House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Big ' Giving Up Telly And Landline ' Thread

I'm certainly interested in the responses, Durch, but cannot really assist myself. I am thinking about finally venturing into the world of smartphones, and the giffgaff lyrical waxing on here for its unlimited internet at £10pm will probably see me go down that route with a San Francisco or something (although I understand this cannot be used as a modem without incurring hefty usage charges).

Was looking at wireless internet myself as I don't use the phone, merely the phoneline (see Virgin thread). Will be moving in a couple of months so have the opportunity to streamline it all.

It can be done but certain phone data contracts may(?) prohibit it.

Linky

GiffGaff offer unlimited data, maybe they would do the trick, or Three's "all you can eat" data tarrif.

It's called thethering and yes you can via a smart phone (not sure about an iphone, but I know you can with android). The problem you will find is most contracts are capped at 500mb or whatever, which you will drink quite quickly. It's probably best to get a wireless dongle.

Regarding Giff Gaff, yes it's unlimited, but I believe there is a 100mb (or thereabouts) cap per day so watch out.

I should take a step out of your book Durch, and switch off from the system. I just find myself getting stressed reading the news, and debating current affairs at work.

Yes, I'm very interested too The Generation Game. It's one of those areas that (not being a teenager) has totally passed me by. But even I can see that my set up is going the way of the Ark, and I am being ripped off as one of the last wallowing, brand-loyal, wired-up, buffoons. :D

I use Three (three.co.uk) for mobile broadband.

At home its three times faster on average than my BT fixed line broadband.

I also have a MiFi device which means a number of devices can share one 3G connection, as well as dongles etc.. I can also use my Orange connected LG phone as a modem too, but Orange/Vodafone I don't find so fast. Also they have a tendency to block sites such as HPC (but you can get that lifted).

I too would love to give up my BT Broadband, but you get locked into their contracts. Also whilst 3G is good it can get very expensive when shifting a lot of data through it.

If your 3G reception is bad, I might be able to advise on extra kit, such as antenna's to improve reception. I'm advising some people in a village in Lancs how to improve 3G reception, as I've basically declared war on their standard wireless broadband provider (I don't like the guy who runs it, after basically funding his business for a year).

Also whilst 3G is good it can get very expensive when shifting a lot of data through it.

The other day on Virgin I downloaded 16 gig in 1 day.

I was a bad, bad boy that day. :D

My TV licence reminder dropped through the post only last week. If we can stream Eastenders (for the wife) over the 3 network via TVcatchup then we'll be detuning the television set and using it solely for DVDs+Nintendo WIi.

I hate paying BT for the landline - on top of the broadband, they have us by the balls... had to pay a disconnection fee of £25 :angry:

For £18.03 a month on the three network you get 15gb data allowance - this may not be enough so the iPhone package might be worth consideration with unlimited data for £35 a month although this appears to be slower than the MiFi - by how much I'm not certain, rumour is the iPhone 5 will have HSPA+

My sister mentioned waiting for this. (She's down with the kids.)

I had to look HSPA+ up on the web.

I was never down there with the kids, even when I was a kid.

The point about detuning the TV back to factory settings, is a very useful point.

I was also going to glue a plastic plate over the terrestrial TV and satellite aerial sockets on the wall, and sign and date a white sticky label spread over all its edges. :D

lol... in for a penny and all that. I'll do the same. I have read that the TV licensing folk plug a testing device into the television that can act as an aerial giving a grainy picture, conviction and fine. there'll be a market for socket blanks and/or dymo label date stamped over it.

I've only ever heard bad things about three, especially their coverage, but that was all from long ago. So could I buy a £25 a month unlimited sim and put it in a fully purchased and unlocked apple iPhone? (I really don't follow this stuff, but even I am vestigially aware that apples are hard to get 'free' of certain contracts. I know they are all trying to force you into reading the acres of marketing bullsh*t and pricing tables they produce. I've lived this long without even glancing in any of those shops you kept seeing being looted.)

EDIT: I've just googled and found you can buy an iPhone SIM free direct from Apple.

My iPhone4 was from the apple store, unlocked... thanks for the lead. (we don't need to have 3 iphone4s in the household).

edit to add: 1month rolling contract, my kind of commitment :D

I've only ever heard bad things about three, especially their coverage, but that was all from long ago. So could I buy a £25 a month unlimited sim and put it in a fully purchased and unlocked apple iPhone? (I really don't follow this stuff, but even I am vestigially aware that apples are hard to get 'free' of certain contracts. I know they are all trying to force you into reading the acres of marketing bullsh*t and pricing tables they produce. I've lived this long without even glancing in any of those shops you kept seeing being looted.)

EDIT: I've just googled and found you can buy an iPhone SIM free direct from Apple.

With Three you can use their one-plan to enable tethering (turn the iphone4/smart phone into a myfi hotspot), however they don't allow tethering on their £15/month all-you-can-eat payg sim. Seeing as how much the new phones cost imo it's worth getting phone/one-plan on contact (with quidco), rather than just a one-plan sim only contract and the phone else where.

Oh and they don't allow the one-plan sim in myfi/mobile broadband devices - which is all ******** as it's all just data!

Edit: only iphone4 can act as a hotspot, 3GS & below do not support that function AFAIK.

With Three you can use their one-plan to enable tethering (turn the iphone4/smart phone into a myfi hotspot), however they don't allow tethering on their £15/month all-you-can-eat payg sim. Seeing as how much the new phones cost imo it's worth getting phone/one-plan on contact (with quidco), rather than just a one-plan sim only contract and the phone else where.

Oh and they don't allow the one-plan sim in myfi/mobile broadband devices - which is all ******** as it's all just data!

Agreed... £69 upfront and an additional £240 (24month contract £35) = £309 = iPhone4

how much slower is it compared to the MiFi dingle?

I've only ever heard bad things about three, especially their coverage

A friend of mine is on Three and he's pretty happy with them but yes, Three do seem to have *that* kind of reputation.

Interesting thread, just had to look up HSPA+ and tethering!

Re the Beeb, what do you do to stop them threatening you?

Interesting thread, just had to look up HSPA+ and tethering!

You can't. If your not doing anything wrong you can 'invite' TV licensing in to your house show them your detuned/blanked off television and they'll give you a 1 year reprieve.

Think I'll just stay with BT and TV. Although appealing, seems a lot of work for what is a relatively small and declining portion of monthly spend.

I don't have Sky or Virgin and I have a SIM only smartphone @ £5 per month. And rather than an iphone linked to a contract I have an itouch. These are the areas where the monthly amount starts to shoot up.

There is no right or wrong answer - respect! I have hijacked this thread :D

Die. :D

Oh, wait...

Dead man fined over TV licence

But seriously, in theory you can write to them and tell them you don't need a licence. They may still send someone to check (in their eyes you are guilty until proven temporarily not guilty).

You're under no legal obligation to contact them and I haven't. I like to lead Capita a merry dance, let 'em waste money pursuing me for a non-existent crime. They can't do anything as I'm not breaking any TV licencing laws.

All you TV refuseniks are currently missing Sally Bercow, Jedward and Kerry Katona in Big Brother.

Who or what is a Sally Bercow?

If you write to tv licensing aka the BBC informing them you are "withdrawing their presumed right of access to your property" this prevents them from phoning you, writing to you or marching up your path and banging on your front door.

I did this a couple of years ago and haven't heard a peep from them since.

Probably not a helpful contribution for anyone not living in a densely populated area, but we've been without TV and phoneline for 4 years. We have cable internet which, while not especially cheap, is fast and reliable. We watch catch-up services and videos etc.. don't miss any of the other dross.

When we visit family and they have the TV on I'm always surprised how much we don't miss it.