House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
beerhunter

There Are One Million Empty Homes In Britain..

Sorry if this has aleady been posted;

From The Times Viewing Guide;

HOW TO RESCUE A HOUSE

BBC Two, 7.30pm

There are one million empty homes in Britain and thousands of people desperate to find somewhere they can afford to buy. In the first of a new eight-part series, the architect Maxwell Hutchinson tries to bring some of these empty properties back to life.

He begins his mission in Toxteth, Liverpool, where 11 per cent of homes are empty, mostly because the council can’t decide what to do with them. He helps a would-be homeowner to track down the owners, and finds out how these houses — many of which are remarkably grand — became derelict in the first place, and whether or not anything can be done about it. Unfortunately, no preview tapes were available.

Might be an intersting watch if he backs up the sources of he figures etc

Sorry if this has aleady been posted;

From The Times Viewing Guide;

Might be an intersting watch if he backs up the sources of he figures etc

Presenter was a bit of a twit on breakfast TV this morning...

He said that lots of property investors buy property and leave it empty because "its making them more money than putting the money in a bank would". :rolleyes: - they dont need to do anything with it, just wait for value to go up and up!

I fear that the programme may be quite bullish.

there cant be a million empty houses, all of them are used up thats why the prices are so high.

Hopefully this will put that one to rest. :rolleyes:

This can only be accurate if compared with previous estimates of "empty homes". eg Has it increased? Perhaps due to new built investment properties, like apartment blocks? Or decreased due to limited supply of housing?

Still, the broadcast of this figure could help kick away the shortage crutch that has supported the bulls.

How can they force these investors to utilize their assets? On newsnight, the government minister said it was something to be looked at further....mmm What policies could the treasury introduce to help make their decisions easier?

there cant be a million empty houses, all of them are used up thats why the prices are so high.

Hopefully this will put that one to rest. :rolleyes:

unless they are all located at the heart of chavland and normal people are too scared to populate them...

I must admit I wasn't sure what to expect from this programme.

What I did like;

In the same vain as something like "No Waste Like Home"... making use of whats around, ie empty housing. But we'll have to see what happens in future programmes, whether this is a buy / paint / try and sell for proft or if people are really doing this for a home.

What I didn't and hope they improve on;

Maybe its just me, but I like to be told facts, seeing the budgets, learning about the processes involved... (like most TV programming now days) it was more entertainment that educational.

For me the jury is out on this one, but so far my verdict is... not bearish ... not bullish... not educational... just entertainment.

Mind you (sorry to say) thats what the average person watches... not the Open University, so it will be interesting what the underlying message that comes across will be.

Being from the pool and 'tocky' not too far away I can safely say they are a lot of areas of Liverpool which have empty run down areas. When I knew it was about Liverpool I just KNEW they would go to Tocky! I do think it was quite a fair representation of the area tho - woman getting a drink from a family whilst they find the guys phone number - That is the spirit in the community but the camera's certainly made a difference The area they were 'Princess Road by Princes Park' have some the finest houses this country has to offer. It was doctors paradise in the late 1800's. These are TOP QUALITY built properties.

This area has a LOT of muslims, it has its own mosque just down the road that is jam packed. I think this area has been somewhat segregated into a community. I am not being racist here btw. I can said HAND ON HEART I would walk through Toxteth at 2-3am and not feel scared. It has a GREAT community spirit but it is still tarnish because of the RIOTS (1982).

The postcode L8 means 'high risk' insurances etc and it is somewhat alienated because of it. Also, the chances of Asylum seekers living in your locale are VERY high. The point is, there is nothing wrong with TOXTETH, nor its community. Its just NOT a marketable area for most. That large house (admittedly needed work but mainly structurally sound) for £60-70K? Shows what the housing market is like in that area.

The interesting fact (I say that loosely) was the guy from Liverpool Housing Trust. "There are more houses than people in Liverpool". Hmmm I keep getting told there is a shortage of properties in Liverpool!

PLEASE go here before I go nuts! :D

Thanks for the link...

I'm surprised about the distribution of empty homes: I always assumed the local authority would have a lot (due to the costs of refiting / buget issues) and the private sector have less (due to the ability to sell for a profit).

Eye's widely opened :blink:

Guest magnoliawalls
That large house (admittedly needed work but mainly structurally sound) for £60-70K? Shows what the housing market is like in that area.

The interesting fact (I say that loosely) was the guy from Liverpool Housing Trust. "There are more houses than people in Liverpool". Hmmm I keep getting told there is a shortage of properties in Liverpool!

So why are houses 'worth' 60 - 70k to all intents and purposes abandoned?

60 - 70k is a lot of money, probably much more than three times the average wage in that area. Is it because speculators are willing to buy them in the hope that there is urban regeneration and/or compulsory purchase orders?

A german friend tells me that it is possible to buy houses in reasonable condition where he is from for a few hundred quid because the demand is not there. If there are more houses than people in Liverpool, surely these unwanted houses should be 'worth' only a few quid?

Fraid the conspiracy theorists are wrong again, and the f**ckup theory of history applies as usual.

I sold my house in Dec 2003 to STR. My house has never appeared on the LR records or any of the sites like nethouseprices. Subsequent house sales on the same street do appear in the records, as do previous sales.

The reason for anomalies like this is simply the poor quality of data collection and maintenance. I'm afraid missing data only means that someone has a) made an error filling out a form or B) made an error typing the form into a computer or c) made a programming error in the computer software or d) accidentally deleted a record in a database or e) lost a form, made it into a paper aeroplane or the filter for a camberwell carrot, or, or, or...

So why are houses 'worth' 60 - 70k to all intents and purposes abandoned?

60 - 70k is a lot of money, probably much more than three times the average wage in that area. Is it because speculators are willing to buy them in the hope that there is urban regeneration and/or compulsory purchase orders?

A german friend tells me that it is possible to buy houses in reasonable condition where he is from for a few hundred quid because the demand is not there. If there are more houses than people in Liverpool, surely these unwanted houses should be 'worth' only a few quid?

The house looked like it would have 6+ large bedrooms when renovated, to me in the current market 70k sounds fair, the property was in pritty good standard, just needed a load of stud walls and bathrooms ripping out before it could be done up... IMO in a couple of years a property in that state would be worth 10->20k if that....

Edited by moosetea