House Price Crash Forum

Spain To Put Debt Ceiling In Constitution

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2011/08/23/uk-spain-economy-idUKTRE77M21V20110823

'(Reuters) - Spain plans to change its constitution before elections in November to include debt limitations that guarantee budget stability in the medium- and long-term, the prime minister said on Tuesday.'

gotta love it,the words spain and financial stability in the same sentence.

Be interesting if they pass this and then their banks get into trouble..

For an outgoing government, confident on losing the election, this is an outstanding stroke of genius.

Basically, it will cripple whoever takes over next, probably forcing another election within a year with the party in power at the moment storming back to power.

For an outgoing government, confident on losing the election, this is an outstanding stroke of genius.

Basically, it will cripple whoever takes over next, probably forcing another election within a year with the party in power at the moment storming back to power.

Yes. I believe Gordon suggested the same thing after spending the country into a black hole.

The hypocrisy is breathtaking.

Surprising they can act independently of the eu regarding debt these days.

They've probably been instructed to do it but they're trying tp pretend they have a vestige of independence.

Prime Minister Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero said the proposal, which would have full backing from the opposition People's Party (PP),..

Sums it all up - sounds like no true opposition, like the UK as well.

Edited by billybong

::spits coffee over keyboard::

Links 'greens' + putting at (Mr) Pin of course

Edited by erranta

Surprising they can act independently of the eu regarding debt these days.

They've probably been instructed to do it but they're trying tp pretend they have a vestige of independence.

Sums it all up - sounds like no true opposition, like the UK as well.

:lol: Not quite. The PSOE and PP are constantly in each others faces like Barcelona and Madrid after a tackle from Pepe or Marcelo.

Which is quite apt. The PSOE act holier than thou and do lots of tippy tappying without actually ever doing anything, while PP claim the support of Franco and the pope while at the same time being entirely corrupt and saying there is a global conspiracy against them

This is the only poilicy I've ever seen them agree on, which makes me think, like you, that UEFA, sorrym the EU are forcing their hand.

But let's not forget that Spain's debt is lower as a % of GDP than the UK's and US's. And British footballers are crap

:lol: Not quite. The PSOE and PP are constantly in each others faces like Barcelona and Madrid after a tackle from Pepe or Marcelo.

Which is quite apt. The PSOE act holier than thou and do lots of tippy tappying without actually ever doing anything, while PP claim the support of Franco and the pope while at the same time being entirely corrupt and saying there is a global conspiracy against them

This is the only poilicy I've ever seen them agree on, which makes me think, like you, that UEFA, sorrym the EU are forcing their hand.

But let's not forget that Spain's debt is lower as a % of GDP than the UK's and US's. And British footballers are crap

A bit like UK parties then (constantly in each others faces and sniping at each other for appearances sake but no real opposition worth mentioning) and when they get into power enact policies almost indistinguishable from each other.

There are so few British footballers left they can barely put up a team for England.

Edited by billybong

A bit like UK parties then (constantly in each others faces and sniping at each other for appearances sake but no real opposition worth mentioning) and when they get into power enact policies almost indistinguishable from each other.

There are so few British footballers left they can barely put up a team for England.

The IU i.e. the Spanish communist party were against the policy

There are some serious left-wing elements to Spanish politics and actually even more so amongst Spanish youth. The Republican spirit is still strong among a large part of society. The Indignados movement (bless them) are based on a spirit of Spanish anarchy which doesnt mean going round robbing Nike trainers, but rejects institutionalism and gives the power back to the people.

For me, this is the future and I hope when the current system goes bust, the young Spanish people will repopulate their grandparents villages and create a series of local economies run by the people for the people without a corrupt well paid mayor at the head.

Being blatently fascist is still a taboo after Franco, but you only need to put two and two together to realise that the PP are fascists in not so cunning disguises. They are so fascist they actively support policies that come out of the US :)

Do you know if they have to hold a referendum to change the constitiution?

This is the great impediment to EZ attempts to protect itself. States have to do the budgetary thing, but then come the giant treaties necessitating constitutional change. Takes yeeeears. They don't have that time.

Do you know if they have to hold a referendum to change the constitiution?

This is the great impediment to EZ attempts to protect itself. States have to do the budgetary thing, but then come the giant treaties necessitating constitutional change. Takes yeeeears. They don't have that time.

No need for a referendum, the house can pass it, they are having two meetings on 31 Aug and 2 Sep (I think). If 60% of the house vote for it then the amendment is passed, no need to even go to the senate.

So, the change will take less than 2 weeks to take effect and will be in place well before the general elections in November

I should add that this is the first amendment to the Spanish constitution since it was founded 30 years ago

The IU i.e. the Spanish communist party were against the policy

There are some serious left-wing elements to Spanish politics and actually even more so amongst Spanish youth. The Republican spirit is still strong among a large part of society. The Indignados movement (bless them) are based on a spirit of Spanish anarchy which doesnt mean going round robbing Nike trainers, but rejects institutionalism and gives the power back to the people.

For me, this is the future and I hope when the current system goes bust, the young Spanish people will repopulate their grandparents villages and create a series of local economies run by the people for the people without a corrupt well paid mayor at the head.

Being blatently fascist is still a taboo after Franco, but you only need to put two and two together to realise that the PP are fascists in not so cunning disguises. They are so fascist they actively support policies that come out of the US :)

I pretty much agree with this - although I wouldn't necessarily associate the indignados with being anarchists. The Spanish (like the French) suffer from an electoral system that promotes an untouchable political class and where change occurs through revolution rather than evolution. The indignados are as much a product of this than any cultural urge to reject the institutions. They want accountable politicians rather than no politicians at all.

The PP represent the "old money" in Spain - i.e. money made under Franco - so they do attract the fascists and Franco apologists, while the PSOE represent the economically illiterate. So there really isn't much of a choice for most Spanish voters.