House Price Crash Forum
catmandu

This Is What I've Not Bought..

Under normal, reasonable market conditions, I'd have bought a nice big house (maybe 4 bed). When you buy your first house to live in, there are other things you might expect to be required. Because I have delayed my purchase, in the last year, I have not bought:

- 4 beds

- sofa and chairs

- dining table and chairs

- lots of wallpaper and paint, step-ladder etc

- carpets

- new kitchen and/or bathroom

- garden equipment

- possibly a car depending on house location

- a whole bunch of other tat to fit out the house

Last week a carpet company went bust, over the months, various furniture retailers have been struggling and DIY stores have reported lower earnings.

Given that few people are moving, I always wonder whether it's fair for governments to try to keep house prices high (stamp duty changes/FTB incentives etc) at the expense of all these other businesses.

Just my thought for the day.

In the last year I've bought a settee, wardrobe and drawers, curtains, paint, varnish and a few other bits and bobs.

I have a secure tenancy with a housing association. I plan to make improvements to my home...

Bah, in the past four months I moved out of my grotty bedsit and into a two up two down.

However old habits die hard and I still have zero furniture bar a chair I'm sat in and a small desk. I trimmed my belongings and I now live out of one big rucksack. I can be gone in minutes.

Bah, in the past four months I moved out of my grotty bedsit and into a two up two down.

However old habits die hard and I still have zero furniture bar a chair I'm sat in and a small desk. I trimmed my belongings and I now live out of one big rucksack. I can be gone in minutes.

A rucksack you say? Luxury.

I have my belongings in a 5p Marks & Sparks bag, which includes a can of beans, a spoon, and a plastic tin opener from Aldi.

How the other half live eh?

Not bought a thing for my house. Oh well a new rug, but as I rent it don't count as for the house. Got a number of computers, laptops etc, have been buying lots of clothes whilst slave labour in the east makes them cheap - surely that can't go on forever?! Do you blame me? Sure, like as if people complain about all the adverts for a new school uniform costing £15 in TOTAL - that doesn't literally require slave labour - course not!

As for buying expensive houses and all the paraphenalia - I couldn't even justify paying for a sinlge twig in a vase to be honest, not until after the crash. And even then it would be flowers in vases really, I've missed the mantra with twigs completely sadly, just like I missed the housing boat. God bless her and all who sink in her.

Yes- pushing the cost of housing beyond the reach of much of the population and thus decimating the market for house related goods and services was such a great idea- whatever would we do without all that highly paid talent in the city to ensure that capital was invested in a positive and constructive way. :lol::lol::lol:

Well, if you let governments do it then they will, and to be fair the previous government did it to excess

Given that few people are moving, I always wonder whether it's fair for governments to try to keep house prices high (stamp duty changes/FTB incentives etc) at the expense of all these other businesses.

Well I am moving next week.

I plan to buy high fencing, trellis, bolt locks, and new locks and anything else security related. Maybe a big dog.

The only luxury item maybe a new sofa.

I plan to buy high fencing, trellis, bolt locks, and new locks and anything else security related. Maybe a big dog.

Nice postcode? :o:blink:

Tottenham I presume...

Don't forget bullet-proof windows and a steel-framed door.

Blindati_1.jpg

Edited by awake_eagle

I'd hold off on the sofa until you're convinced the dog won't eat it!!

Sorry, I hadn't realised I was sharing a forum with the sort of people who buy their own furniture.

Well if it suits you, great. I have to say that sounds a pretty sad way to live to me. Why do you chose to live like this?

I like your style :)

Not sure what I'd grab if push came to shove but It wouldn't fill more than a suitcase, the other half is another matter, her shoes alone would fill more than my suitcase of my worldly goods :lol:

Historical precedent.

Could you expand - in sentences of more than two words?

I am genuinely interested in why you have chosen a lifestyle that would appear to be so transient.

Could you expand - in sentences of more than two words?

I am genuinely interested in why you have chosen a lifestyle that would appear to be so transient.

The only under-30s I know who are not living transient lives are living with their parents. Everybody else just gets shoved from place to place by notice from landlords and involuntary redundancy.

Maybe ken has figured this out and decided to go with the flow. I know I have started strictly controlling my possessions as I no longer expect to stay in one house for more than a couple of years.

Edited by Dorkins

I'm not at Ken's level - as I do have some furniture I've inherited (not chosen); I've also bought a desk and disposable-cheap bookshelves. I bought a new mattress because I felt more comfortable avoiding someone else's... and it sits on a second-hand bed-base that replaces a divan that I got ex-display for coppers over a decade ago. If asked if I'm happy with this - I usually identify that I'm miserable about not owning a sofa... this prompts people to suggest I just buy one. I could easily afford to buy even a luxury top-of-the-range suite, but I don't. I live in rented accommodation - and have zero confidence about where I'll live in future. It might be a one-bed flat in a city centre or a 5-bed detached place in the wilderness. It might have local amenities but require economic use of interior space - or it might have acres of floor space but require a drive to get anywhere. I might spend most evenings at home or I might be "out". The architectural style might be modern or from any period in history. I might have plenty of bedrooms or need to put up a visitor on my couch. In the short-term, I don't envisage buying a place - so, likely I'll be forced to accept someone else's taste in décor and carpets, too... which makes selecting colours almost impossible.

So - sofas... I could buy an el-cheapo £300-400 job and not care about quality or comfort or finish or style. That would be an improvement... but the delivery lead time is a couple of months... and, by then, there's a non-zero chance I'll have relocated. Even if I order at the beginning of a 6-month tenancy, I can only expect to get 4 months use of my purchase. In any case, if I'm looking to part with £400 for something, I'd want to be pleased with the result - and I think I need to up my budget... Really I'd like a matching pair of sofas - one large and one smaller... looking for quality build and finish... and I think the budget would then come closer to £1000 to £1500 each - and the lead time rises to ~12 weeks - typically. Re-assessing, £2500 for something to sit on for 3 months (as I don't know if they'd fit where I end up next) seems quite expensive... in fact, so expensive that I can't justify it... I'm not profligate. Without a comfortable sofa, I'm not inclined to watch TV - so I've also delayed buying the 42" LCD I'd like... indefinitely... which has the added advantage that the price has plunged from ~£2500 to £600 in the interim. Similar reasoning leaves me without motivation to buy a blue-ray player or to sort out my hi-fi, which is currently cobbled together from 10-20 year old separates that could be found for £5 on a car boot sale if someone wanted to emulate my current set-up - it is seldom turned on.

I don't own much I care about - and everything fits into a single self-hire van. I won't acquire anything that isn't purely functional until such time as I can be sure I won't be forced to burn it in a big bonfire should I be forced to move on at the whim of a landlord. Put simply, there's no point.

Edited by A.steve

I'm not at Ken's level - as I do have some furniture I've inherited (not chosen); I've also bought a desk and disposable-cheap bookshelves. I bought a new mattress because I felt more comfortable avoiding someone else's... and it sits on a second-hand bed-base that replaces a divan that I got ex-display for coppers over a decade ago. If asked if I'm happy with this - I usually identify that I'm miserable about not owning a sofa... this prompts people to suggest I just buy one. I could easily afford to buy even a luxury top-of-the-range suite, but I don't. I live in rented accommodation - and have zero confidence about where I'll live in future. It might be a one-bed flat in a city centre or a 5-bed detached place in the wilderness. It might have local amenities but require economic use of interior space - or it might have acres of floor space but require a drive to get anywhere. I might spend most evenings at home or I might be "out". The architectural style might be modern or from any period in history. I might have plenty of bedrooms or need to put up a visitor on my couch. In the short-term, I don't envisage buying a place - so, likely I'll be forced to accept someone else's taste in décor and carpets, too... which makes selecting colours almost impossible.

So - sofas... I could buy an el-cheapo £300-400 job and not care about quality or comfort or finish or style. That would be an improvement... but the delivery lead time is a couple of months... and, by then, there's a non-zero chance I'll have relocated. Even if I order at the beginning of a 6-month tenancy, I can only expect to get 4 months use of my purchase. In any case, if I'm looking to part with £400 for something, I'd want to be pleased with the result - and I think I need to up my budget... Really I'd like a matching pair of sofas - one large and one smaller... looking for quality build and finish... and I think the budget would then come closer to £1000 to £1500 each - and the lead time rises to ~12 weeks - typically. Re-assessing, £2500 for something to sit on for 3 months (as I don't know if they'd fit where I end up next) seems quite expensive... in fact, so expensive that I can't justify it... I'm not profligate. Without a comfortable sofa, I'm not inclined to watch TV - so I've also delayed buying the 42" LCD I'd like... indefinitely... which has the added advantage that the price has plunged from ~£2500 to £600 in the interim. Similar reasoning leaves me without motivation to buy a blue-ray player or to sort out my hi-fi, which is currently cobbled together from 10-20 year old separates that could be found for £5 on a car boot sale if someone wanted to emulate my current set-up - it is seldom turned on.

I don't own much I care about - and everything fits into a single self-hire van. I won't acquire anything that isn't purely functional until such time as I can be sure I won't be forced to burn it in a big bonfire should I be forced to move on at the whim of a landlord. Put simply, there's no point.

Just skimming your post, it seems like you are living your life 'on hold'. Now, while I am definitely not one for conspicuous consumption, if you need a sofa, you can get one from Argos in a week. We got ours from the YMCA for £100. It is fine, and I am comfy of an evening. Why make your life uncomfortable when you can make a small change to improve it? You know that there is a lot of psych research that says that dwelling on the negative builds neural pathways so you then attend to the negative - you see more of it. A vicious cycle - you attend more, you experience more negativity so you see more negativity etc etc.

Why not break the cycle, get a sofa, get comfy and build some positive connections B). if you have to move quickly, then so be it. Take it with you - we all know a friend with a van or roof rack - or pass it on to charity and start again in your new place. Stuff doesn't have to cost ££££ to be of worth to you.

Just skimming your post, it seems like you are living your life 'on hold'. Now, while I am definitely not one for conspicuous consumption, if you need a sofa, you can get one from Argos in a week. We got ours from the YMCA for £100. It is fine, and I am comfy of an evening. Why make your life uncomfortable when you can make a small change to improve it? You know that there is a lot of psych research that says that dwelling on the negative builds neural pathways so you then attend to the negative - you see more of it. A vicious cycle - you attend more, you experience more negativity so you see more negativity etc etc.

Why not break the cycle, get a sofa, get comfy and build some positive connections B). if you have to move quickly, then so be it. Take it with you - we all know a friend with a van or roof rack - or pass it on to charity and start again in your new place. Stuff doesn't have to cost ££££ to be of worth to you.

or join Freecycle, you could probably get one for free!

A rucksack you say? Luxury.

I have my belongings in a 5p Marks & Sparks bag, which includes a can of beans, a spoon, and a plastic tin opener from Aldi.

How the other half live eh?

That's upmarket, a 5p Marks & Sparks bag. What's wrong with free bag from another shop?:rolleyes: