House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
tomandlu

Wikileaks And Boa

From the Register...

WikiLeaks has explained the non-appearance of Bank of America data it frequently promised to publish: a defector took the only copies with him when he left the organisation and has now deleted the files.

Daniel Domscheit-Berg left WikiLeaks last summer and took the documents with him following a dispute with Julian Assange. This seems to have centred on Berg's relationship with a woman at Microsoft.

Berg was suspended at the end of August 2010 and, WikiLeaks claims, has tried to extract money from the group in return for their data. In January he set up his own version of WikiLeaks, but the site has been inactive since then. He also wrote a book about his time at the site.

Assange's organisation confirmed on Twitter that Berg had destroyed 20 gigabytes of information from the Bank of America, the entire US no-fly list and US intercept arrangements for 100 companies as well as details and emails from 20 neo-Nazi groups and a German far right group.

How convenient... I tend to avoid assuming unnecessary conspiracy theories, but I'm at least 50/50 on this one...

(edit to correct title...)

Edited by tomandlu

Thanks for that - that does sound very suspicious, although when you see what has happened to Assange and Bradley Manning, you might get a bit reluctant to post traceable materials on Wikileaks.

From the Register...

How convenient... I tend to avoid assuming unnecessary conspiracy theories, but I'm at least 50/50 on this one...

:D

The day a paranoid organisation like wikileaks don't have 10,000 backups in different locations of every piece of data they have, pigs will fly.

I can't help linking the BOA data with the legal case against that blond guy. We've just gone to war to protect the contracts of a few companies, to imagine the international legal process has been corrupted for the sake of a bank is no stretch at all.

Thanks for that - that does sound very suspicious, although when you see what has happened to Assange and Bradley Manning, you might get a bit reluctant to post traceable materials on Wikileaks.

I'm inclined to agree, or at least they're saying the data is gone for their own protection, as people disappear all the time.

I wouldn't say things don't add up with regard to the details they said they were going to publish, as BoM seems to be in a lot of strife right now.

Update on the situation also posted on an FT blog:

http://blogs.ft.com/fttechhub/2011/08/wikileaks-bank-of-america-data-has-been-destroyed/#ixzz1VqZ2QsIJ

According to Wikileaks, the information in Mr Domscheit-Berg’s possession included “a copy of the entire US no-fly list” – the listing of terrorist suspects who are to be barred from boarding planes in the US. It also included “five gigabytes from the Bank of America,” as well as “US intercept arrangements for over 100 internet companies” and “600 emails from NPD.”

Basically, if its true and this chap deleted the data and backups of the data then why? Maybe he has a copy himself and wanted to use the data to launch his "OpenLeaks" site. Or,he was paid off by the US State Department, Bank of America, Illuminati, et al.

Edited by Redback911