House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
200p

Blue And Red National Supermarket Chain

I was in one of their 24 hour super stores, 8pm, Saturday, a few hours ago. I rarely go into a blue and red supermarket, but being new to area I had no choice. Only 2 tills were open, despite having a rank 20 or so installed. The self service tills had queues 10 deep and the 2 manned tills had a queue of 20. People were tutting, and abandoning trolleys.

What happened since the boom years when they promised on their television adverts to open a till when there's a queue of more than one?!

I don't know if this was a one off, but I was kind of taken aback as "I was watching a piece of the economic collapse."

I was in one of their 24 hour super stores, 8pm, Saturday, a few hours ago. I rarely go into a blue and red supermarket, but being new to area I had no choice. Only 2 tills were open, despite having a rank 20 or so installed. The self service tills had queues 10 deep and the 2 manned tills had a queue of 20. People were tutting, and abandoning trolleys.

What happened since the boom years when they promised on their television adverts to open a till when there's a queue of more than one?!

I don't know if this was a one off, but I was kind of taken aback as "I was watching a piece of the economic collapse."

Rank bad staff planning or part of a plan to get customers used to using self service checkouts - some people use them all the time, most probably never - so every now and again keep the tills shut and get customers using the self service ones.

Rank bad staff planning or part of a plan to get customers used to using self service checkouts - some people use them all the time, most probably never - so every now and again keep the tills shut and get customers using the self service ones.

I detest self-service tills. They always go wrong and take far longer than conventional tills. When faced with no alternative I complain and the 'till captain' ends up processing the transaction. Aside from feeling curmudgeonly tonight, I just don't like them as they keep people from jobs - even a crappy job is better than no job.

edit - typo

Edited by pyracantha

I'm abroad. The queue for a checkout here may only have 3 or 4 people in front but the checkout operators seem to behave like it's their first day, barcode scanning in slow motion, moving like treacle.

There's an old chap works at an Asda in the UK I occasionally shop at - he's avoided like the plague by shoppers because he's not as fast as the others and likes a natter. However, he's like a greyhound compared to the hypermarket checkout operators where I am now. (It's not unusual to spend a solid 10 to 20 mins waiting with only a couple of people in the queue ahead with their average trolley or even a basket)

I don't think that any supermarket has a policy of trying to force customers to use the self service checkouts. They aren't significantely better for the supermarket. They're a nice choice to have, but whilst we still have to laser read barcodes, will never work for all.

tim

I've never understand why supermarkets didn't adopt the Japanese till model. In most large Japanese supermarkets the part of the till for paid for items is split in two. The first person's stuff is put through. While the first person is fumbling for exact change the till operator is putting the second person's stuff through into the second part of the till. Much faster..and given that tesco is in Japan, they should really know about it and use it.

I've never understand why supermarkets didn't adopt the Japanese till model. In most large Japanese supermarkets the part of the till for paid for items is split in two. The first person's stuff is put through. While the first person is fumbling for exact change the till operator is putting the second person's stuff through into the second part of the till. Much faster..and given that tesco is in Japan, they should really know about it and use it.

Unless I have misunderstood, this method only works if shoppers have bought only 20-30 items. Thus it works well in Germany where everybody does their shopping in smaller stores three or four times a week

With the UK method of one full and overflowing trolley full per week/fortnight there is simply not enough room at the till for two sets of shopping.

tim

With the UK method of one full and overflowing trolley full per week/fortnight there is simply not enough room at the till for two sets of shopping.

tim

Not so - the 1st person's stuff is mostly bagged and taken off the checkout when the 2nd person's stuff starts going through - you never expect fully 2 people's stuff on there at any time. You might only get the first 10-20 items from the 2nd person's stuff before the 1st person finds their card/loose change. Speeds things up though, and gives happier customers - 2nd person is not sitting watching the cashier do nothing for a minute.

They used to be able to split the till. There was a black bar they could move across and so start scanning the second persons shopping. However the tills are half the size they used to be so they can get more items on the shop floor to sell.

Not so - the 1st person's stuff is mostly bagged and taken off the checkout when the 2nd person's stuff starts going through -

Really. You get to stand behind different people to me. That is not my experience.

tim

Hmm. I take on board the comments about shopping here being of the huge trolley variety. Still, for me that adds to the advantage of the two bay system - no need to wait for them to bag their shopping or to find their change.

Never a problem at ALDI/LIDL .....

fastest tills in the western world.

You are joking? The number of times i have abandoned a shop because of one lidl till open and a large queue.

It's because most of the Polish have gone home/killed their families/topped themselves so there is no-one to man the tills on below subsistence wages.

I, myself, love the self service tills; red grapes for the price of potatoes, etc etc etc bring it on!!!!

Never a problem at ALDI/LIDL .....

fastest tills in the western world.

WAKE UP!!!!! YOU'RE DREAMING!!! WAKE UP!!!!

It's because most of the Polish have gone home/killed their families/topped themselves so there is no-one to man the tills on below subsistence wages.

I, myself, love the self service tills; red grapes for the price of potatoes, etc etc etc bring it on!!!!

:lol::lol::lol:

I had a delivery from them on Sunday, (Daughter with chicken pox so couldn't go to the store) I made some comment about only 2 boxes this week, which was good for me, and the driver said that 6 months ago, on one load you would get 8 drops, now, where everyone is buying less, the average now is 14 drops per van. That is quite some drop in average delivery value.

Ha that made me laugh. Or "LOL" as they type.

I don't think that any supermarket has a policy of trying to force customers to use the self service checkouts. They aren't significantely better for the supermarket. They're a nice choice to have, but whilst we still have to laser read barcodes, will never work for all.

tim

Of course they are, they normally have a block of 4-6 which means that's 4-6 people they don't have to employ. I'd imagine they are comparative in price to a normal checkout so not adding extra costs there either.

Even at minimum wage not employing 4 people for 24's a day would mean massive savings for a store over the lifetime of that checkout.

At the shops I go in they are always pushing you to use them*, I'm happy to unless I'm buying something I know will need assistance, i.e. booze or something locked in a box, in that scenario you are better of with a real person as while there should be somebody there to supervise they are often off doing something else. They are easy and straight forward for anybody with half a brain cell, if you can't get one working then (and no offence to checkout operators) you really are not fit for the most basic of jobs in the food chain.

* I suspect there is drive to convince people to use them and therefore install more and more, it also means you cannot complain about there being a Q as there is a check out free and it's your choice not to use it.

Of course they are, they normally have a block of 4-6 which means that's 4-6 people they don't have to employ. I'd imagine they are comparative in price to a normal checkout so not adding extra costs there either.

They have to have a person there to deal with all the problems that come up, and IME, outside of the lunch break, there is never a queue there and you just walk up at take a free till. Given that it takes (most) people about twice as long to self scan as the manned desks, that one person sitting there handling the self tills, gets to deal with 1.5-2 times as many people as a manned desk but you need twice as much equipment.

So not much better for the shop IMHO

tim