House Price Crash Forum
Trampa501

Famous Notting Hill Bookshop Closes Down

Bookshop closes

You may know it as Hugh Grant’s workplace in ‘Notting Hill’ or as the purveyor of fine travel literature on Portobello Road but we are sad to hear that after 32 years, The Travel Bookshop is closing down. The only thing to soften the blow is that from today (until stock runs out) it holds a closing down sale with 50% off all books, which is a bargain and a half. Go and support what has been a national institution and – who’d have thought it? – one of London’s key tourist attractions. As journeys go, this place has had a long and colourful one.

I'm ashamed to admit I didn't know this place existed in reality.

Another Amazon victim?

We should bookmark this as a special case. The owners should have shown more spine.

Seriously, if this place was so damn successful and a draw for tourists why were they not a viable concern?

We should bookmark this as a special case. The owners should have shown more spine.

Seriously, if this place was so damn successful and a draw for tourists why were they not a viable concern?

Perhaps it is simply more profitable being sold to a rich foreigner for conversion to a home?

My wife was manager of this place when I met her. She was there a few years, and could tell you a few stories about Russian billionaires' boats' libraries and tourists who took pictures but didn't spend any money.

Independent bookshops were a dying breed ten years ago; I'm surprised it lasted this long.

Don't tell us how it ends.

They always die in the end. Sadly I've heard it all before, chapter and verse.

Once upon a time, Portobello road was a decent place, filled with antique and other rare shops.

Then, one day, the god Mammon visited and people bowed down to his might and worshipped him all day and all night.

Sadly, people didn't live happily ever after.

---

Portobello road has been dying for a while now. Many of the decent independent and quirky shops have gone and have been replaced by tat - not necessarily the low-grade Chinese tat, but those silly 'craft fayre' things - like hippy bracelets and other useless junk. There are a few shops selling big ticket stuff left (notably antiques, cameras, etc.) but having visited a few to examine their wares, my opinion is that they're as bent as three-bob notes; basically, looking to take advantage of tourists. I've seen total junk (e.g. 'antique' furniture 'repaired' with bits of MDF stained to the right colour, and with 'grain' drawn in with a felt-tip pen, then varnished and french polished) sold to tourists at eye-watering prices who have walked away sure that they have got a bargain. You could lose every shop on Portobello, and I doubt any would be seriously missed.

Edited by ChumpusRex

Sadly I've heard it all before, chapter and verse.

They should have started a new line.

Or started cooking the books.

Now they're going to have to jacket in.

The business has come to a full stop.

You can quote me on that.

Portobello road has been dying for a while now. Many of the decent independent and quirky shops have gone and have been replaced by tat - not necessarily the low-grade Chinese tat, but those silly 'craft fayre' things - like hippy bracelets and other useless junk. There are a few shops selling big ticket stuff left (notably antiques, cameras, etc.) but having visited a few to examine their wares, my opinion is that they're as bent as three-bob notes; basically, looking to take advantage of tourists. I've seen total junk (e.g. 'antique' furniture 'repaired' with bits of MDF stained to the right colour, and with 'grain' drawn in with a felt-tip pen, then varnished and french polished) sold to tourists at eye-watering prices who have walked away sure that they have got a bargain. You could lose every shop on Portobello, and I doubt any would be seriously missed.