House Price Crash Forum
pyracantha

Apple Now Worth ...

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/08/19/apple_now_worth_as_much_as_all_euro_zone_banks.html

Boy are things screwed if one company is worth more than most of the Euro banks.

Further down:

"For Apple, the accolade is just the latest in a growing string of financial related achievements. In addition to its back-and-forth battle with Exxon Mobile for the title of the most valuable company in the world, it was disclosed last month the iPad maker's $76B in cash reserves recently surpassed the US government's own operating balance."

You can just imagine the call:

"Hi, Mr Jobs, could we borrow some money?"

"Sorry Barack, no can do."

Amazing that in the mid/late 90s Apple was on its knees and could quite easily have folded. If only I'd taken a punt on their shares just before the first iMac came out, I'd be set up for life now...

It tells you a lot about how utterly f**ked the US economy is when their biggest company is a consumer electronics firm that doesn't have a single factory in the country making product.

Amazing that in the mid/late 90s Apple was on its knees and could quite easily have folded. If only I'd taken a punt on their shares just before the first iMac came out, I'd be set up for life now...

I say the same thing to myself daily...

That aside, I can't help but feel they'll go the same way as Microsoft. Dominant, but no longer the darling of the tech world. Some of Apple's corporate behaviour is awful.

+ with seemingly monthly rumours about Steve Jobs' health, I wonder who'll steer the ship afterwards?

It tells you a lot about how utterly f**ked the US economy is when their biggest company is a consumer electronics firm that doesn't have a single factory in the country making product.

A friend of mine told me Nike doesn't own any factories either. They just design it and tender it out to the cheapest sweat shop.

I don't know if that says more about Apple or the banks or the irrationality of the stock market... :unsure:

...basically, it displays the winners of "who understands their own market best"...... :rolleyes:

A friend of mine told me Nike doesn't own any factories either. They just design it and tender it out to the cheapest sweat shop.

Yep, it's the same with just about any consumer "brand" - Nike, CK, etc. All adding very little to the US economy since many will be avoiding tax into the bargain. :lol:

I have a shrimping business that needs a new boat. Can anyone help?

Playing devil's advocate for a moment, isn't Apple a poster child for the "knowledge economy"? Keep the R&D in the first world, manufacture in the third world.

Does that include the chips in the PC's etc...

Intel has US plants doesn't it?

Does that include the chips in the PC's etc...

Intel has US plants doesn't it?

The iPhone uses ARM and ARM derivative (Apple A4) chips - all made by various far-eastern chipmakers (Samsung for one).

The Macs use Intel chips, and Intel does have some US chip fabrication plants. But they also have many others all over the world (inc quite a few in China):

http://www.dailytech.com/Intel+to+Open+New+65nm+Plant+in+China/article5705.htm

Playing devil's advocate for a moment, isn't Apple a poster child for the "knowledge economy"? Keep the R&D in the first world, manufacture in the third world.

That's exactly my point.

The people who take the R&D jobs aren't the same ones who would be working in the chip fabs or the assembly plants making the packaging, etc. Those people are the ones who are now claiming benefit and will possibly the ones burning, looting and killing in the next 3-5 years.

+ with seemingly monthly rumours about Steve Jobs' health, I wonder who'll steer the ship afterwards?

That will be a major factor (IMO).

Apple had several different CEOs until Job's return. They all presided over a progressive decline in the companies fortunes.

If Jobs were to step down permanently, will his successor(s) just keep tinkering with the existing product lineup? Faster processors, better phone cameras etc.? But nothing game changing?

What might be in store for Apple is a very slow but progressive decline (again).

If Jobs were to step down permanently, will his successor(s) just keep tinkering with the existing product lineup? Faster processors, better phone cameras etc.? But nothing game changing?

IMHO, when Jobs goes Apple will sink like a rock. They sell decent but overpriced hardware based largely on 'cool' factor and the masses probably won't be lining up to worship the new Great Leader the way they do Jobs.

I've seen quite a few people who bought iPads saying a few months later 'what did I buy this thing for?' because ultimately they had no real use for it but it was the next big thing from the Cult of Jobs so they had to buy one.

But the trouble is manufacturing creates more employment than R&D.

Anyone know what the ratio is for R&D employment against Apples manufacturing employment.

Google are valued at about 55% of Apples asset value. But long term it's going to be the colossus and worth a lot more.

The information it has access to through billions of daily search impressions means it's more formidable than any government, never mind company.

IMHO, when Jobs goes Apple will sink like a rock.

Looks like we'll be finding out much sooner than we thought.

Although he is still an Apple employee and could therefore still influence new developments. I guess it depends on the true state of his health.