House Price Crash Forum

Falling House Prices Dash Recovery Hope

HOLA441

http://news.scotsman.com/politics/Falling-house-prices-dash-recovery.6822774.jp

POOR consumer confidence has dashed hopes of a recovery in the depressed Scottish housing market, the latest survey shows today. Average house prices fell by 3.7 per cent across the country between May and July compared to a year ago, Lloyds TSB Scotland said.

Its quarterly Scottish House Price Monitor also showed sales in the first half of this year were down by 12 per cent compared to 2010, including by 17 per cent in June. The banking group warned that consumer confidence remained low and there had been

In a separate measure of consumer optimism for the next year, based on a series of questions, the index remained in the red, at -2 compared with +6 a year ago.

The report comes just weeks after a Registers of Scotland survey showed house sales slumped by more than 10 per cent in April-June on a year ago. Lloyds TSB said there had been a recovery in sales from the "depressed levels" of January and February, increasing in May-July by 27 per cent compared with February-April, but were still half the rate of before the recession.

HOLA442
HOLA443

The headline is misleading; it implies that there is a causal link between falling house prices and the recovery whereas the article says something quite different; that says that the weak recovery has dashed hopes of a recovery in the housing market.

Very sloppy journalism.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

The headline is misleading; it implies that there is a causal link between falling house prices and the recovery whereas the article says something quite different; that says that the weak recovery has dashed hopes of a recovery in the housing market.

Indeed.

Must be bad grammar, they must have meant..

Falling House Prices Dash. Recovery Hope

That would make more sense.

HOLA447

That's the ticket.

It is all down to the different system of house purchase and the fact that Scotland never really had a boom. (yes - I've heard that lame excuse too).

Yep - heard that trotted out a lot as well. Selective memory in the extreme.

Interesting though that in some news stories today you get some pundits actually saying some sensible things. It used to just be all higher higher more more.

Bit more balanced. Took about 4 years for this though. :blink:

HOLA448

This is all very unfortunate, since if Scottish house prices are at 2007 levels then there is still a 50% drop to revert to the long term mean (roughly 2001 prices). The only mechanism I can see for this is a severe credit drought from the banks, with an overseas default being the most likely trigger event.

HOLA449

This is all very unfortunate, since if Scottish house prices are at 2007 levels then there is still a 50% drop to revert to the long term mean (roughly 2001 prices). The only mechanism I can see for this is a severe credit drought from the banks, with an overseas default being the most likely trigger event.

FYI - Scotland's peak was roughly the middle of 2008. The denial was very strong up here.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Sorry ccc Scotland is nice and all that but I can't afford the fuel bills and am susceptible to chilblains. ;)

I didn't like the oil heating.

It's not just the cost, it was having all that money in the garden! Never suffered a theft but there were some.

Grampian Police advise people with heating oil tanks to review their security. They should check that the outlet and filler are secured with substantial padlocks, consider fitting a cage around the oil tank and additional security lights to cover the area of the tank. A simple CCTV system is relatively inexpensive to install.

http://www.fraserburghherald.co.uk/news/local-headlines/police_report_increase_in_fuel_thefts_1_372130

If we'd bought up there it crossed my mind to have a hidden pit around the thank with sharp stakes in it..... trouble is I would have probably forgotten it was there. :lol:

HOLA4413

HOLA4414

I know - it's hilarious - the cute wee tuechter bird from the BBC scotland morning news updates read it out this morning and I swear she sounded like her granny had died!!!!

And this is only a week after the same silly bint said on TV that Scottish houseprices are on the way up (based on s1 homes.. a BLOODY WEBSITE SO ASKING PRICES FFS) Silly cow....

Defo shag her though... B)