House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

libspero

Advice On Graphic Manipulation

I don't know if we have any graphic designers in the house, but I could do with some advice.

I am trying to revive a photo taken a few years back.. it is a panoramic that has been clumsily stitched together.

As you can see, each plate sticks out pretty obviously from the next but I have no idea how to blend them together to get the colours to match seamlessly.

I was going to dedicate the afternoon to trying to get to grips with GIMP.. but just wondered before I start whether any one has ever tried to do this, how easy it was and if they have any advice for me (or am I wasting my time?).

I do have the original separate images still if it is better to start from scratch.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

mazatlanpanoramic.jpg

GIMP!

http://www.gimp.org/

However as with any graphics software, a considerable learning curve. I've just learned how to do a logo with a drop shadow! :lol:

Thanks Mr Steed..

I have the Gimp installed and raring to go.. I guess I am just looking for tips or plug-ins to make my life easier.

Perhaps it's just wishful thinking :unsure:

Thanks Mr Steed..

I have the Gimp installed and raring to go.. I guess I am just looking for tips or plug-ins to make my life easier.

Perhaps it's just wishful thinking :unsure:

I really wouldn't know where to start. However I think your image works as it is. Maybe be some HPC photoshop whizzes can help? One managed to put a beard on Rosie Dullard (if he is still around).

I really wouldn't know where to start. However I think your image works as it is. Maybe be some HPC photoshop whizzes can help? One managed to put a beard on Rosie Dullard (if he is still around).

Thanks JS, not to worry, I've worked it out.

Amazing open source program for stitching panoramas.. called Hugin. You just load up the photos and it literally does everything else.

See what you think of the result (shrunk for convenience)..

img0076img0081small.png

Amazing open source program for stitching panoramas.. called Hugin. You just load up the photos and it literally does everything else.

img0076img0081small.png

Thats excellent! Must get that myself.

Just put the finishing touches.. increased the colour saturation a bit to make it feel warmer and re-sized to fit a 40x10 canvas.

If anyone is interested this is a photo of Mazatlan in Mexico taken from the lighthouse looking back over the city.

mazatlanperfectscaledto.jpg

Just put the finishing touches.. increased the colour saturation a bit to make it feel warmer and re-sized to fit a 40x10 canvas.

If anyone is interested this is a photo of Mazatlan in Mexico taken from the lighthouse looking back over the city.

mazatlanperfectscaledto.jpg

Wow, you got that from the separate shots? I'm impressed!

Awesome tip. I shall brand that into my brain.

Wow, you got that from the separate shots? I'm impressed!

If you get a really detailed panorama and you want to put it on the net then I'd recommend the free zoomify. Here's an example of a panorama of Whitby West Cliff. Use the controls to zoom in on people half a mile away buying an ice cream...