House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ken_ichikawa

I Don't Get It

Seriously why do countries store their gold overseas? Why does germany keep 60% in the US. In that it seems to be a mirror reflection of paper gold companies vs real gold holders....

I.e. if you aint got it in your hand then you don't own it.

Why do countries store it in London....

Why not do keep it in their respective home countries? What benefits does it incur to store it in London or New York? Since they probably have to pay a storage fee and have every chance to have it stolen.

Seriously why?

:)

Would it really be safer in the same country?

What about if Berlusconi was the PM? (for example)

Either that or it's part of a global scam aimed at making people think there is more gold available than there really is, I doubt that though..

Seriously why do countries store their gold overseas? Why does germany keep 60% in the US. In that it seems to be a mirror reflection of paper gold companies vs real gold holders....

I.e. if you aint got it in your hand then you don't own it.

Why do countries store it in London....

Why not do keep it in their respective home countries? What benefits does it incur to store it in London or New York? Since they probably have to pay a storage fee and have every chance to have it stolen.

Seriously why?

Well historically in the gold standard days I believe that when the US had to make a payment of dollars to another country, say France, they could just wheel the gold bullion from the US vault to the French vault at Fort Knox. Much easier and less risky than shipping gold bullion across continents. It therefore became convenient to keep the gold of several countries in one place.

Well historically in the gold standard days I believe that when the US had to make a payment of dollars to another country, say France, they could just wheel the gold bullion from the US vault to the French vault at Fort Knox. Much easier and less risky than shipping gold bullion across continents. It therefore became convenient to keep the gold of several countries in one place.

I'm amazed at how much trust this implies. "Sure France, no worries, we've got your gold all safe and sound in the vaults here. What? Tungsten cores? Now, you know better than to listen to conspiracy theories. It's all there, good as gold, we swear." :D

http://www.marketoracle.co.uk/Article14996.html

But there is a silver..... or rather gold lining.

If loads of those 400oz bad boys turn out to be salted tungsten plated bars, then it means that real gold is even rarer than we thought. Which means even less supply which means instead of gold going to the moon, it will end up somewhere in Alpha centuri.

http://www.marketoracle.co.uk/Article14996.html

But there is a silver..... or rather gold lining.

If loads of those 400oz bad boys turn out to be salted tungsten plated bars, then it means that real gold is even rarer than we thought. Which means even less supply which means instead of gold going to the moon, it will end up somewhere in Alpha centuri.

Could it be that this is a well-known secret amongst TPTB of various nations? As long as the gold stays put and isn't independently audited then it is serving its purpose quite nicely? As long as nobody points out that the Emperor is wearing no clothes...

Interesting that some of the bars from the 1983 Heathrow gold heist were apparently made of tungsten (reported in the media as crims having made forgeries using the exact serial numbers and smelter IDs from the stolen bars - hmmm, alrighty then!). Perhaps an inside insurance job to disappear the tungsten?!

Also could it be that Gordy knew that the gold he was selling was snide? He wasn't prepared to risk it and was happier to sell it in bulk, even at a bargain price?

Could it be that this is a well-known secret amongst TPTB of various nations? As long as the gold stays put and isn't independently audited then it is serving its purpose quite nicely? As long as nobody points out that the Emperor is wearing no clothes...

Interesting that some of the bars from the 1983 Heathrow gold heist were apparently made of tungsten (reported in the media as crims having made forgeries using the exact serial numbers and smelter IDs from the stolen bars - hmmm, alrighty then!). Perhaps an inside insurance job to disappear the tungsten?!

Also could it be that Gordy knew that the gold he was selling was snide? He wasn't prepared to risk it and was happier to sell it in bulk, even at a bargain price?

Good Question.... I can only think Security ?