House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cybernoid

4 Years For Posting On Facebook

2 kids early 20s get 4 YEARS for staying in their homes and posting on facebook, encouraging the riots. The reaction to the riots are far more worrying than the riots themselves, and make me suspicious of why they came about in the first place.

Ridiculous. This country is nuts.

Why are you people so quick to excuse and apologise for ******ing these rioters? Riot is as serious a crime as it gets. Christ, if there was rioting on my street I'd want the troops out with live rounds.

You do wonder if the intent is to kill the internet.

Oops used the word kill in a sentence! :ph34r:

Compounded by the fact I used the word sentence talking about the judiciary. :o

A little bit too much knee-jerking going on; this sentence is completely disproportionate.

Are there good riots (morally OK - say if they happen in a different country) and bad riots? Not condoning the wanton destruction of property for kicks.

4 years seems rather lenient for having a facebook account.

Needs to be 10.

Edit: Shouldn't Keiser Chiefs be jalied for predicting a riot? I'm sue there are hundreds of similar songs which could be deemed to incite riotous assembly over the years. Unfortunately none spring immediately to mind.

didn't the shameless looking guy get 10 weeks for trying to remove the eyes of a policeman? Some more proportionality would have been nice.

Saying that as i don't know how much these 2 really tried to get a riot going i'm not going to assume it was a random semi-serious sentence or two which would make 4 years a bit steep. Something about setting up a facebook thing specifically for it? Not sure how facebook works :P But if they were really trying hard to get a riot going 4 years seems reasonable considering what might have followed.

2 kids early 20s get 4 YEARS for staying in their homes and posting on facebook, encouraging the riots. The reaction to the riots are far more worrying than the riots themselves, and make me suspicious of why they came about in the first place.

What's your point? That the riots they encouraged did not transpire because too few people turned up so that's OK? That folk were not burnt from their homes because they didn't give their chavvy mates enough notice to turn up?

You disgust me.

4 years seems rather lenient for having a facebook account.

Needs to be 10.

Edit: Shouldn't Keiser Chiefs be jalied for predicting a riot? I'm sue there are hundreds of similar songs which could be deemed to incite riotous assembly over the years. Unfortunately none spring immediately to mind.

:lol:

What's your point? That the riots they encouraged did not transpire because too few people turned up so that's OK? That folk were not burnt from their homes because they didn't give their chavvy mates enough notice to turn up?

You disgust me.

Sit! Beg! Gooooood boy! Who's a clever boy? Yes you are! Yesss you are! Roll over and accept a police state, Goooooood boy!

Sit! Beg! Gooooood boy! Who's a clever boy? Yes you are! Yesss you are! Roll over and accept a police state, Goooooood boy!

yeah i know where you're coming from but have you considered we might actually need police protection? Did you read this http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/8699917/UK-riots-familys-nine-hour-ordeal-at-hands-of-mob-after-being-abandoned-by-police.html

Seriously if you have a family and a gang start breaking down your door what are you going to do? Take the chance that you can disable all of them and not leave a few who will take instant revenge on you and your family or would you put up no resistance and hope they just take your stuff and leave your daughters? What's it going to be, you have 1 minute to consider your options, no actually you have 9 hours to dwell on it while your children cower in fear.

That's a situation i never want to be in and other than jumping on this hard right now and showing the mindless scummers who's boss i can't think how better to avoid it being more common.

Frankly we either have better police protection or we start building big walls around our houses, which would you prefer? I've always had contempt for anarchists, who could think anarchy would be a good thing?

jailed for speaking ?

this was more unrest that rioting. it came after teh shooting incident and is a build up of underlying stress. a lot of knee jerking going on to please joe, but they know its only going to get worse.

we will either come together - which i witnessed after the riots, not with the 'brush mob' but of the unity between black and white. this time its not about color, its about generation frustration and not having a voice. smashing things sometimes is the only voice left, and thats not just me. countries do that - its called war.

4 years- they serve 2 at 100k per year per person.

more wastage.

knee jerk politics is a dangerous game with no one really at the wheell and i dont like the recent 'bring back the death penalty' talk. id be long gone if we went back to a situation where the state can take your life. however, a life sentence should be release upon natural death.

and drop the sky box treatment. thats crazy you pay for hospital tv, but get it free in prisons.

id like to see prisoners in chain gangs working back to the community. instead of lagging in some cell.

noting sinister about that.

everything else makes me cringe.

sides. its seems like a police protest against cuts. kind of them leaving the streets and going 'see what will happen if you cut our numbers'. the emergency services should be the last thing thats cust. we should really be starting with fred goodins pension and making people on benifits work 2 days for them clearing parks, footpaths and so on. prisoners should pull a 5 day week, either in prison manufacturing mail bags, or for people towards the end of sentence chain gang work on potholes.

obviously a key spot for smuggling, but the amount of contraband vs the amount of savings using that labor would b balanced i believe.

Why are you people so quick to excuse and apologise for ******ing these rioters? Riot is as serious a crime as it gets. Christ, if there was rioting on my street I'd want the troops out with live rounds.

+1

Too many hippies on here.

IMO, these kids don't just suddenly gain the propensity to riot overnight, they are a consequence of everything that has happened before them (which is almost entirely linked to government policy). The country gets the society it deserves.

2 kids early 20s get 4 YEARS for staying in their homes and posting on facebook

Um....at least one of them was arrested when he turned up at the location he had set to start the riot :rolleyes:

IMO, these kids don't just suddenly gain the propensity to riot overnight, they are a consequence of everything that has happened before them (which is almost entirely linked to government policy). The country gets the society it deserves.

+1

We've a fukc-over-the-next-guy culture in the UK and this as been working its way down the 'classes' for some time. Now it will work its way back up, the people complaining about the riots today could well be the ones out rioting tomorrow.

The solution the Cameron Regime have adopted is to come down hard and imprison via Kangaroo Courts. 6 months for stealing a bottle of water, 4 years for putting comments on Facebook, it's completely ridiculous. What is impressive is how quickly the legal system is working through these cases, the collation of evidence and the putting together of a case being performed in record time. Shame it doesn't work this well when the Average Joe gets robed, raped or beaten.

Personally I'm more worried by the way the regime is handling these riots than the riots themselves. They are not even interested in learning from why this happened. Imprisoning people doesn't work, it's been proved time and time again, these 'yobs' they are sending down will leave prison far more likely to commit crime than when they went in, far more likely to rape your wife or beat your child for his iPhone.

Totalitarianism is where we are heading, the riots are just another excuse to justify taking yet another step towards it.

People died in these riots.

At least they still have their lives.

I hope you enjoy your insurance premiums increase next year. <_<

And more people could have died too had these idiots been successful in organising their riots.

I think all these riot excusers would be soon change their minds should a riot turn up in their street, smash their car up and set fire to their house with thier family inside.

I fully support these sentences. It's just a shame prison terms for other offences are not just as harsh.

From what I could understand from the BBC report these 2 lads did not have any previous convictions nor were they known to the police.

The state can be vindictive particularly when it's apparatus is threatened. Who knows if these kids were serious in their planning or just getting caught up in a bit of online hysteria which was infecting the social networks on those nights.

That is no justification and clearly they need to be punished! But 4 years? Like for like the scrotes that actually left their houses, entered shops, looted and assaulted people should be getting life whilst those actually charged with the murders that took place should be getting executed....if convicted.

If you beleive these sentences are appropriate for the crime committed then presumably you would support the death penalty?

I saw this news this morning and I am completely shocked. Their actions were definitely miss-guided but I'd have thought their postings are like private comments between friends, if I had joking told my friends to go nick a TV would I be locked up ?

Is posting on a public forum, where it should be no different to saying something to a group on a public street, being monitored and used against people ?

Are the thought police sending out the message to people to not post anything radical on the internet ?

Do we live in a free society ?

This thread should be moved back onto the main forum. It is IMPORTANT.

P.S. I agree that the two in question should be punished...maybe community service etc but 4 years is beyond harsh.

yeah i know where you're coming from but have you considered we might actually need police protection?

Frankly we either have better police protection or we start building big walls around our houses, which would you prefer? I've always had contempt for anarchists, who could think anarchy would be a good thing?

The government are doing what governments do. Reacting in a knee jerk way to appease the rabid foam at the mouthers in a disproportionate way, reacting far too late to a situation of their own making and just making matters worse.

Some of the replies to this thread show that people are not thinking about this, they are scared and angry, never a good state of mind to be in when making serious decisions. This situation is years in the making, we all know this, most of these people are the result of labours state sponsored underclass breeding programme, this was always what was going to happen. Now I'm no erranta but you have to wonder about the motivation.

And now here we are, the inevitable has happened, and most of the population are screaming for disproportionate response, extra powers are being rushed in, 'rule books' (their words) years in the making being thrown out the window so crazy sentences can be handed out to cheers by the braying mob. I'm not a lefty loony, but this requires thought,not emotion.

People here are saying what if it was your family. Well, some shops have been smashed up, and those responsible are scum, or course. And no one wants them banging down their own door, of course. But equally does anyone here, who posts on a largely anti government website, want police in riot gear banging down their door and arresting them to sentence them to years inside for posting on an Internet forum? Calm down, think.

This is considered an act of terrorism. It diverted police resources at a time of public disorder. It is the same as making a bomb threat. The maximum sentence is ten years so they got off lightly.

+1

Too many hippies on here.

No - just too many people who are intelligent enough to realise that when you can get four years in jail for essentially expressing an opinion on a Facebook page, it's a very bad thing for your own freedom of speech a short distance down the line.

Those who have taken the time to observe and analyse events in recent years can see how extreme measures that get introduced under the cover of some high-profile and/or hyped up situation (pedos, terrorism and now rioters) then get extended to other aspects of life. It's how the establishment works - thin end of the wedge. Only in this case they've taken the opportunity to hammer it well and truly in. I guess that's because they realise the shelf-life of this issue is short and they need to get as much out of it as possible.

Having successfully targeted social networks (also with plans to shut down mobile networks - Arab dictator stylee) then next up: A clampdown on encryption. After all, encrypted Blackberry messages were what caused all the trouble, right? We must stop this evil encryption for the sake of our society ... God forbid the chaos that could happen should people have a way of protecting their privacy from the all seeing glance of the State.