House Price Crash Forum
Trampa501

Could The Uk Population Suddenly Decrease?

If at some point the economy implodes, and government was no longer able to pay benefits, or even guarantee food in the shops...well I feel there would be an exodus. Or is there something special about this sceptered isle that would keep everyone here?

If at some point the economy implodes, and government was no longer able to pay benefits, or even guarantee food in the shops...well I feel there would be an exodus. Or is there something special about this sceptered isle that would keep everyone here?

Immigration control

Or Bird Flu, Plague, Natural Disaster and for out Evangelical Christian friends, rapture.

You mean via people murdering and eating each other or an exodus?

There is a big flaw when you consider exodus...

Many people have no passport. My last white collar work place only 3/25 people had passports. No government? = No passport.

Many nicer places require visas and have tough immigration rules, so you've pretty much got on the EU (a lot of people still think you can rock up to HK and live there on a UK passport) Also the language barrier will hold many people back from the obvious EU bolt hole.

Or Bird Flu, Plague, Natural Disaster and for out Evangelical Christian friends, rapture.

This was a failure, as it killed young people instead of old people, therefore until a ne strain which targets old people is erm 'discovered/engineered' we won't hear about it ever again.

You obviously missed the HPC guide to cannablism thread of last week - we have apparently moved beyond gold, guns and baked beans.

My gut feeling is that we are going to see an exodus either sooner <5years or later >20years. It'll be the bright, mobile folk leaving our shores and of course quite a few priced out HPC'ers here.

Don't go doing anything stupid peeps and getting a fast track criminal record (riots, looting, facebook thought crime). A few of them won't realise they've stuffed their chances of bailing out.

You obviously missed the HPC guide to cannibalism thread of last week - we have apparently moved beyond gold, guns and baked beans.

Nah he started that thread.

Happened in Japan - not sure if that can be directly attributed to their bubble bursting. Costs become too prohibitive re housing and paying for the education of a larger family. Economically it makes sense to have one rather than two children. Japan of course has far less immigrants.

My gut feeling is that we are going to see an exodus either sooner <5years or later >20years. It'll be the bright, mobile folk leaving our shores and of course quite a few priced out HPC'ers here.

Don't go doing anything stupid peeps and getting a fast track criminal record (riots, looting, facebook thought crime). A few of them won't realise they've stuffed their chances of bailing out.

I think the world is going to become increasingly dangerous as various countries, and people of various other countries, figure out that the Brits, and indeed the Yanks, no longer have the military might to send planes and ships to do a bit of gun-boat politics and protect their interests.

Happened in Japan - not sure if that can be directly attributed to their bubble bursting. Costs become too prohibitive re housing and paying for the education of a larger family. Economically it makes sense to have one rather than two children. Japan of course has far less immigrants.

Thats not sudden though is it? Much like Taiwan's lowest ever birth rate the effects won't be felt for a decade at least.

Nah he started that thread.

Nah, it was Ken who had thought it all through - what type of person to target, how to keep a food-store in your basement, what to feed them.

Just sleep with one eye open if Ken invites you to stay the weekend.

Thats not sudden though is it? Much like Taiwan's lowest ever birth rate the effects won't be felt for a decade at least.

There are now more university places in Japan than students of that age to take them. That results from a low birth pattern 20 years ago - as their bubble was popping.

There are now more university places in Japan than students of that age to take them. That results from a low birth pattern 20 years ago - as their bubble was popping.

Interesting.

More and more stats show that the middle classes are having less kids or no kids at all. Who is going to come to the UK unis 50 years from now?

Who cares - I will be long dead.

A skilled exodus or unskilled?

Rather, how many english people do you know that speak more than just english? Kinda cuts down the emigration routes imo..

A skilled exodus or unskilled?

Rather, how many english people do you know that speak more than just english? Kinda cuts down the emigration routes imo..

Not if they all go teach English overseas

Depends on the level of desperation I think. There's more than a few people who've fetched up in the UK without being able to speak English and managed to survive. I don't see why it shouldn't work the other way around if the incentive was strong enough.

Not if they all go teach English overseas

Except the bottom fell out of ESL ages ago. A number of Japanese schools closed down a few years ago.

S Korea was cushy but much less so after a number of scandals, like when a British nonce went to teach in S Korea. He had no qualifications at all other than being white and British. Thus tightened up the criteria for a visa in 2008 (degree,. The 2009 US crash also had a major influx of Americans. Americans are much preferred over Brits btw. Subsequently wages went through the floor.

Taiwan bottom fell out there too, the uber low birth rate means schools are closing at quite a high rate. Unless you are established and have work experience its a tough nut to crack even if you are the blue eyed blonde American type.

SEA - Uber low wages.

Hong Kong - the Cush hire anybody who is white to teach irregardless of ability changed. the 100% white face employed to do ESL is now 60-40. In fact there was even a racist thing on RTHK recently about how unreliable white people happen to be as ESL tutors.

http://programme.rthk.hk/rthk/tv/programme.php?name=tv/Eos2011&d=2011-05-11&p=5066&e=139442&m=episode

The script goes like this:

The parents are racists and think the first school is great because it has a white person who happens to be the owner and isn't a teacher. He freely admits he isn't a teacher.

racist parent comes in and steals all the yummy mummies to the school on floor 7 which is 100% staffed by white people. 'Even the photo copier guy is white'

Fast forward to the last episode where the mummies all return to the original school where they pretty much diss schools the parents originally thought was good because of the white faces. About how they don't take the job seriously, about how the staff turn over is incredible* about how unqualified they are etc....

This was on prime time TV in HK recently.

Edited by ken_ichikawa

Except the bottom fell out of ESL ages ago. A number of Japanese schools closed down a few years ago.

S Korea was cushy but much less so after a number of scandals, like when a British nonce went to teach in S Korea. He had no qualifications at all other than being white and British. Thus tightened up the criteria for a visa in 2008 (degree,. The 2009 US crash also had a major influx of Americans. Americans are much preferred over Brits btw. Subsequently wages went through the floor.

Taiwan bottom fell out there too, the uber low birth rate means schools are closing at quite a high rate. Unless you are established and have work experience its a tough nut to crack even if you are the blue eyed blonde American type.

SEA - Uber low wages.

Hong Kong - the Cush hire anybody who is white to teach irregardless of ability changed. the 100% white face employed to do ESL is now 60-40. In fact there was even a racist thing on RTHK recently about how unreliable white people happen to be as ESL tutors.

http://programme.rthk.hk/rthk/tv/programme.php?name=tv/Eos2011&d=2011-05-11&p=5066&e=139442&m=episode

The script goes like this:

The parents are racists and think the first school is great because it has a white person who happens to be the owner and isn't a teacher. He freely admits he isn't a teacher.

racist parent comes in and steals all the yummy mummies to the school on floor 7 which is 100% staffed by white people. 'Even the photo copier guy is white'

Fast forward to the last episode where the mummies all return to the original school where they pretty much diss schools the parents originally thought was good because of the white faces. About how they don't take the job seriously, about how the staff turn over is incredible* about how unqualified they are etc....

This was on prime time TV in HK recently.

Don't believe a word Ken says. He has been busy eating Brit ESL teachers for years. Anyone recall his thread of several years back asking about the cold water pipe on his Dad's roof that churned out boiling hot water due to the heat of the day - that was Ken merely reassuring himself that par-boiled ESL teacher was edible.

But Ken has since moved on, he now prefers American blonde ESL teachers - leaner, more muscular due to the steroid filled meat diet.

I am on to you Ken_ichikawa.

Depends on the level of desperation I think. There's more than a few people who've fetched up in the UK without being able to speak English and managed to survive. I don't see why it shouldn't work the other way around if the incentive was strong enough.

My dad migrated to Holland in the late 50s, he spoke no English and no Dutch. He managed ok, he was shocked at the thought of no horse racing in Holland and moved to Cornwall and became moonshine king. He managed it, but then it was a do or die situation as his dad my grand dad was in the merchant navy and he had no fall back. He had to make a life or starve.

He made a fatal mistake in 1967. Instead of going into partnership with his best mate, he became a van driver. Then saving up got a hot food place. His best mate is a certain Mr Yip

Even if the overall numbers don't collapse the make-up of skills / earning ability (when lookng at a gloally competive market) / monied persons living in the Uk could change over a decade or two and make a real difference and seal the downward spiral that has been in place for many industries/sectors/living standards.

There are a growing number of reasons for emigration to be an ever more popular/sensible move, ghe younger generation will have little to hold them here.

Even if the overall numbers don't collapse the make-up of skills / earning ability (when lookng at a gloally competive market) / monied persons living in the Uk could change over a decade or two and make a real difference and seal the downward spiral that has been in place for many industries/sectors/living standards.

There are a growing number of reasons for emigration to be an ever more popular/sensible move, ghe younger generation will have little to hold them here.

Taiwan pretty much went M shaped after the factories moved to China, it happened over about 5 years.

But Ken has since moved on, he now prefers American blonde ESL teachers - leaner, more muscular due to the steroid filled meat diet.

I am on to you Ken_ichikawa.

Come round my place for a night and let me prove to you that I'm alright... :P I have a nice Chianti that you'd erm go with nicely.

Come round my place for a night and let me prove to you that I'm alright... :P I have a nice Chianti that you'd erm go with nicely.

You are probably sat there munching on some bit of breast or thigh right now.