House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

longtomsilver

Cancelling Virgin Broadband ?

Help required please...

My 12months is up on the 8th September this year. I've just phoned up to cancel and was told my service will be disconnected in 6days... I queried whether or not i'd be liable for the dates 24/8-8/9 or be charged an early cancellation fee - the man said no. Whose correct am I setting myself up for a sting?

Thank you.

Edit to add:

I am going on to the 3 network (High Speed Data Connection) as we get better download rates than our BT line - is the dongle better than a iPhone 4 tether for reception (neighbours dongle gave us 6.9meg speed).

I have found virgin media to be really good - notwithstanding inevitable technical failures, which they handle, from a personal/professional viewpoint, admirably

so I would think they will be honest with you and not charge hidden fees, but do let us know what happens!

Had a Three 3G mifi that was great as my broadband after I left Virgin, however I lost it while working down south so replaced it with a 3G dongle that was crap. I could never get certain web site to load over it, amazon's product pages, garmin connect upload etc.

Moving back to hard line tomorrow (if the engineer turns up).

(plus it's time for more Nbzs :ph34r: )

In a world of terrible customer service, Virgin Media are a breath of fresh air. I'm a big fan of their product, service, and price, and would recommend them.

In a world of terrible customer service, Virgin Media are a breath of fresh air. I'm a big fan of their product, service, and price, and would recommend them.

I arranged for a technician to diagnose problems at my parents' home yesterday. They have the Virgin media package. The technician was excellent. Couldn't fault him.

He installed a brand spanking new modem, new network fittings and a new much longer cable. The service is much improved (the connection was dropping out due to a low signal-to-noise ratio). They can now finally watch video without frequent interruption.

Thanks Guys... it's either the Mifi or an iPhone4 if the connection speed isn't compromised.

We don't have fibre optics in my village, if we did then I would stay with Virgin in a heartbeat. At my last house the engineer let me choose my own landline number and my connection speed was twice what I had paid for - blisteringly quick.

I live 100metres from an exchange but get 700k-1meg paying for upto *8meg. There is a guy on our street who is a videographer whose employer pays BT handsomely for priority over the packets sent/received.

I am going on to the 3 network (High Speed Data Connection) as we get better download rates than our BT line - is the dongle better than a iPhone 4 tether for reception (neighbours dongle gave us 6.9meg speed).

Welcome :)

We're 2.5km from the exchange with a knackered old phone line 3.6km long, that can't manage more than 1.7Mbps (IP profile 1750kbps) - we got rid of it 3 years ago and have used 3 ever since. The 3 cell is 200m further away than the phone exchange is and we have near line of sight.

"Normal" speeds

1333561692.png

In the early hours of the morning

1386241242.png

OK, it's still pitiably slow given what year we're in but I don't see Virgin cabling here any time soon.

Believe the 3 network is faster with a dongle than it is with tethering.

Bloody Virgin Media. I don't care how good they are, no-one who keeps shoving that much crap through my letterbox will get my business.

Bloody Virgin Media. I don't care how good they are, no-one who keeps shoving that much crap through my letterbox will get my business.

+1

Thanks DTMark - mega plus consideration there re. dongle. Our mast is 6km away with line of sight as well. :D

+1

Thanks DTMark - mega plus consideration there re. dongle. Our mast is 6km away with line of sight as well. :D

You might find this interesting

http://www.ispreview...recommendations

.. and this:

http://www.sitefinder.ofcom.org.uk/

You sure it's 6km with those speeds?

We're on holiday in 2 weeks, so I've put that on hold just for the moment but I'll be getting the antenna and Solwise router or similar in a month or so to see what difference that makes (we have the Three E367 modem at the moment with an Edimax 3G router)

I find their way of doing business terrible - 6 months half price (small print 18 month contract) or make a change to your services they restart your contract etc.

It's like the bloke who ran dixons is running the show - take the money and run mentality, I wish someone would come in a make things clear and concise - this is your contract duration, this is what you get, this is what you pay per month, this is how you cancel - no mindless wasteful printed junk offers to confuse you or cunning small print; after all it's not like their making anything.

Had a Three 3G mifi that was great as my broadband after I left Virgin, however I lost it while working down south so replaced it with a 3G dongle that was crap. I could never get certain web site to load over it, amazon's product pages, garmin connect upload etc.

Moving back to hard line tomorrow (if the engineer turns up).

(plus it's time for more Nbzs :ph34r: )

Believe the MiFi device has two internal antennas and so can maximise the signal better.

The E367 dongle is the one which swivels and tilts and is currently being rained on as I type though it has done quite well to survive the last few months stuck outdoors under the eaves of the house 24/7 (I don't like moving it because it's very sensitive to position and a PITA to put back exactly where it was hence going for a directional chimney antenna aligned to the cell using GPS)

If buying a new dongle, check this out, supports HSPA like the Solwise router does, though the top speed depends on among other things how many channels are available I think - our cell has (I guess) two so 7.2Mbps max, some can do 21Mbps.

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/story/2011/08/17/3-mobile-uk-launches-faster-21mbps-capable-mobile-broadband-mifi-router.html

But since it's a contended service, that's not 21Mbps per user. I actually suspect I may well be one of only a handful of people actually using the service here hence the speeds. Everyone else is putting up with ADSL which suits me quite well.

We had BT for landline and Virgin Media for broadband, and have just switched to BT's widely advertised £16 per month deal for both. Checked with Virgin for the same deal, but they were a bit dearer and couldn't guarantee we could keep the same phone number.

The whole thing went without a hitch, I cannot praise both organisations highly enough - Virgin issued MAC code promptly and didn't cause any problems. I would definitely use them again from a service point of view. BT did everything they said they would, on time and without a hitch.

I wish I could say the same about power providers - I had incredible hassle with n-Power last year when I was winding up an estate, and am currently experiencing much frustration with EDF, whose customer service appears to have completely collapsed - as their telephone system doesn't work it is impossible to even speak to one of their "advisers" and I have had to resort to the recorded delivery snail mail method.

Not to mention the amount of cold-calling.

LOL - when we've lived in cabled areas, we've always had cable, so I guess that's why they didn't knock on our door.

We did have a notice up at one place stuck to the front door along the lines of "We do not want to change our utility suppliers. We have cable and don't want ADSL. And (name of the last tenant who ran off not paying their bills) doesn't live here any more".

Nobody ever knocked on the door after that.

LOL - when we've lived in cabled areas, we've always had cable, so I guess that's why they didn't knock on our door.

We did have a notice up at one place stuck to the front door along the lines of "We do not want to change our utility suppliers. We have cable and don't want ADSL. And (name of the last tenant who ran off not paying their bills) doesn't live here any more".

Nobody ever knocked on the door after that.

I'm on about the phone rather than the door. As I am ex-directory, the only people who ever call my landline are:

-Nigerians and Indians trying to get in contact with people who used to have this number

-Virgin media trying to sell me something

My answerphone takes all my messages.

I'm on about the phone rather than the door. As I am ex-directory, the only people who ever call my landline are:

-Nigerians and Indians trying to get in contact with people who used to have this number

-Virgin media trying to sell me something

My answerphone takes all my messages.

It's been 3 years since we last had a landline. I actually came across the handset a few weeks back in a cupboard - great big thing with huge buttons that looked like it ought to be in a museum.

Nobody cold calls our mobiles or our VOIP landline number. I guess VOIP numbers are in a different "block" that for some reason don't get these junk calls.

I'd forgotten what it was like to keep picking up random phone calls from people trying to sell something :)

You might find this interesting

http://www.ispreview...recommendations

.. and this:

http://www.sitefinder.ofcom.org.uk/

You sure it's 6km with those speeds?

We're on holiday in 2 weeks, so I've put that on hold just for the moment but I'll be getting the antenna and Solwise router or similar in a month or so to see what difference that makes (we have the Three E367 modem at the moment with an Edimax 3G router)

Thanks for the additional information. I am unable to use the search facility as my Internet connection keeps dropping out. I'm near enough to the Green Man Pub (B79 0BA) my 6km was a guestimate on my part. I can see the mast on the horizon though.

I guess VOIP numbers are in a different "block" that for some reason don't get these junk calls.

I wish I could stop junk calls at work, lately we are just inundated with shit! All trying to con you aswell.. this is despite being on the TPS.

tomposh101 UPDATE:

I bought an iPhone 4 from the 3 shop today to replace my BT landline/broadband as my connection has been so temperamental (failed to connect the phone with iTunes for activation, it really is that bad). Anyway, it's up and running now and while it is only showing 3 bars of 3G and not 'H' as I had hoped for... all I can say is wow - blisteringly quick streaming videos and most importantly not dropping out of the wifes work server.

This piece of apple magic will be whirring away at the top of my wardrobe as we already have two iPhone4s - not very ethical but the mifi dongle option didn't offer an unlimited data allowance.

So happy to have made the switch, good riddance BT we are no longer beholden to your whopping line rental (disconnection on Monday).

ping 105

down 1.73meg

up 1.4 meg

It suddenly struck me - to be polite I should answer on your thread too!

EDIT: Those are certainly respectable speeds - better than my father's BT broadband by far.

That's nice of you :)

It certainly is here as well. My soon to be x-BT line gives me 4-5meg for a few minutes then throttles back down to 500k it was so sh1t that it failed to install OS Lion on my new mac, ended up doing it in an Apple store.