House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

Bbc Newsnight - Globalisation To Blame?

Just watching Newsnight and the presenter has just posed the question is globalisation to blame!!!

I'm stunned that question has been asked. Although the person she asked just waffled.

Talking of a consumption bubble in the waffle.

Just watching Newsnight and the presenter has just posed the question is globalisation to blame!!!

I'm stunned that question has been asked. Although the person she asked just waffled.

Talking of a consumption bubble in the waffle.

Hill walking holiday for that presenter!

Thou shalt not blame globalisation...

Hill walking holiday for that presenter!

Thou shalt not blame globalisation...

globalisation in itself is not necessairly to blame........corporatism is.(or rather the belief that corporate governance in a one-size fits all unisex goo is the way to cure all the worlds problems.)...it ain't.

so ultimately the blame lies with the top echelons who took what is in essence quite a good idea and then went at it like a bull in a china shop(with concern only for their own wealth)...thereby pissing everybody off.

even within regional governance they are still clueless.

if it is to succeed then you have to do it VERY VERY slowly,and with people of a similar mindset clubbing together.

that's why britain is (and the scandinavians) totally out of step with the franco-german federal model....so running it through so fast,after only 60 years without firing missiles at each other is asking for trouble(considering we've been at war with most of europe in some shape or form for almost constantly the last 500 years)......had they given it another 100 years or so I think it might have worked,now it's only going to breed yet more animosity.

I think france actually has the most to lose out of this,there is certainly the scope for the french position becoming polarised by the franco-german federalists,and the franco/british/canadian seperatists.

the brits on the whole want out.....so france coulde well be led to play a bloody dance again.

Edited by oracle

Wow a serious question asked. One of my 'big 4' of globalization, over-regulation, automation and immigration.

The answers to are not straightforward but understanding them helps unlock why things are happening. For example clearly globalization has benefited Germany. Its huge industrial companies have competed and won insanely large new markets that it wouldn't have had access to before.

The answers to are not straightforward but understanding them helps unlock why things are happening. For example clearly globalization has benefited Germany. Its huge industrial companies have competed and won insanely large new markets that it wouldn't have had access to before.

At a critical point in the 80s a big decision had to be made - state subsidies for (aka bail out) the big and medium sized national industries to give them time to get globally competitive or let them go to the wall and look for other sources of revenue, i.e. services.

Britain made absolutely the wrong call while Germany did it absolutely right. France/Italy got it half right - they bailed out their big industries but didn't invest in their medium sized ones and so are better of than us but not as tickety boo as Deutschland.

Lived and worked in France and Germany for five years and can't believe the rubbish I read on this site.

There is more regulation and higher taxes in both countries than you have in the UK.

However both are not as good at the creative industries as we are in the UK but that's not where the money is in a world driven by emerging markets.

At a critical point in the 80s a big decision had to be made - state subsidies for (aka bail out) the big and medium sized national industries to give them time to get globally competitive or let them go to the wall and look for other sources of revenue, i.e. services.

Britain made absolutely the wrong call while Germany did it absolutely right. France/Italy got it half right - they bailed out their big industries but didn't invest in their medium sized ones and so are better of than us but not as tickety boo as Deutschland.

Lived and worked in France and Germany for five years and can't believe the rubbish I read on this site.

There is more regulation and higher taxes in both countries than you have in the UK.

However both are not as good at the creative industries as we are in the UK but that's not where the money is in a world driven by emerging markets.

some banks will hit the wall in the the next 30 days, prepare yourself

I liked how the guy said there's been overregulation of banks? We have been too tough on banking sector. That was not sachs but the guy from international monetary something g

I liked how the guy said there's been overregulation of banks? We have been too tough on banking sector. That was not sachs but the guy from international monetary something g

Newsnight last night was absolute rubbish. I had to turn off after a while.

Never seen that presenter before but she didn't seem to challenge anything that was said.

That bloke in the studio was ridiculous. Asked about globalisation and he just said that it was a good thing because it had helped poorer economies get richer. When the presenter suggested that it might be at the expense of jobs over here, he just repeated the same line of it being good for poorer countries. He didn't even mention jobs being lost and that useless presenter just went on the the next topic.

And that bit about bankers - how could he sit there unchallenged after coming out with that drivel about banks being over regulated since way back in the 1930s?

Useless, usless bimbo presenter. Where's Kirsty?

Never seen that presenter before but she didn't seem to challenge anything that was said.

That bloke in the studio was ridiculous. Asked about globalisation and he just said that it was a good thing because it had helped poorer economies get richer. When the presenter suggested that it might be at the expense of jobs over here, he just repeated the same line of it being good for poorer countries. He didn't even mention jobs being lost and that useless presenter just went on the the next topic.

And that bit about bankers - how could he sit there unchallenged after coming out with that drivel about banks being over regulated since way back in the 1930s?

Useless, usless bimbo presenter. Where's Kirsty?

You would though, wouldn't you?

Not that it could ever possibly be accepted by those who control us, but I wonder if a maximum limit on the market capitalisation of any corporate entity would reduce systemic risk and improve competition?

Pick a number out of the air, say £10bn. As soon as any organisation hits that limit, by law it has to break up into smaller financially unconnected parts that are each below the limit.

Monetarist and Tory boy.

He's the sort of person that would be telling Osborne what to do.

Makes you weep.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Congdon

Edited by Red Knight

article-1101664-02E408B5000005DC-615_233x618.jpg

Emily Nomates? You were either born yesterday (when old Krusty was on) or watch newsnight on a very irregular basis as Ems is one of the main presenters.

No doubt he and his rich City click got richer in the process of helping poor countries get richer. The City has just decided there is more money. for them looting Western economies, rather than re-building them. Its a no brainer in the short term building slave factories in the third world with no social provision, until of course consumer economies collapse when no one can afford the output from the death camps.

Sadly not a damn thing we can do about it, as their view will prevail. I doubt if all the HPCers clubbed together we could buy their lobbying power. The politicians don't listen to us.

Never seen that presenter before

Emily Maitless (SP?).

She used to be the local presenter in the London Region but moved to occasiona NN presenter a year or so ago

tim

No doubt he and his rich City click got richer in the process of helping poor countries get richer. The City has just decided there is more money. for them looting Western economies, rather than re-building them. Its a no brainer in the short term building slave factories in the third world with no social provision, until of course consumer economies collapse when no one can afford the output from the death camps.

Sadly not a damn thing we can do about it, as their view will prevail. I doubt if all the HPCers clubbed together we could buy their lobbying power. The politicians don't listen to us.

Banks investged heavily in the east - also lent to big business whoe had increasingly large stakes in the east, at the same time they clobbered the west with fraudulent lending - all very short term and entirely counter to the best intersts of the countries of the west - for the priviledge of persung those policies they had to pay off the politicians before they were elected, whilst they were in power and afterwards with jobs for services done.

Corrupt to the core.