House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DTMark

Tv Recording And Streaming

Since this forum always has all the answers :)

I can record broadcast stuff on my PC (upstairs) with the TV tuner card and Windows Media Centre.

That can then write it out to DVD, or I can use Nero to e.g. cut out the ads first then write the disc. So that enables me to watch it on the TV (downstairs) which is about 6 years old and only has SCART inputs and a normal Freeview box.

I can also watch e.g. BBC iPlayer/YouTube on my PC/laptop/mobile and my mobile (Samsung Galaxy thing) seems to have an option to stream the output to a device (a TV?), but won't be any use with our TV.

What kit do I need if I want to be able to link this lot together and be able to watch anything on the TV?

A Freeview HD recorder would mean I could record broadcast TV and watch it on the TV, but not stream e.g. BBC iPlayer.

I've seen kits which enable you to essentially stream the output from the PC to the TV through the house, but I don't want to have to run up and down stairs to start and pause the thing on the PC.

I'm open to buying a new TV - presumably an "internet enabled TV", but how does this work - I've seen the "extender" options in Windows Media Centre and I guess the TV attaches to the network here and they link up that way, can you then "control" Windows Media Centre via the TV as well?

Or, do I simply get some sort of advanced Freeview TV/streaming/internet connected box (I've heard of something called a Slingbox, which I think might be the sort of thing) and thus I don't need the PC at all?

Thanks in advance all.

I use MythTV for recording and xmbc for playback; not sure whether you can use iplayer inside xbmc but it certainly has a youtube interface.

I use MythTV for recording and xmbc for playback; not sure whether you can use iplayer inside xbmc but it certainly has a youtube interface.

Thanks Mark - have been looking at those.

I'm still puzzled about how the signal actually gets to the TV and how you control the media centre device thing (whatever it is) via the TV itself e.g. if the TV if acting as a "monitor" - how do you end up with a remote control handset which enables you to control the device doing the streaming/playing?

For instance I could take the PC I have or buy another one and attach it to an "internet enabled TV". I reroute the main aerial so instead of going into the Freeview box, it goes to the PC. Windows Media Centre or MythTV/XBMC then replaces the Freeview box for TV reception and now I can watch "anything" (broadcast, stored on HDD locally, YouTube, iPlayer) with the TV basically becoming a large but "dumb monitor".

Do I then have to get a wireless USB mouse which lives on the living room table and through which you then manipulate the PC?

I feel sure that would work and be very flexible, but quite expensive (quite a high end PC needed, this one has extra RAM and a graphics card) but I feel sure I'm missing something somewhere.

You can buy a remote controller on ebay for your media centre. Basically, it comes with an infra-red box that plugs into the TV and then, when your media centre is connected to your TV, the remote will work the media centre. I have one and it works fine.

As for your other stuff, well, with windows it is all a bit of a mish mash. You could, for example, use an xbox as a media extender for your media centre and TV. You need to loo up media extenders basically in the MS way of doing things.

Sadly, as if often the case with MS, they went so far and then gave up.

Apple have the gear that just works together as do Sony.

If your running media centre just get a mce - media centre extender, there's 3 out there I think but the easier and cheapest is the xbox360, plug it into the same router that your pc is plugged into and your away (or get a wireless adapter for your 360)

Can get a 360 for 80 quid off eBay these days. It also runs most avis theses days and although it will never be as good as xbmc, it runs most stuff.

What version of windows are you using? The original xbox only works as an extender for XP Media Centre, and the Xbox 360 for Windows 7 Media Centre.

I haven't looked at what's possible with the xbox 360, but I have an original xbox running XBMC.

It does iplayer, youtube, streaming radio - MythTV can act as a backend as said. It won't playback HD content though, but is fine with standard freeview.

What version of windows are you using? The original xbox only works as an extender for XP Media Centre, and the Xbox 360 for Windows 7 Media Centre.

I haven't looked at what's possible with the xbox 360, but I have an original xbox running XBMC.

It does iplayer, youtube, streaming radio - MythTV can act as a backend as said. It won't playback HD content though, but is fine with standard freeview.

360 will work with all media centre editions but orig xbox just with xp media centre. Xbmc will still play recorded tv from media centre (Dvr-ms) so you can always set something recording then watch in through xbmc.

Thanks for all the tips - sorry, seems rather rude, as I have to pop out so will read through in detail later - just to confirm the "office PC" with the TV tuner card (the one which currently does all the recording in Windows Media Centre) is running Windows 7 Home Premium.

Thanks for all the tips - sorry, seems rather rude, as I have to pop out so will read through in detail later - just to confirm the "office PC" with the TV tuner card (the one which currently does all the recording in Windows Media Centre) is running Windows 7 Home Premium.

In that case, for simplicity, get yourself a 360 and hook it up to the same network....jobs a goodun

A slingbox would work, but bare in mind their are 2 types one for watching your TV anywhere over a network, the other for watching computer content on your TV.

Which model is the second one? I've looked at their site but can only see the ones that let you access stuff over a network.

If I had a HD TV, could a Slingbox allow me to watch Bly-rays playing on my PC Blu-ray drive?

Thanks for the answers - my brother should be coming down in the next few weeks and he has an X-Box, so I'm going to see if he can bring it with him and try that approach out and in the meantime bookmark this and investigate the options above.

In the meantime I'll build a shopping list of stuff (TV, cinema speaker setup, etc) for when I have e.g. a thousand pounds just knocking about looking for a home ;)

Thanks all.