House Price Crash Forum
thedude

Santander And My Nan

I'll try and condense this a bit.

My 90 year old nan, Not in the best of health but still all there decides she wants to take out a few thousand from her account at Santander. She called and arranged so she could get it a week prior (wanted it in cash). So we took her in with bills and other means of ID but her passport has expired and doesn't have a driving licence. All on the screen about her coming in but as she didn't have an up to date passport they said she could only have 500 quid.

The manager came out and was most unhelpful. Said there was nothing she could do. So we got home and rang to complain mainly about the lack of common sense at the bank. Up shot of it is she will now take all her money out instead of just a few K.

They offered to send her flowers...

Just an anecdotal but thought I'd put it out there.

My 90 year old nan, Not in the best of health but still all there decides she wants to take out a few thousand from her account at Santander. She called and arranged so she could get it a week prior (wanted it in cash). So we took her in with bills and other means of ID but her passport has expired and doesn't have a driving licence. All on the screen about her coming in but as she didn't have an up to date passport they said she could only have 500 quid.

The manager came out and was most unhelpful. Said there was nothing she could do. So we got home and rang to complain mainly about the lack of common sense at the bank. Up shot of it is she will now take all her money out instead of just a few K.

Your Nan is wise beyond her years. If, like me (who aint so wise, I admit), she ended up a Santander customer because she used to bank with a different bank then I would encourage her to move *everything* as quickly as possible. Not because I anticipate problems with Santander (or any other bank for that matter) it's just the sense of relief I felt when I shut down all my Santander accounts was palpable and as good as .. well, a holiday. I thank my lucky stars every day that Santander no longer gets any of my time or effort.

Seem to be more complaints about Santander than any other. You should email one of the weekend papers that air problems with lousy bank service - both Sun Times and Sat. Telegraph money sections do them.

Plenty of people don't have passports or driving licences, and not just the elderly who've let them lapse.

Colleague of mine, younger than me, doesn't drive and hasn't had a valid passport for years. She was executor for an old uncle who died, not a lot of money involved, but his bank demanded passport or dr. licence ID. She can be exceedingly stroppy in a peculiarly calm way that unnerves people - said she didn't have either, neither was a legal requirement, they had no right to demand them, and she wasn't going away until they agreed to accept something else.

In the end I think they accepted her photo-ID from work.

I know we've had banks demanding passport ID from elderly relatives who'd let them lapse years previously, but commonsense has prevailed and they've accepted the old ones or something else.

I applaud bank's stringent security measures. Your damned if you do and damned if you don't in this bloody country, people are never happy. I for one want the highest level of security for my money regardless of which bank it's in. I don't want someone (regardless of age) given discretionary access to their account using out of date ID because it weakens the system for everyone. Not everyone is good, there will be some people that abuse any little discretion they can as times are tough.

Exactly the same thing happened with my mother. Tried to reason with the "manager" re my mother's out of date passport and was told she'd need a current one or a driving licence. My mother was quite excited about trying to get a driving licence at her age. Manager told me that if the passport had expired it might mean my mother was no longer a resident of the UK (so what?)

We went home and phoned the call centre and I closed all my mothers' accounts on her behalf (pretending to be her). Cheques were sent/monies transferred into her current account quite promptly.

Mum wants nothing more to do with Santander and has also changed her home insurance which had been organised through them. Santander must be losing lots of customers as I've heard lots of similar tales.

I applaud bank's stringent security measures. Your damned if you do and damned if you don't in this bloody country, people are never happy. I for one want the highest level of security for my money regardless of which bank it's in. I don't want someone (regardless of age) given discretionary access to their account using out of date ID because it weakens the system for everyone. Not everyone is good, there will be some people that abuse any little discretion they can as times are tough.

If your passport is out of date does that mean you are not the same person?

Your Nan is wise beyond her years. If, like me (who aint so wise, I admit), she ended up a Santander customer because she used to bank with a different bank then I would encourage her to move *everything* as quickly as possible.

I read this topic purely because the title drew me in. "Santander And My Nan". Great title and like your Nans style.

I am a Santander customer by default of banking with Alliance & Leicester. I didn't choose to be. I've not had any issues with Santander but I suspect that's because I've never done anything more complicated than some simple online transactions and so far I've never had to ring them. I still have an overwhelming desire to remove all my cash from my savings account and invest it in Premium Bonds instead. It's on my to do list and I've got the form ready. I know I'll just feel better.

Edited by Starla

Cash is the problem, they cannot trace where it's going, obviously your Nan is a Gangster of some kind and was looking to withdraw bundles of cash to buy ammo for her Uzi 9mm :lol:

And they wonder why old people keep money in the house, hardly surprising with banks this useless!

Edited by MrFlibble

They are a bunch of idiots.

We opened up a joint savings bond for a year, in the names of myself and my wife. The second letter we got from them had my name correct and the wife's name with a completely different surname (beginning with the same letter of the alphabet) so I'm guessing a missing comma in a txt file somewhere. Doesn't fill me full of confidence though as they don't even know the name of the person who opened the account. presumably if this had happened on an individual account they wouldn't have let my wife have the money because her name didn't match!

Soon as that bond matures we are out of there.

Although one can't be ar$ed type bloke in a branch winds me up when I go there (just one bad branch I know of), I have had nothing but great service from them by post when I had an issue and had to deal with their customer services department. I got a proper letter and everything was straightened out fast. As a bonus to that, one of their credit cards, Zero, saves me a fortune in fees when I am abroad

Edited by inflating

Totally agree. How would you feel if your money was nicked and it turned out view accepted a moody passport?

Totally agree. How would you feel if your money was nicked and it turned out view accepted a moody passport?

I'm curious how the act of 'expiring' makes a passport or driving license any less valid that it was the day previously in terms of being a way to identify someone.

I'm curious how the act of 'expiring' makes a passport or driving license any less valid that it was the day previously in terms of being a way to identify someone.

I had similar, rocked up at the rbos branch, went to large cash counter, asked for 1K needed to buy car. Produced my completely valid passport (I had checked on line beforehand to see what was needed).

Counter person: "Sir, you address on your passport is different to our records"

Me: "And? It is proof of who I am, not proof of where I live. You don't buy a new passport everytime you change address do you?"

Counter person: "hmmmmm, ehhhhhh, I'll just be a moment sir"

After much scurrying they came back with a supervisor guy, who explained he couldn't physically put it through the system, but he could give me 900 and asked that I take the last 100 out the cash machine outside. I didn't think it was worth the fight, took the 900 whilst silently shaking my head at him.

It doesn't.

The general accepted view is that an expired passport (as long as it isn't too old), is a perfectly acceptable from for ID purposes, but (obvioulsy) not good for travel.

The bank were wrong.

tim