choose being the word here.

You will always get some people who are lazy

You will always get some people who will still always try to work (even if they're better off on benefits)

However most people will/want to work given the sufficent motivation. A predominately low wage, high tax, high living cost economy is rapidly undermining this motivation to work and better one’s self.

This will be taken onto a whole new level when the inertia creep really starts biting into those once cushy middle class type professions.

No doubt what has happened is having an impact. No doubt about that. However if you are pissed off about it and young ? Why not just stick your fingers up to it all and ****** off to have fun for 3-5 years in various parts of the World ?

That is my simple point. Very few of these youngsters have got a decent reason not to do this. They just cannot be arsed.

Your post was comparing two different people and their motivation to go somewhere to do a job. I think my example of literally hundreds of thousands of UK born youngsters who are not interested in working in other countries (where they may not be able to save up to buy a house) but will almost certainly have an amazing time and learn lots of new things - is addressing your point.

They have the motivation to go and do this. They decide not to. Simple as that IMO. As others have said - working is not all about purchasing power. If you are not motivated to go to another country and have an amazing time instead of sitting in your room complaining about how hard your existence is ? Not much hope.

Thing is many WILL be doing this exactly now. And these are the ones that will have more chance of doing something decent if they decide to come back home. People that put lots of effort in generally do better than people that put less effort in.

"That's the crux.

£10,000, £100,000, a million, it's all just bits of paper.

The only thing that matters is what you can do with it.

The point being that the Bulgarian can save enough money to buy a decent chunk of a house; the brit can't.

Guess who's going to be more motivated to go to work in the morning? "

The above is your original post in which you linked money reward specifically to house purchase as a main motivation.

I don't disagree that money is a motivation; I disagree that the only motivation for getting money is to buy a house.

Indeed. My motivation for working my **** off in NZ was to get smashed on my days off, go on another holiday to Fiji - and pay for 2 months travelling on the way back NOT having to worrya about money or work.

Edited by ccc

:rolleyes:

Or the country will run out of money and the benefit cheques stop coming.

At which point you'll watch with amazement and wonder in how active all those lazy work shy scummers suddenly become.

Some jobs can lead to better things, yes.

Some promise but often fail to deliver (usally down to bad timing)

Whilst most are just plain and simple dead end low paying jobs.

Exactly. And we all know this. So why when people say something like 'Plenty of lazy youngsters in the UK today' - do so many try and deny this simple fact and make excuses for them ?!

Very strange. The entire immigration argument is an easy get out IMO. These same 20 year olds with apparently no opportunities can head off to Oz next month if they want !! Yet they complain about Poles coming here and taking 'Their job in Tesco'.

Pathetic. Get off your **** and go and do something.

How can you say the youth who have not even been given a chance to prove themselfs are lazy, we are talking about a lot of youngsters who will not even get that chance to prove themselfs the way things are going, the foriegn workers are not all as good as they say, the industry i work for has a large turnover of foriegn workers and a lot just go from one company to another and as in some cases try to get back into some companys using a different name, I,ve seen it,. I have seen all sorts of scams with some of these workers and it will all come back to bite us, There are over 5% of polish unemployed in the UK now a lot who can now claim full benefits. same as i said we are just importing unemployment.

The Immigration is not a get out ,the simple mathmatical fact is this country cannot sustain growing millions of unemployed and just allowing millions more to add to the already high percentage of unemployed will only end in trouble one way or another.

Edited by awaytogo

At which point you'll watch with amazement and wonder in how active all those lazy work shy scummers suddenly become.

After 10+ years of doing nothing nothing more strenuous than walking to the off-licence for 20 Benson + a 6 pack of Stella - best of luck to them.

Not required. And not really possible either. Doubt there is an accurate way you can measure hard work for many jobs.

Just look at the employers. Lots here employ Polish because they know they are more likely to work hard. Why do you think many farms employ travelling Brits in Oz and NZ to pick fruits in scorching heat ? Because we are known for our skills in it :lol:

Nah - because they know we will work hard due to the situation.

The overall situation is a fairly complex matter. However people who go abroad to work are likely to put more effort into it and therefore more likely to get the job. Pretty simple.

Lost of young Brits in the UK are simply lazy and lots of foreigners who come here are simply not. Who would you employ ? Whether they should be 'allowed' to come here or not is another debate. Clearly related of course though.

Nonsense IMO. There are a huge number of young in this country who are just lazy and not interested in any sort of hard work. To deny this is to deny the simple truth IMO. Blame it on the fact they can stilll work hard and get money - but wont be able to buy a house ? Fair enough up to a point - however why dont these youngsters save up a wee bit then head off to Canada, Oz or NZ and work there ? Answer me why ? Motivation is not an issue. Opportunity is not an issue - open to al under the age of 30. Lots of very good money to be earned in these places and lots of fun to be had.

Yet many of the young do not bother doing this. Laziness. Pure and simple. Would rather sit on facebook all day and whinge about how tough they have it. Lame. Lame in the extreme. They need to get a grip and go out and take advantage of the opportunities available to them. If they don't ? ZERO sympathy from me.

The mast majority could be having a blast working in a ski resort in Canada or a beach in Oz in 3 months time. If they decide to sit on their **** instead ? Up to them. However they deserve zero sympathy IMO.

What a load of ********.

Its not just entrance level jobs that have been taken by immigrants. Over the past year >75% of new jobs created have gone to non-uk born. So its not just minimum wage earners who have been replaced but individuals at a variety of levels above and beyond that. These will be individuals who have 2/3/10 years of experience in their chosen careers, individuals who have proven through their previous work history that they are anything but lazy.

Its as i said before, employers can get foreign workers at a lower cost per unit 'skill' due to the ability of these workers to cost arbitrage when returning to their home nations. Consider this - the average yearly wage in bulgaria is ~£3K, in poland ~£8k. UK workers can in no way shape or form compete on this basis and are priced out.

Or maybe we all need to wear face masks to protect ourselves against the hitherto undiscovered lazitus epidemicus virus.

Will you be the worlds next alexander flemming?

Edited by alexw

No doubt what has happened is having an impact. No doubt about that. However if you are pissed off about it and young ? Why not just stick your fingers up to it all and ****** off to have fun for 3-5 years in various parts of the World ?

That is my simple point. Very few of these youngsters have got a decent reason not to do this. They just cannot be arsed.

Your post was comparing two different people and their motivation to go somewhere to do a job. I think my example of literally hundreds of thousands of UK born youngsters who are not interested in working in other countries (where they may not be able to save up to buy a house) but will almost certainly have an amazing time and learn lots of new things - is addressing your point.

They have the motivation to go and do this. They decide not to. Simple as that IMO. As others have said - working is not all about purchasing power. If you are not motivated to go to another country and have an amazing time instead of sitting in your room complaining about how hard your existence is ? Not much hope.

Thing is many WILL be doing this exactly now. And these are the ones that will have more chance of doing something decent if they decide to come back home. People that put lots of effort in generally do better than people that put less effort in.

Indeed. My motivation for working my **** off in NZ was to get smashed on my days off, go on another holiday to Fiji - and pay for 2 months travelling on the way back NOT having to worrya about money or work.

I think you are basing your entire life experience and applying it to everyone else.

Do I want to move to New Zealand? No, not one single bit. My family, friends and life is here. Why should I move 3,000 miles away from it and slave in some banana plantation? Will that really make me happy?

Most people want a simple life. There will always be a small percentage of the population like you, willing to travel the world and jump at opportunities. But please don't apply you world views on everyone else and call everyone else "lazy" for not agreeing with you.

The real problem in this country for the young (of which I am one, and have witnessed) is there is utterly no security in jobs whatsoever. Employers want you for minimal wages, only for the periods where they can milk you for as much as possible, then when you are not required they fire you. I stopped studying 1.5 years ago and have already been through 4 jobs. I am not in one bit lazy, I am not a retard, I am not a liability. I just applied or hunted for these jobs, was milked for a few months sold the lie that I would get more hours/high wages then thrown on the scrapheap once done with.

Please CCC, listen to this because I know. I am 22 and speak and hang around with my age group an awful lot. All are going through the same things. People are changing jobs with the wind, as nearly all jobs are now short term or part-time. This is the major dissencentive. Most people I know would actually be willing to work for minimum wage if they had job security and were valued.

This lack of job security is unprecedented and really has never been witnessed through history on such a massive scale. It is going to cause massive social deterioration, and subsequent problems with family breakdowns, depression, suicide, crime etc

Please change your blinkered view on people being "lazy" and just open your eyes. What suits and applies to you does not apply to everyone.

How can you say the youth who have not even been given a chance to prove themselfs are lazy, we are talking about a lot of youngsters who will not even get that chance to prove themselfs the way things are going,

How many of them have lifted a finger to try to prove themselves? If they've gone looking for chances and not found anything that's one thing but I doubt they've ever wanted to try. Such people have always existed, but in the past it was get up anyway or starve. Now they'll just laze around and bleat about how it's all someone else's fault because they've not been handed a chance. To get any sympathy they need to show that they aren't the problem.

How many of them have lifted a finger to try to prove themselves? If they've gone looking for chances and not found anything that's one thing but I doubt they've ever wanted to try. Such people have always existed, but in the past it was get up anyway or starve. Now they'll just laze around and bleat about how it's all someone else's fault because they've not been handed a chance. To get any sympathy they need to show that they aren't the problem.

I am talking about youngsters who have not even left school yet having a chance to prove themselfs, you cannot prove yourself until you have had a chance, and as i said in my first reply with the vast excess of labour in this country some will strugle to get a chance to prove themselfs.

How can you say the youth who have not even been given a chance to prove themselfs are lazy, we are talking about a lot of youngsters who will not even get that chance to prove themselfs the way things are going, the foriegn workers are not all as good as they say, the industry i work for has a large turnover of foriegn workers and a lot just go from one company to another and as in some cases try to get back into some companys using a different name, I,ve seen it,. I have seen all sorts of scams with some of these workers and it will all come back to bite us, There are over 5% of polish unemployed in the UK now a lot who can now claim full benefits. same as i said we are just importing unemployment.

The Immigration is not a get out ,the simple mathmatical fact is this country cannot sustain growing millions of unemployed and just allowing millions more to add to the already high percentage of unemployed will only end in trouble one way or another.

Because there are lots of opportunities out there for the taking. That is it. The ones who take them will mostly do ok - and the ones who do not will mostly not. As I have said numerous times before. It is a sliding scale of effort required that changes depending on the economic circumstances. Some times more will do well and other times more will not. Very simple logic. We are going through a tough time so the effort required will increase. Some will rise to it and others will not.

What a load of ********.

Its not just entrance level jobs that have been taken by immigrants. Over the past year >75% of new jobs created have gone to non-uk born. So its not just minimum wage earners who have been replaced but individuals at a variety of levels above and beyond that. These will be individuals who have 2/3/10 years of experience in their chosen careers, individuals who have proven through their previous work history that they are anything but lazy.

Its as i said before, employers can get foreign workers at a lower cost per unit 'skill' due to the ability of these workers to cost arbitrage when returning to their home nations. Consider this - the average yearly wage in bulgaria is ~£3K, in poland ~£8k. UK workers can in no way shape or form compete on this basis and are priced out.

Or maybe we all need to wear face masks to protect ourselves against the hitherto undiscovered lazitus epidemicus virus.

Will you be the worlds next alexander flemming?

So, as I have already said, if it is all so shit why don't they just head off somewhere else and give something else a go ? I have asked this numerous times and get very few answers.

Pissed off 20 year old : "I am so depresses this country is so shite I have no opportunities, there is nothing to do what is the point."

Me: "Errr, why don't you go and work in Oz or NZ or Canada for a years. See what happens. May make it work permenently or maybe just have a great time and come back and then see if things have improved here ?"

Pissed off 20 year old :"Eh, well, errr, well, er, well, nah I couldn't coz, emm errr well,well I would love to but I cant coz emm errr emmm errr well..."

You see what I am getting at ? Life requires a bit of effort and adventure. If you don't do that - up to you ? However sorry - no sympathy from me and please don't whinge to me about how tough your life is. People in the UK have it so cruisy it is incredible. They just do not realise it. At least I am slightly different in that I actually appreciate how piss easy I have it.

I think you are basing your entire life experience and applying it to everyone else.

Quite possibly. However if I don't like something and I can do something about it ? I will at least try to change it. I am just saying others should do the same.

Do I want to move to New Zealand? No, not one single bit. My family, friends and life is here. Why should I move 3,000 miles away from it and slave in some banana plantation? Will that really make me happy?

Well from my experience of many hundreds of people who have done it ? Yes. You ever tried it ? No. So how do you know it won't make you happy ? You starting to get it yet. ;)

Most people want a simple life. There will always be a small percentage of the population like you, willing to travel the world and jump at opportunities. But please don't apply you world views on everyone else and call everyone else "lazy" for not agreeing with you.

I am not calling people lazy for not travelling the World.i am calling them lazy for not trying anything different outside their comfort zone in order to improve their life.

And I can tell you one thing. Living in a tent in NZ and doing different jobs day to day is about as simple a life as you can get.

The real problem in this country for the young (of which I am one, and have witnessed) is there is utterly no security in jobs whatsoever. Employers want you for minimal wages, only for the periods where they can milk you for as much as possible, then when you are not required they fire you. I stopped studying 1.5 years ago and have already been through 4 jobs. I am not in one bit lazy, I am not a retard, I am not a liability. I just applied or hunted for these jobs, was milked for a few months sold the lie that I would get more hours/high wages then thrown on the scrapheap once done with.

No - this is a problem for people of all ages. Why does being young make you special and deserving of more sympathy than a 40 year old in the same situation ? Quite the opposite in my opinion. You can still go off and do random things around the World and try different jobs/careers - without worries of mortgages or kids or whatever ( I presume and I am just talking generally here for the 'young')

Please CCC, listen to this because I know. I am 22 and speak and hang around with my age group an awful lot. All are going through the same things. People are changing jobs with the wind, as nearly all jobs are now short term or part-time. This is the major dissencentive. Most people I know would actually be willing to work for minimum wage if they had job security and were valued.

I think you are basing your entire life experience and applying it to everyone else ;)

Many people quite like changing jobs all the time and the last thing they want at the age of 22 is 'security'.

This lack of job security is unprecedented and really has never been witnessed through history on such a massive scale. It is going to cause massive social deterioration, and subsequent problems with family breakdowns, depression, suicide, crime etc

Really ? I have no time machine so I cannot check for sure. However I think you are very very very wrong. If someone from 1850 Bolton came to you today in a time machine ? I doubt they would be having too much sympathy and shedding too many tears for you.

Please change your blinkered view on people being "lazy" and just open your eyes. What suits and applies to you does not apply to everyone.

I do not, have not, and will not say that everyone is lazy. I just think a large number in this country are and many will look for any excuse not to admit it. Why has this happened ? Who knows. There are most probably.a number of different reasons The 'Because I 'm worth it' culture being #1 in my opinion.

Agreed. I have total sympathy for those that try their hardest and just get dealt a seriously shite hand by life. However I do not see many of them around. I see a lot of people saying this sort of thing, then heading back out for a few beers and thinking of their next holiday.

Your part of the precariat.