House Price Crash Forum

More Than 1Million Women Are Unemployed, The Highest Female Jobless Toll For 25 Years

If you were running a small/medium business, with the laws governing pregnancy time off etc, would you employ a young lady of child bearing age ?

I bet the chinese women don't get a year off that someone ( company or state ) fork out for.

an unforunate unintended consequence of equality legislation is that all it does is create a bigger inequality.harperson is too stupid to see this.

I'd say you're right going on chats with various people I know who run small enterprises-including some women.

My prediction, they will use statistical techniques to prosecute private businesses who discriminate against women.

Unintended consequences - of those businesses caught, many will close, causing even greater unemployment.

Perhaps a bit extremist and over the top. I was surprised the ratio of women out of work was not much nearer 50%. One million of 2.5 million unemployed only being women.

Anyway, the real frightening figure is the under 25s unemployed. That's more concerning to me.

The Federation of Small Businesses said it is vital the Government helps women to set up their own business to curb the crisis.

Yvette Cooper, Labour MP and Shadow Minister for Women wimmin, said the cuts are hurting women ‘the hardest’. She said: ‘Women are being disproportionately hit by public sector job losses and rising childcare costs.

What a load of twaddle. There's already help to setup a business for anyone. Loads of women only networking groups too, I've never heard of a men only networking group.

And since when was childcaring costs a women only thing?

A complete nonse [edit:typo meant nonsense, but then that was a funny slip] story from the daily wail.

Everytime there is a radio phone in, women bosses ring up saying they prefer to employ men because of the risks of employing women, all the legislation and rights etc. There you have it. Get rid of the 'rights' and make it a free market.

Edited by Redcellar

My prediction, they will use statistical techniques to prosecute private businesses who discriminate against women.

Unintended consequences - of those businesses caught, many will close, causing even greater unemployment.

I read that and thought you'd have to be completely stupid to do something like that, then I remembered we've got politicians.

The other option is to make it easy for one parent (to appease the equal opportunity brigade) to stay at home and not work, although that would mean having an economy where one bread winner can support their family.

I bet the chinese women don't get a year off that someone ( company or state ) fork out for.

You'd win...

'Chinese Labour Law and Working Conditions in China':

http://www.foreignercn.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1361:chinese-labour-law-and-working-conditions-in-china&catid=44:work-a-business&Itemid=45

For maternity leave, the law in China states that women 25 years and older are entitled to four months off work after giving birth. If you’re under 25, you’re only entitled to three months.

Eranta will be along in a moment to put you right.

LOL look forward to it.

Radio just said a woman is taking a darts club to court because it's men only. Will go all the way to Europe.

I think they said darts.

Can I join a womens only gym please.

If you were running a small/medium business, with the laws governing pregnancy time off etc, would you employ a young lady of child bearing age ?

Agreed, you would have to be insane to employ a woman of breeding age.

in our office are 25 people, 3 are off on Maternity leave.

Look at silly old Yvette.

Feminism is ridiculous. Get back to the male working only and I bet we'll be able to afford things a whole lot better.

Yes, the Arab world is leading the way in this respect. <_<

Yes, the Arab world is leading the way in this respect. <_<

Prior to the gulf war, women were required to walk 15 steps behind the man.

After the gulf war women were walking ahead of the man. That's a huge change in stature I thought.

"landmines" said the sheikh.

Prior to the gulf war, women were required to walk 15 steps behind the man.

After the gulf war women were walking ahead of the man. That's a huge change in stature I thought.

"landmines" said the sheikh.

:D ... :unsure: ... :(

Comparing countries, there's almost a direct correlation between their women's freedom and economic development (unless they've got lots of oil).

Edit: Most of the northern European countries offer better maternity (and paternity) rights than the UK. In Germany, for example, parental leave (which can be taken by either parent) of up to 3 years is guaranteed.

Edited by snowflux

Except they don't take them. Asian culture is weird, taking your full holiday leave is considered disloyal to your company. Taking half is also seen as disloyal so in a game of one upman ship nobody takes any holidays and does masses of unpaid overtime to prove their loyalty.

Japanese, Korean and Chinese corporations cover up death by overwork and completely deny its existence. Japan has started to change when it was I think a Toshiba engineer who'd been doing 120hour weeks for years died on the production line. The initial inquiry was that he'd fallen into the machine and gotten mashed up by the machine ~ this was the cause of his death.

Then turned out his heart had stopped from too much overwork and stress and thus he collapsed into the machine.

Except they don't take them. Asian culture is weird, taking your full holiday leave is considered disloyal to your company. Taking half is also seen as disloyal so in a game of one upman ship nobody takes any holidays and does masses of unpaid overtime to prove their loyalty.

Japanese, Korean and Chinese corporations cover up death by overwork and completely deny its existence. Japan has started to change when it was I think a Toshiba engineer who'd been doing 120hour weeks for years died on the production line. The initial inquiry was that he'd fallen into the machine and gotten mashed up by the machine ~ this was the cause of his death.

Then turned out his heart had stopped from too much overwork and stress and thus he collapsed into the machine.

My experiences in Germany, on the other hand, were quite different. Nobody would consider not taking their full holiday allowance or working large amounts of overtime (except in exceptional circumstances). It would be seen as an admission that you couldn't do you job well enough to complete it during normal office hours.

Edit: However, when at work, they really do work. Nowhere near as much messing around as in the UK.

Edited by snowflux

My experiences in Germany, on the other hand, were quite different. Nobody would consider not taking their full holiday allowance or working large amounts of overtime (except in exceptional circumstances). It would be seen as an admission that you couldn't do you job well enough to complete it during normal office hours.

+1

We need to work smarter and more efficient, not longer.

If the Americans and Asians are happy flogging themselves to death for negative productivity returns, then good luck to them.

I read that and thought you'd have to be completely stupid to do something like that, then I remembered we've got politicians.

The other option is to make it easy for one parent (to appease the equal opportunity brigade) to stay at home and not work, although that would mean having an economy where one bread winner can support their family.

That would bring a 3 bed semi down to around £50,000 again as av. REAL wage levels countrywide fall to £20,000 with no overtime available

Houses - minted investments? (slaughtered lambies also get minted)

+1

We need to work smarter and more efficient, not longer.

If the Americans and Asians are happy flogging themselves to death for negative productivity returns, then good luck to them.

Tell that to the bosses! It is so ingrained in the culture that you are made to feel like a traitor for taking time off and to have let other people down....

Its pretty much like Orwell described. How Eastasia had a much smaller land mass than Oceana and Eurasia. But they were much more industrious via death worship...... a lot of people I know in Japan (not Japanese natives) say Japanese culture appears to be all about death.

Tell that to the bosses! It is so ingrained in the culture that you are made to feel like a traitor for taking time off and to have let other people down....

Its pretty much like Orwell described. How Eastasia had a much smaller land mass than Oceana and Eurasia. But they were much more industrious via death worship...... a lot of people I know in Japan (not Japanese natives) say Japanese culture appears to be all about death.

and they're proffiting from it, (or so they think).

It all depends.

At my place of work we pay particular attention to people regularly working lots of overtime. It indicates that either somebody is not up to the job or that its past time we hired people to match the workload. Point is our people have worth and we know its very costly to hire and train replacements. Basic profitability considerations lead us to ensure we carefully find the balance between their enthusiasm for their work and driving them to look for somewhere else.

If bosses are different either the business has the wrong kind of bosses, or they think their staff are genuinely cheaply replaced and not worth trying to keep. Its a sad fact of life that lots of bosses and lots of workforces fit that description.

Edit: However, when at work, they really do work. Nowhere near as much messing around as in the UK.

Mesing about - like on here?!

;)