House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pole

The Church That Became A Supermarket

Consumerism is the new religion in the UK. Full stop. And you can't get better evidence to support that statement than the pictures below. :blink:

From the article:

‘I suppose it represents people’s priorities nowadays – the convenience of being able to buy their bread a few miles closer is more important than prayer and religion.’

DM LINK

article-2028609-0D6807FF00000578-270_468x438.jpg

article-2028609-0D7EB1AD00000578-58_468x329.jpg

I have to say I thought the photo was a joke, but when I realised it wasn't it did initially make me a bit uncomfortable. Then I thought about it and realised that as Bob for the Fed says, it's better than a building like that being knocked down or going to rot. It's a bit hypocritical on my part, because I'm an atheist and only go to church for weddings and funerals.

How about the rest of you? Are you actually going to Church and putting money in the collection tray to support the upkeep of the building. If not, who are we to complain? As an atheist I think I'd rather have a Tesco's in an urban church like this, where I can shop on Sunday, than live in a society where social pressures force me to go to the same building and sit on an uncomfortable bench and listen to some bloke spout rubbish for an hour every Sunday and then sing some god-awful hymns!

Old news, I know Westbourne fairly well, used to be lots of elderly but perhaps they need a supermarket more than they need assurances of the hereafter? ;)

I'm in Poland, Pole, and as you know the very idea of a church being turned into branch of Tesco or even a Alma would have the people very agitated indeed, churches here are for the most part very heavily used and full of worshippers. Gazeta Polska or Nasz Dziennik might run a 10-page souvenir special if thy find out...

I'm in Poland, Pole, and as you know the very idea of a church being turned into branch of Tesco or even a Alma would have the people very agitated indeed

Well, it's a bit of a shame that the building is now used for something as prosaic as grocery shopping.

And again, we're not talking here about food. Most of the stuff they sell is junk food, or those square-shaped soft white sponges they call bread these days.

What puzzles me is the fact that:on one hand Britain appears to be very progressive and anti-traditional (very little interest in non-material ideas, churches converted into supermarkets, etc.) while on another hand Britain appears to be very old fashioned and traditional (almost everyone blindly worships the bankster system and is happy to make huge financial sacrifices to keep those parasites going).

I have to say I thought the photo was a joke, but when I realised it wasn't it did initially make me a bit uncomfortable.

Still better than converting churches into masonic temples...

1203940652_a97a5b6674_z.jpg

Lets face it, that is the only way that a church is going to get people passing through its doors nowadays. The west grew up, if you put a big gold dome on top of it though ........

Lets face it, that is the only way that a church is going to get people passing through its doors nowadays. The west grew up,

Really? See my earlier point.

If we're so smart and grown up now, then how come most want house prices to be as high as possible and at the same time they are happy to support the cuts so that the government can support the banksters.

Really? See my earlier point.

If we're so smart and grown up now, then how come most want house prices to be as high as possible and at the same time they are happy to support the cuts so that the government can support the banksters.

I was talking, quite clearly, in terms of religion and believing in sky fairies.

It should be obvious why most want high house prices - most have a house/mortgage, hence a vested interest. After all of this time are you still struggling with that? Really?

A church is only a posh brick building like anything else.....a church is a gathering of people, that gathering can meet in a council tower block flat, no difference really. ;)

I was talking, quite clearly, in terms of religion and believing in sky fairies.

It should be obvious why most want high house prices - most have a house/mortgage, hence a vested interest. After all of this time are you still struggling with that? Really?

I'm struggling with that, yes. :P

A church is only a posh brick building like anything else.....a church is a gathering of people, that gathering can meet in a council tower block flat, no difference really. ;)

Sure, I agree.

But a former church with a TESCO sign on it is a very powerful visual summary of the certain social changes that took place in Britain in the last 50 years.

I wonder what the next 50 years will bring. :unsure:

Not the first church to bite the dust in the area.

Another one was knocked down and replaced by flats.

Loads of Shopping Malls (the land rental too) developments etc are owned by Organised religin coining the cash in when you get past their 'front' diversionary companies!

that's what it says in Islam, all that fuss about minarets in Switzerland, there is nothing required about a minaret. Just need a clean uncluttered space to gather and give thanks.

Well, it's a bit of a shame that the building is now used for something as prosaic as grocery shopping.

And again, we're not talking here about food. Most of the stuff they sell is junk food, or those square-shaped soft white sponges they call bread these days.

What puzzles me is the fact that:on one hand Britain appears to be very progressive and anti-traditional (very little interest in non-material ideas, churches converted into supermarkets, etc.) while on another hand Britain appears to be very old fashioned and traditional (almost everyone blindly worships the bankster system and is happy to make huge financial sacrifices to keep those parasites going).

Can you imagine British cemeteries full (and by full I mean busier than a Tesco on a Saturday) with people visiting graves on All Saints Day in November, and British churches packed so that there's room only outside? That's Poland, and perhaps that's how it was in Britain's past, but the reality now is the congregations struggle to even get a few dozen, despite the fact there are less churches than ever and more people than ever. Religion seems to have gone very much out of fashion for native Brits - it's no surprise they see development opportunities in old churches. I can think of a few turned into flats including in Muswell Hill/East Finchley

Sure, I agree.

But a former church with a TESCO sign on it is a very powerful visual summary of the certain social changes that took place in Britain in the last 50 years.

I wonder what the next 50 years will bring. :unsure:

It might go full circle, you never know, someone might invigorate religion in the UK as they do in some parts of the US, or the Alpha Course may go mega, or bad times may cause people to turn in large numbers to religion as in the past. I'm not sure what good it would do, but I guess a community that is together in times of trouble can at least seek comfort from each other, even if 'prayer' is only heard by the pigeons outside

Loads of Shopping Malls (the land rental too) developments etc are owned by Organised religin coining the cash in when you get past their 'front' diversionary companies!

Yes, organised religion is like a commercial enterprise in some countries

You are disrespecting many peoples` beliefs with that rather sweeping statement.

Maybe what you are trying to say is that Jesus Christ was the most influential conman the West has ever seen?

Personally i believe he was exactly who he claimed to be.

Each to their own.Everything we were warned about in the Good Book is happening all around us but i suppose it is a question of some people simply dont want to see it.

Atb.

Yes, organised religion is like a commercial enterprise in some countries

Organised religion has been a commercial enterprise since ancient Egypt

I wonder what reaction they'd get if they did this in a synagogue or mosque.

BLT with a Star of David-Bucks anyone?

Everything we were warned about in the Good Book is happening all around us but i suppose it is a question of some people simply dont want to see it.

All this stuff has happened numerous times before and always will.

that's what it says in Islam, all that fuss about minarets in Switzerland, there is nothing required about a minaret. Just need a clean uncluttered space to gather and give thanks.

Great stuff!

I'm sure I read in The Bible something about building a "simple building" to worship God (old Romanesque type) in as a 'church' of people

Not these Gothic places which Abbot 'Sugar' of France started (near St Clair (Sin-clair!) - even Chartres was built over a sacred Druid meeting place and well vortex

(enclosed within the Cathedral where you are encouraged to do a 'waggledance' over an earth grid power vortice around the pavement maze/labyrinth)

Chartres even has Greek-Druid-Pagan?-style carvings above its front doors mixed in with the biblical themes!

"Surrounding her, in the arching of the vault, the seven Liberal Arts— Grammar, Rhetoric, Dialectic, Arithmetic, Geometry, Astronomy, and Music—form a halo"

(which we don't know that potentially evil or misguided Masonics used their new learned Suffi mathematics to implant 'evil mathematical codes' into their frameworks/building constructs)

Templars = first Western Bankers learned knowledge from Suffi-turk-Dervish freemasonics

> upcoming, 'successful' banksters are also known as "Young Turks"!

eg 'Fab' Fabrice makes up incomprehensible financial rip-offs

Hint - Bankers/The City rebel against our Govts and other populations Worldwide!

The Roman Church hit upon schooling as a useful adjunct, and so what few schools could be found after the fall of Rome were in ecclesiastical hands, remaining there for the next eleven or twelve centuries. Promotion inside the Church began to depend on having first received training of the Hellenic type. Thus a brotherhood of thoughtful men was created from the demise of the Empire and from the necessity of intellectually defining the new mission. As the Church experimented with schooling, students met originally at the teacher's house, but gradually some church space was dedicated for the purpose. Thanks to competition among Church officials, each Bishop strove to offer a school and these, in time to be called Cathedral schools, attracted attention and some important sponsorship, each being a showcase of the Bishop's own educational taste.

When the Germanic tribes evacuated northern Europe, overrunning the south, cathedral schools and monastic schools trained the invading leadership—a precedent of disregarding local interests which has continued ever after. Cathedral schools were the important educational institutions of the Middle Ages; from them derived all the schools of western Europe, at least in principle.

In practice, however, few forms of later schooling would be the intense intellectual centers these were. The Seven Liberal Arts made up the main curriculum; lower studies were composed of grammar, rhetoric, and dialectic. Grammar was an introduction to literature, rhetoric an introduction to law and history, dialectic the path to philosophical and metaphysical disputation. Higher studies included arithmetic, geometry, music, and astronomy. Arithmetic was well beyond simple calculation, entering into descriptive and analytical capacities of numbers and their prophetic use (which became modern statistics); geometry embraced geography and surveying; music covered a broad course in theory; astronomy prepared entry into physics and advanced mathematics.

Between the eleventh and the fourteenth centuries, an attempt to reduce the influence of emotionality in religion took command of church policy. Presenting the teachings of the Church in scientific form became the main ecclesiastical purpose of school, a tendency called scholasticism. This shift from emotion to intellect resulted in great skill in analysis, in comparison and contrasts, in classifications and abstraction, as well as famous verbal hairsplitting—like how many angels could dance on the head of a pin. Scholasticism became the basis for future upper-class schooling.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wisdom hath builded her house,.... Or "Wisdoms": of which see Proverbs 1:20;

Christ, the Wisdom of God, is meant, in whom and from whom all wisdom is. Various are the opinions concerning this house built by him.

Some take it to be the whole circle of sciences, and the seven pillars to be the seven liberal ones, as Aben Ezra; though rather, as others, it may design the schools of the prophets, in which young men were trained up in the knowledge of divine and spiritual things.

Some would have the whole universe to be meant, and the seven pillars to be the seven days of creation, as Jarchi; or the seven planets, as others: it is an odd notion of Grotius, that the human body is intended, with its five senses; and, to make up the number seven, adds the voice and memory: rather the human nature of Christ, which is a temple, a tabernacle, a house in which the Godhead dwells, is built by Wisdom, made without the hands of men; and then its seven pillars are the graces of the Spirit, by which it was supported and adorned; see Isaiah 11:2;

Some understand it of the temple of a regenerate man's heart; in which God, Father, Son and Spirit, dwell. But there are two other senses, which bid fairest one of them to be right; either the heavenly glory, the house not made with hands, Christ's Father's house, in which are many mansions for his people; and which is a city whose builder and maker is God, and is prepared by Christ; and stands firm upon the promises of God, the person, blood, and righteousness of Christ, and the grace of the blessed Spirit: or rather the church of Christ on earth, the house of the living God, the pillar and ground of truth; this is built by Christ upon himself, the rock and foundation; the materials of it are true believers, precious and lively stones; built up a spiritual house, and a fit and suitable habitation for God through the Spirit. Such a house there was under the Old Testament, and such an one there is under the New; and which is continually building up by Christ by means of the word and ordinances, and will continue to the end of the world; see 1 Timothy 3:15;

she hath hewn out her seven pillars; ministers of the Gospel, compared to pillars for strength and stability, and for their being instrumental in supporting the interest and church of Christ; in allusion to the pillars in Solomon's temple, Jachin and Boaz; see Galatians 2:9.

These are said to be "hewn", being polished, beautified, and adorned with the gifts and graces of the Spirit by Christ, and thereby fitted for their work and service; and said to be "seven", because there is a complete and sufficient number of them, which Christ has provided, and always will provide for his churches, as long as they continue in the world.

Though it may be these seven pillars may denote in general the firmness and solidity of this spiritual building, the church, and the continuance of it by the power of God; or they may have respect to the seven states of the church in so many periods of time, to last to the end of all things, signified by the seven churches in the book of the Revelation; so Cocceius

With all the mays/coulds/said to be's -This is the problem of unauthorised persons trying to interpret the Bible (putting their best guesses/ideas into your heads)

Bit more about Chartres >>>

Vortices are high energy spots on the Earth. Earth energy is due to its electromagnetic field. NASA research has proved that the human energy field is tuned in to certain 'Earth Waves'. The joining on the surface of the Earth are 'hot spots' of energy focus which we know as the vortices of the Earth, these are linked by ley lines. A Ley line is an energy line, some being of more importance than others.

Earth vortices are analogous to the chakras in the human body. There are 9 major chakras in the body, counting two above the head within the etheric field, which are not normally referred to. There are several minor chakras throughout the body. (See section Chakras)

The arteries in the human body are analogous to the rivers and waterways of Planet Earth. Ley Lines are analogous to the nervous/energy system in the human body.

Vortices should not be confused with ancient sites such as Stonehenge in the UK or the pyramids of Egypt and Yucatan, Mexico etc. These are known to be places of magnetic and spiritual power. They are not all necessarily vortices.

Vortices are not necessarily of the same structure, size or disposition. They can be volcanoes, high mountains, hot springs, mineral deposits, beneath the ocean, deep gorges, rock outcroppings, and even in deserts like the Sinai and Namib.

Many sacred temples and churches have been built near or on powerful minor vortices. For example, Chartres Cathedral in France, some Mayan and Egyptian temples, and the Potala Palace in Tibet.

Proves the higher priesthoods- higher elite secret knowledge fraternals know this stuff. The older churchbuilder masons used dowsing to find these energy spots which they stuck Altars or the font over (which is why a strong vortex/energy point makes you feel weird as you approach the altar/font.)

Nearly all UK main Power grid Pylons follow energy lines many passsing over towns/villages with -ley in the name makeup!

Within Chartres the Windows have a special glass inserted that makes me(you) feel really weird cos it changes the light wave frequencies as they pass through the stained glass "Chartres Blue" - probably to make you more receptive to organised religins indoctrination.

In the 12 hundreds their obscene wealth made idiots of the elite priesthoods who staggered around with pounds of Gold chains, jewels and assorted other 'bling' - whilst they walked over/past peasants dying in the streets before them!

You are disrespecting many peoples` beliefs with that rather sweeping statement.

Maybe what you are trying to say is that Jesus Christ was the most influential conman the West has ever seen?

Personally i believe he was exactly who he claimed to be.

Each to their own.Everything we were warned about in the Good Book is happening all around us but i suppose it is a question of some people simply dont want to see it.

Atb.

I dont wish to disrespect you personally but you must realise that you are now the minority.

I am not even sure that jesus ever existed tbh but if he did I would not say that he was a conman, merely that much more was made of him for the purpose of building a religion.

He may well have been prophetic or a healer but water to wine? I dont think so, walking on water? Not a chance.

If he existed, the roman church made much more of his life for their own reasons. I dont hold with the "good book" it offends my intellect.