House Price Crash Forum

Red Arrow Aeroplane Crashes During Bournemouth Airshow

inflating

HOLA441
HOLA442

I believe that they should stop these "flying displays" because one day and i hope that it never happens

A high speed jet fighter will crash into the public causing lots of deaths!

Already has happened, at Ramstein in 1988. I've never forgotten it.

The video of the crash is quite shocking so be warned if you do Youtube it.

HOLA443

He put out a Mayday so presumably it was some sort of aircraft failure. We'll have to wait for the Military AAIB report for the exact cause.

Correction, it now seems that he may not have put out the Mayday and that it was put out by the leader 'Red 1'. Either way, we'll have to wait for the result of the inquiry.

There are some interesting thoughts on PPRuNe.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

He was close to the airport, so not very densely populated. Sky news said he seemed to steer away from houses at the last second.

Usual media sensationalism. If you look at the video, there weren't any houses anywhere near there.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

A bad day for aviation all round.

At least 12 people have been killed and three others injured after a chartered Boeing 737-200 plane crashed in Canada's Arctic region, police say.

The crash on Saturday happened as the aircraft was approaching the airport in Resolute Bay, home to one of Canada's most northerly communities.

HOLA4410

Usual media sensationalism. If you look at the video, there weren't any houses anywhere near there.

It's impossible to tell from that video. Could be anything behind those trees that seem to be somewhere around the perimeter of the airfield. The chances of their being no houses anywhere near are pretty slim, even if it was heading towards fields.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Tribute http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-14608073

Over 1500 people signed condolence book at Town Hall where floral tributes are. There was a mimnute's silence. All Red Arrows are now grounded.

Brian May, from rock group Queen, who spent a day with the team recently described Flt Lt Egging, known as Eggman, as "a hero in anybody's book".

He said: "These men and women are the hardest of nails. But their humanity and wickedly humorous team spirit was a joy to be around.

"It's plain that Jon sacrificed his life yesterday to save civilians below, as he piloted his stricken Hawk jet away from housing, finally ejecting only when it was too late to save his own life."

HOLA4413

The are very strict rules about where the plans can fly. They can't fly over the crowd or in anyway that would put the crowd in danger. You would probably be more at risk watching motor racing.

I was a Councillor for many years and our local authority put on an air show.One year I queried the £50,000 insurance premium and I was told that the insurers considered that there was a "real risk" of a multi-million claim.Aircraft perform half a mile from the nearest spectators.At 500mph it takes three and a half seconds to cover that distance.

HOLA4414

Not sure if I would eject late and face almost certain death to avoid hitting some house. :ph34r:

Just think how pissed off you would be if the house was empty. Although I suppose you would never know.

HOLA4415

Not sure if I would eject late and face almost certain death to avoid hitting some house. :ph34r:

Just think how pissed off you would be if the house was empty. Although I suppose you would never know.

You would have the satisfaction in your last second of knowing that you had saved the insurers a packet.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
  • 1 year later...
HOLA4418

Archived