House Price Crash Forum

Shock As Big Brother Viewers Fall 15M Short Of Desmond's Hopes

inflating

HOLA441

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-14587190

The opening night of Channel 5's Celebrity Big Brother attracted 5.1m viewers, according to unofficial overnight figures.

Adam Sherwin wrote in The Independent that Channel 5 owner Richard Desmond had "failed to lure A-listers".

The media mogul, who owns the Daily Star, The Express and OK! magazine, told reporters at Monday's press launch he was hoping to generate huge ratings of at least 20 million viewers.

Forecasts are a tricky thing, best left to those who know

HOLA442
HOLA443

Maybe this format has had it's day? ;)

The first series was crap and went downhill from there. Have always hated big brother, the contestants go in there as normal (said loosely) people and come out thinking they are celebrities and should have their own tv show.

It should have died with the last series on channel 4 so god knows why Channel 5 decided to bring it back.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

How did they fit in Celeb Big Brother within all the CSI repeats that have been going on for years?

A mixture between the two would be interesting. Forensics, following an event like Bill Hicks'

As I read on the Hpc joke of the day thread...

Q. what do you call an Irish woman with two C'nts ?

A. Jedwards' Mum

HOLA447

I haven't watched it but after the last time I wonder if they specifically avoided those that fit the all encompassing p word that the scumbags like to use or ridicule people of that skin colour or vocal characteristic for no reason. I bet they've gone for glamour model, old person, gay person, person of african decent, council estate person and posh person.

HOLA448

Surely that was never going to happen?

Not in our multichannel internet world.

30 years ago, maybe.

Well said Bart. I've often said the only reason Morecambe & Wise "pulled in" 30 million viewers at Xmas is because there was nothing else on, i.e. there was no other choice! Not because they were particuarly funny or anything (I thought they were average). People really need to get their head around this.

HOLA449

How did they fit in Celeb Big Brother within all the CSI repeats that have been going on for years?

A mixture between the two would be interesting. Forensics, following an event like Bill Hicks'

As I read on the Hpc joke of the day thread...

Q. what do you call an Irish woman with two C'nts ?

A. Jedwards' Mum

Genius !!

BTW I have actually been on TV is more different shows than that Irish Gypo bloke. Can I get paid to get on the next Celeb big brother :lol:

It is ridiculous.

HOLA4410

Well said Bart. I've often said the only reason Morecambe & Wise "pulled in" 30 million viewers at Xmas is because there was nothing else on, i.e. there was no other choice! Not because they were particuarly funny or anything (I thought they were average). People really need to get their head around this.

It's made a hell of a difference.

Not just all the extra TV channels but all the other things we can do to pass the time.

X-Box/PS3/Wii/PC games

Internet

Mobile phones

Blu-rays/DVDs

YouTube

FaceBook

Twitter

And combinations of the above.

From memory the last really big movie premiere was Jaws, which got around 20 million viewers in 1980 or thereabouts (5 years after it was released).

Today, by the time a movie reaches TV it has

Been seen in the cinema

Been pirated (T/S, R5, DVD-scr, DVD-rip, even PPV rips these days)

Been on Sky Movies etc.

Appeared in rental stores/sites like LoveFilm

Been out on DVD/Blu-ray

All within the space of about 6 months.

From a quick look at BARB, I see Corrie only gets 8 million viewers these days. 30 years ago, 20 million was quite common.

The only TV I've watched live all week is is X-Factor (I was visiting friends, honest!)

HOLA4411

BTW I have actually been on TV is more different shows than that Irish Gypo bloke.

I've appeared in the background of TV news reports (hello mum!). Plus there's all my many appearances on CCTV as I walk through town. I'm sooooo jaded about being on TV luvvie.

Where do I sign for the next series?

HOLA4412

I've appeared in the background of TV news reports (hello mum!). Plus there's all my many appearances on CCTV as I walk through town. I'm sooooo jaded about being on TV luvvie.

Where do I sign for the next series?

You could probably just wander in.

HOLA4413

At least reality TV originally had the merit of giving Joe Bloggs a chance. What's particularly galling about 'celebrity' reality TV is that it is little more than a kind of work programme to keep otherwise talentless people on TV and the public eye and that we, ultimately, are paying for it.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

It's made a hell of a difference.

Not just all the extra TV channels but all the other things we can do to pass the time.

.....gets 8 million viewers these days. 30 years ago, 20 million was quite common.

The only TV I've watched live all week is is X-Factor (I was visiting friends, honest!)

Agreed. The "big Christmas movie" really is a thing of the past (as you mention a longer past then people appreciate) and I for one tire of the BBC splashing out on films everyone has seen or can see very easily if they want to. It's a dinosaur of the 20th century, times have well and truly moved on.

In a way, the viewing figures really are now a true reflection of how many people actually want to watch a show.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

These types of reality programs all seem staged and highly produced to shock and awe...the people who appear in them have big egos and love to be the centre of attention (many of the same people appear in different shows).....frankly I find the whole reality part of it as anything but reality, it is all very sad, and no I am not a bore, anything but, but these programs are so boring now because they are so damned predictable....same old same old an easy way to make cheap tv that is rubbish and not in the slightest bit interesting..well past its sell by date imo. ;)

HOLA4418

These types of reality programs all seem staged and highly produced to shock and awe...the people who appear in them have big egos and love to be the centre of attention (many of the same people appear in different shows).....frankly I find the whole reality part of it as anything but reality, it is all very sad, and no I am not a bore, anything but, but these programs are so boring now because they are so damned predictable....same old same old an easy way to make cheap tv that is rubbish and not in the slightest bit interesting..well past its sell by date imo. ;)

The talent shows bore me too although as a kid I quite liked New Faces and Opportunity Knocks, probably they would bore me now too

HOLA4419

The talent shows bore me too although as a kid I quite liked New Faces and Opportunity Knocks, probably they would bore me now too

They had their day like everything else.....to be honest when there were only three tv channels the choice if watching tv was rather limited....the side without the ads often swayed it. ;)

HOLA4420

Agreed. The "big Christmas movie" really is a thing of the past (as you mention a longer past then people appreciate) and I for one tire of the BBC splashing out on films everyone has seen or can see very easily if they want to. It's a dinosaur of the 20th century, times have well and truly moved on.

In a way, the viewing figures really are now a true reflection of how many people actually want to watch a show.

I think everyone has accepted that the big Christmas movie went a long time ago, and was replaced with "Only Fools..." and "Doctor Who" specials.

Its interesting how third rate, reality, non talent has replaced talent on prime time TV. At one time ITV in the 50's was owned and controlled by the talent bosses, theatrical agents, and theatre chains, such as, Val Parnell, and The Grade Organisation to the point where ATV were almost able to force rival ABC Weekend Television off the air due to the monopoly of talent. Then again a night of "variety" now would be considered as much a hell as "reality tv."

HOLA4421

They had their day like everything else.....to be honest when there were only three tv channels the choice if watching tv was rather limited....the side without the ads often swayed it. ;)

I'm over in Poland at the mo, there's about 100 channels to watch, maybe more. Apart from The Dog Whisperer on National Geographic, CNN and BBC World which I watch, all that most Poles I know seem to view are X Factor and two situation comedies which I also quite like although I don't understand very much of what they're saying

(The sitcoms are Swiat Wedlug Kiepskich and Daleko od Noszy, they're about life in a poor household and a chaotic hospital, respectively) http://www.polsat.pl/Nasze_Programy,2846/Swiat_Wedlug_Kiepskich,1477/index.html

http://www.polsat.pl/Nasze_Programy,2846/Daleko_Od_Noszy_2,41389/index.html

Also there's a serial which was about Poles living in London, filmed on location while I was in London, contains some pretty good characterisations of City wide boys and thugs of both nationalities

But anyway my point was, 100 channels and very little to watch unless you like reruns of Judge Judy and American films :lol:

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

as a kid I quite liked New Faces and Opportunity Knocks, probably they would bore me now too

I hated them myself, duller than a wet weekend in Cleckheaton. And don't get me started on Junior Showtime!

I think everyone has accepted that the big Christmas movie went a long time ago, and was replaced with "Only Fools..." and "Doctor Who" specials.

And double episodes of soaps involving mucho disasters.

Was that ITV's biggie this year or did they have something else as well?

HOLA4424

I'm over in Poland at the mo, there's about 100 channels to watch, maybe more. Apart from The Dog Whisperer on National Geographic, CNN and BBC World which I watch, all that most Poles I know seem to view are X Factor and two situation comedies which I also quite like although I don't understand very much of what they're saying

But anyway my point was, 100 channels and very little to watch unless you like reruns of Judge Judy and American films :lol:

Do they watch House and CSI - they were the most watched shows in the world the last time I checked. I can remember watching House in Spanish when on hol in Tenerife a couple of years ago, and CSI on Cyprus TV! Mr Bean is huge globally as well. Rowan Atkinson and Hugh Laurie must be among the most recognisable faces on planet Earth!

HOLA4425

I hated them myself, duller than a wet weekend in Cleckheaton. And don't get me started on Junior Showtime!

Gee thanks for reminding me of that one!

There was this odd idea in the 70s that kids would want to watch programmes amateurishly presented by kids: Our Show, Why Don't You? and the Children's Film Foundation. They were all unutterably dire and unwatchable.

Archived