House Price Crash Forum
Visitor

What Does Govt See As A Baseline Job That Should Facilitate A Secure Family Home?

I’m curious. Setting-aside any available cash, the bank of Mum & Dad and return to safer mortgage lending practices - What does our Government consider to be a baseline job that might enable a worker to secure housing suitable for raising a family modestly?

Particularly in the light of, perhaps, £50,000 student loan obligations.

I’d like to think this question is considered and that the provision of rental housing welfare to those that reach retirement does not come as a total surprise to the government some years down the road?

I’m curious. Setting-aside any available cash, the bank of Mum & Dad and return to safer mortgage lending practices - What does our Government consider to be a baseline job that might enable a worker to secure housing suitable for raising a family modestly?

I’d like to think this question is considered and that the provision of rental housing welfare to those that reach retirement does not come as a total surprise to the government some years down the road?

But by then it will be another government. So, obviously, this doesn't matter.

Short-termism. It's the British way.

A very good point.

Perhaps a question for one's MP. Or Grant (Mis) Shapps perhaps.

I don't think they would be able to answer it, but it might make them think.

he might answer if the question is asked innovatively enough

It's a bit like "affordable housing." Never defined. More a sop to placate FTBs whilst ignoring the real problem - house prices are too high!

If you can't claim on it, make a soundbite of it, or rent it out then no one in government gives a shite about it. These were the guys who were too busy flipping their property portfolio's to notice that shelter had become unaffordable for a large section of the society they were supposed to be running.

Notice that when they talk about the obligation to work they make no mention of the obligation to pay a living wage.

Seems to be mesured by a baseload shitload of debt that they want to sink the average memeber of the population under raher than anything else.

No wonder the economy is in a mess.

Should affordable housing be affordable?

It seemed in this country we have two types of property: "affordable housing" (usually subsidising the developer and suckering the naive), and "unaffordable housing". (the type that makes you 'rich beyond your wildest dreams.'*

*If you believe 'debt is wealth.'

A baseline job.

I don't think they give that a moments thought but that's why they want debt to be easier and easier to give the mirage that everything's affordable - only via debt.

A baseline bribe for your vote - then maybe then you're smokin' :lol: .

Usually it's a baseline bribe that they can find a way to easily renege on again and again.

Edited by billybong

Speaking as a labour MP, I think a good baseline job would be something like an equal opportunities feng shui coordinator for geriatric single parent Nepalese lesbian amputees: This is the backbone of British society that the nation can be proud of and we can build our exports from these fine professionals. I don't know what a baseline salary should be. I'm on about sixty grand so maybe they should be on maybe half that. Thirty grand? Sounds about right. Everyone should be entitled to that: It's their right. I mean, that'll go quite a long way if you charge food and travel costs to your expense account. No doubt the whingers and moaners at HPC.co.uk will say it should be more. Don't those silly so-and-so's realise that the value of their BTL properties will be affected too? Must go, we're about to have a vote on whether we should increase our pension entitlements above RPI inflation to make up for our public sacrifice. Yes or no? Let me think...

VOTE LABOUR