House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DTMark

Buying Music And Videos Online

Where do people go to buy music and download movies online legally?

iTunes has quite an impressive catalogue now, but stuff I download in there seems to only play in... iTunes. And it's incredibly expensive.

As for movies, iTunes has very few, and what it does have is also priced way too high. LoveFilm has a streaming service but I had something of a "falling out" with them a while back after a relative bought us a gift card which wouldn't redeem and despite escalating that to the MD we got nowhere, so wouldn't touch them.

Some old back catalogue stuff is on YouTube so I've been able to rediscover lots of tunes that I have on 12" singles in my parents garage, but I'd love to actually buy high quality copies.

What do you use?

What do you use?

I used iTunes briefly until that pestilential piece of shit software tried to take over my machine.

Thank god for add/remove programs.

Other than that, I've never downloaded music or films legally. The iTunes DRM experience put me right off.

pestilential

I thought I had a fair vocabulary - you learn everything on this website :)

Other than that, I've never downloaded music or films legally. The iTunes DRM experience put me right off.

Curiously, that's exactly my experience.

If it's something I really like, I buy it in WAV format from either trackitdown (cheaper) or junodownload (much better quantity and search facilities). I think those sites will appeal to your tastes!

WAVs are much larger files with zero loss (unlike 128 or 256 mp3 - 320 mp3 are very good though). I invested in some rather expensive Boss earphones so I could appreciate WAVs. Makes a hell of a difference IMO. If it's good stuff, then it's worth losing your hearing to biggrin.gif.

ADD - if you go to sites like zamzar or media-convert, you can convert file types to other formats for free without needing to download or install any software.

In terms of stuff you'd like to have for iPod use etc but can't find to buy legally online, ligamusic has an incredible selection. They let you have a free track when you sign up. There's nothing stopping you using a fake email address (which you don't need to click a link in a receiving email from) time after time if you use their mirror sites (search "lavamus / ligamusic"). NOTE - I only get stuff from here that cannot be found to buy anywhere online.

If it's something I really like, I buy it in WAV format from either trackitdown (cheaper) or junodownload (much better quantity and search facilities). I think those sites will appeal to your tastes!

WAVs are much larger files with zero loss (unlike 128 or 256 mp3 - 320 mp3 are very good though). I invested in some rather expensive Boss earphones so I could appreciate WAVs. Makes a hell of a difference IMO. If it's good stuff, then it's worth losing your hearing to biggrin.gif.

Cheers - didn't know about the Juno download site, that's 2 bookmarks added, definitely to my taste - thanks for your intuition :)

Cheers - didn't know about the Juno download site, that's 2 bookmarks added, definitely to my taste - thanks for your intuition :)

I stumbled upon a thread you started asking for top tunes. Added my selection, but was alas late to the party and I don't think anyone else got to appreciate them

I stumbled upon a thread you started asking for top tunes. Added my selection, but was alas late to the party and I don't think anyone else got to appreciate them

I certainly listened to them, because I listened to every single track people put up and "discovered" a load of new stuff as a result. Damned if I can remember which ones you posted though, I didn't expect it to go to so many pages - I ended up with god knows how many Realplayer downloads and oddly enough at this moment I'm tracing through those trying to track down some more old stuff, and just added one more to the end of that thread ;)

In terms of price, Amazon have started doing some very reasonable mp3 stuff.

If you're trying to identify obscure tunes from back in the day, the discogs site is a definitive destination for trainspotters.

I certainly listened to them, because I listened to every single track people put up and "discovered" a load of new stuff as a result. Damned if I can remember which ones you posted though, I didn't expect it to go to so many pages - I ended up with god knows how many Realplayer downloads and oddly enough at this moment I'm tracing through those trying to track down some more old stuff, and just added one more to the end of that thread ;)

Have been doing likewise. Fortunately, I bought a hell of a lot of stuff on CD single in the 90s which I still have. I'm also blessed with a geek's memory for tunes.

Ever listened to Paul Oakenfold's Goa Mix? The Gold Mix of that set is unbelievable.

Never been happy about buying tracks online...what happens if your HD goes bang?

With e.g. software, you usually get a licence key and so can download it (or an updated version) again later on from the original site.

With music, if it's iTunes, you just lose it - because you can't download it again (even though it seems to know that you bought it once) unless that's changed now.

I have about 80GB of music files on an external drive and a whole stack of DVD backups.

One approach might be to get some storage space on a server and put your collection there, where it's backed up for you, but our slow upstream rate of about 1.5Mbps doesn't really permit that.

Generally Amazon MP3, as its quick and easy, though the quality isn't good. iTunes only for free podcasts from DJ's. Also known to rip tracks from Youtube! :lol:

With e.g. software, you usually get a licence key and so can download it (or an updated version) again later on from the original site.

With music, if it's iTunes, you just lose it - because you can't download it again (even though it seems to know that you bought it once) unless that's changed now.

I have about 80GB of music files on an external drive and a whole stack of DVD backups.

One approach might be to get some storage space on a server and put your collection there, where it's backed up for you, but our slow upstream rate of about 1.5Mbps doesn't really permit that.

10 times out of 10, I will buy a physical album...I've had two HDs blow, after ripping part of my album collection (not shite disks either)...never again...I find buying a digital file isnt the same...

10 times out of 10, I will buy a physical album...I've had two HDs blow, after ripping part of my album collection (not shite disks either)...never again...I find buying a digital file isnt the same...

Oh I don't. I've no desire to own any more CD's or DVD's, though I agree backups need managing.

Oh I don't. I've no desire to own any more CD's or DVD's, though I agree backups need managing.

Invariably, you also end up burning MP3s at 192 to save space...

we're all skint, we're all trying to put a roof over our heads.

I know you specifically asked for legal options - but why?

I suppose for 4 key reasons:

1. The quality of the stuff you can readily get hold of for free is often pants. I can click "Download this video to Realplayer" and then convert it to e.g. MP3 but the quality is dreadful;

2. If you've ever dabbled in P2P - what tends to happen is that you end up downloading (and then re-uploading to others) hundreds of GB of what appear to be the latest films, but actually is anything but and 90% of what you end up with is useless - and we have a 3G broadband connection which only hits about 6.6Mbps downstream so it's really slow and you have to pay for the usage;

3. It would be far easier for me (time is money and all that) to just go to one or two sites with a big catalogue and just pick and choose than to hunt endlessly around;

4. Artists are also trying to put a roof over their heads as well. While I think the music and film industries are insane not to embrace new distribution mechanisms and to try (successfully, as happened recently) to get ISPs to block illegal content sites because there are people like me who would pay if they could (hence this thread) if everyone simply pirated everything there wouldn't be any more music or films because there would be no financial incentive to make them.

These debates aren't new. I recently learned that when audio cassettes first became commercially available, record companies were up in arms that people could record songs from the radio rather than buy them. There was still the issue of quality behind that approach too (as there is with ripping music from You Tube). A decision was struck that a certain % of income from cassette sales would be given to the music business. Could the same not be applied to internet connections?

One grey area I find is that selections on iTunes etc seem to have been chosen by middle-aged men in America who've never come across the UK Top 40 singles market etc. No offence to them, but my tastes are somewhat more, shall I say, unconventional. If some music I want is available to buy online then that should be the first port of call. But what if it isn't (and believe me, I look) but can be downloaded for free from an illegal site? Can't the music companies at least try to make sure their back catalogue can be found online if they want to reduce piracy?

These debates aren't new. I recently learned that when audio cassettes first became commercially available, record companies were up in arms that people could record songs from the radio rather than buy them. There was still the issue of quality behind that approach too (as there is with ripping music from You Tube). A decision was struck that a certain % of income from cassette sales would be given to the music business. Could the same not be applied to internet connections?

One grey area I find is that selections on iTunes etc seem to have been chosen by middle-aged men in America who've never come across the UK Top 40 singles market etc. No offence to them, but my tastes are somewhat more, shall I say, unconventional. If some music I want is available to buy online then that should be the first port of call. But what if it isn't (and believe me, I look) but can be downloaded for free from an illegal site? Can't the music companies at least try to make sure their back catalogue can be found online if they want to reduce piracy?

Less said about the top 40, the better.. ;)

The music and film industries would love that. But there are problems with it:

1. Everybody would have to pay it - so, if you only ever read paper books, you'd be subsidising those who want music and films - hence:

2. It effectively puts the industries in a similar position to central banks - they could "collect tax";

3. It gives the industries no incentive at all to improve their means of distribution. Think of the US car industry - while petrol was cheap (oil price + relatively low US taxation) there was no incentive for them to make fuel efficient cars. So people started buying European cars instead. Then when the recession hit, the US government - instead of allowing a failed business model to fail - bailed them out.

The fundamental problem is there's no way to really outlaw it, except through DRM which people - those who have actually paid for the things - don't like.

Intel were going to build in "unique codes" into their newer chips at one point so that individual machines could be uniquely identified, which would pave the way for a DRM type system, but this was felt too invasive.