House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hedgefunded

Question About As Levels And How To Proceed

My son is no academic and his As results after completing lower 6th won't get him any university offers. He's not even sure he wants to go, but he might. (I'm totally ignoring the financial side of things here)

However, I think he can improve and may well get three reasonable passes at full A-Level in a years time.

So, if he does indeed do better next time, could he apply to start University in Sept 2013, with his A level results 'in the bag' so to speak?

Does that make sense? In other words, if we take a 'gap year' as a given, might he be able to apply and get offers based on A-Level results rather than fairly poor A-s levels

(I'm not going to post his exact grades, as I'd like to keep the question theoretical)

My son is no academic and his As results after completing lower 6th won't get him any university offers. He's not even sure he wants to go, but he might. (I'm totally ignoring the financial side of things here)

However, I think he can improve and may well get three reasonable passes at full A-Level in a years time.

So, if he does indeed do better next time, could he apply to start University in Sept 2013, with his A level results 'in the bag' so to speak?

Does that make sense? In other words, if we take a 'gap year' as a given, might he be able to apply and get offers based on A-Level results rather than fairly poor A-s levels

(I'm not going to post his exact grades, as I'd like to keep the question theoretical)

This is exactly what one of my daughters did a few yrs ago. She wasn't working very hard in lower 6th so I knew her teachers wouldn't predict good grades for her UCAS form. So she took a gap year and applied after A level results, which turned out a lot better than they'd have predicted. Via the normal pre-A level route she'd never have been offered a place at the uni where she ended up.

School was quite happy for her to do this.

Also makes it easier for the universities, since they can make an unconditional offer at once, or not. And it makes it much less of a lottery for the applicant when choosing where to apply to.

Edit: mind you this was before they did AS in L6th, they did them all together. Can't see why it wouldn't be a good strategy for your son, though.

Serious question, if you can ignore the financial side then arent there much better universities abroad that can be applied to with actual results?

Serious question, if you can ignore the financial side then arent there much better universities abroad that can be applied to with actual results?

+1

My cousin failed to get the grades required to study at a red brick university, so she studied medicine in the USofA instead.

Well it's not a case of 'money no object' but rather that I didn't want the finance to cloud the question.

He could perhaps study abroad and it's not something I'd considered. Is the implication from that suggestion that foreign universities are easier to get into?

I've told him to do the best he can and then work at the local golf club for a year afterwards. He currently works there part time and they'd give him more hours if he wanted. (His strengths lie in boring things like reliability, honest, respect for people, commitment...)

Once he's saved a few thousand he could go and see a bit of the world. My best mate lives in Adelaide, my wife's best mate lives in NZ, and another good friend of mine owns this: www.jollysydneyhostel.com

So basically, although he might still get to university somewhere based on the idea that his grades can improve, I've told him to enjoy the freedom of youth and see a bit of the world. You just might find out what you actually want to do in life.

Well it's not a case of 'money no object' but rather that I didn't want the finance to cloud the question.

He could perhaps study abroad and it's not something I'd considered. Is the implication from that suggestion that foreign universities are easier to get into?

I've told him to do the best he can and then work at the local golf club for a year afterwards. He currently works there part time and they'd give him more hours if he wanted. (His strengths lie in boring things like reliability, honest, respect for people, commitment...)

Once he's saved a few thousand he could go and see a bit of the world. My best mate lives in Adelaide, my wife's best mate lives in NZ, and another good friend of mine owns this: www.jollysydneyhostel.com

So basically, although he might still get to university somewhere based on the idea that his grades can improve, I've told him to enjoy the freedom of youth and see a bit of the world. You just might find out what you actually want to do in life.

It sounds like you've thought it through, but be careful about forcing him down a route he's not interested in. He may just flock with the more academically challenged and come out of uni with no degree and an impressive weed habit.

It sounds to me like your son has qualities that are sadly lacking these days, which makes him a valuable commodity.

To me his qualities sound like they would be ideal for a trade apprentice. Say an electrician. He could tour the world doing the trade after if he wanted, and even though you may have the money to back him up, he'd always have that to fall back on if he needed it.

It sounds like you've thought it through, but be careful about forcing him down a route he's not interested in. He may just flock with the more academically challenged and come out of uni with no degree and an impressive weed habit.

We insisted my youngest daughter went to Uni as her two elder sisters had, and we thought she might regret it if she didn't take up the opportunity. She wasn't particularly interested, and dropped out after the first year. i wouldn't say it was a year wasted, but she's MUCH happier just working as a supermarket checkout girl. No decision making required, doesn't have to write pointless essays, can read what she wnts when she wants......

Mind you, she has a mystifying ability to live on almost nothing - and doesn't want expensive stuff- which helps!

More generally, Unis (paricularly those which are really up themselves) are increasingly sniffy about retakes; might be better to do a one-year intensive course in a different A-level, though in a vaguely related subject.

Do you think his grades weren't what he was hoping for because he wasn't trying, didn't understand the teacher, or that the work is beyond him?

I distantly remember my A-As levels - it was pretty well understood that when you took your lower sixth As levels, you could expect them to be a grade or two lower than what you would get in the final year, as no one ever really tried very hard. Went that way for me - B/C/F maths/physics/chemistry, and i knew i hadn't been trying.

Final year i was trying to learn - maths/physics i had very very good teachers, and got A/B, chemistry.. couldn't stand it or the teacher. Ended up with an E.

This is probably all out of date, but the uni i applied to wanted minimum of sopmething like BCC (Computer science degree), i applied to it, got in, then on the first day discovered they'd let in people with 2 Es through clearing. Expect a lot of that to apply next year - they want their tuition fees. Wish i'd applied for somewhere better though, all universities are definately not alike.

If he's not academic, i'd suggest holding off on going at all till he's sure he's found a course that would lead to a job he wants to do - whether money is an issue or not, unless you're covering his loans for him it's a lot of debt he'll be paying off for a very long time!

My son is no academic and his As results after completing lower 6th won't get him any university offers. He's not even sure he wants to go,

If he's no academic, he probably won't like university! :huh:

It's full of books and stuff!!

I know a few people who left school with NO qualifications, and found the motivation, and desire later in life!