House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Twirly

Is It Worth It?

I am wondering whether it is worth it anymore to buy a house.

I am not advocating paying rent in perpetuity. But given the lack of job security in these times I have to wonder is it worth committing oneself to homeownership? The days of working for the same employer for 20 plus years are long gone. It seems to me that a house is a tie and it is difficult to be mobile to be able to move where the work is.

Are we looking at a new way of living? Are we no longer able to choose to live near family, to put down roots. Are we to live in places where we really would rather not so we can earn money?

Do we embark on a mobile lifestyle instead?

Is it ever possible to attain emotional and financial stability with such a mobile life?

Just some random thoughts I am having today.

Anyone else having similar thoughts?

A new winter coat and shoes for the wife

And a bicycle on the boy's birthday

It's just a rumour that was spread around town

By the women and children

Soon we'll be shipbuilding

It depends on your situation and outlook on life really, personally however i think it's best to buy a home you are happy living in at the lowest price you can get it for and pay it off as soon as you possibly can.

A new winter coat and shoes for the wife

And a bicycle on the boy's birthday

It's just a rumour that was spread around town

By the women and children

Soon we'll be shipbuilding

The exact words that went through my mind when I saw the thread title.

I am not advocating paying rent in perpetuity. But given the lack of job security in these times I have to wonder is it worth committing oneself to homeownership? The days of working for the same employer for 20 plus years are long gone. It seems to me that a house is a tie and it is difficult to be mobile to be able to move where the work is.

Are we looking at a new way of living? Are we no longer able to choose to live near family, to put down roots. Are we to live in places where we really would rather not so we can earn money?

Is it ever possible to attain emotional and financial stability with such a mobile life?

Not a good idea to buy property at the moment. It will change once it has resumed a sensible price in a few years. The world is suffering from 40 years of poor decisions on deficit spending. We reached a standard of living by 2007 which had not been earnt. It was a derivative led mirage, a paper and electronic credit world which thought itself immune from reality, where homes were an investment and prices always rose way above incomes and inflation providing perpetual remortgaged, go to the ATM wealth. The fiction has ended as it must. We must repay and return to about 1980's standard of living. It was not too bad. There were kwiksave supermarkets, old cars, damp bedsits and plenty of pubs. Less eating out and more sport at school. More Spain, less Maldives.

The exact words that went through my mind when I saw the thread title.

I understand X Factor starts again soon?

Apparently music was rubbish in the 80s and is brilliant now. Meeja people keep saying so, anyhow, so it must be true.

Much like A levels.

have been wondering this myself just think that its not gonna go up!

It depends on your situation and outlook on life really, personally however i think it's best to buy a home you are happy living in at the lowest price you can get it for and pay it off as soon as you possibly can.

Thats the difficult part though, finding somewhere that I am happy with. I've lived all over the UK. All the affordable places in the UK seem to be a bit grim. All the cute pretty places are not affordable or there is no work near by. Im coming to the conclusion that I just dont want to live in the UK, but where else do you go?