House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
stooboy

Converyancing In Scotland

As a FTB im not to up on the whole conveyancing thing.

I put an offer in on a house today that was unfortunately rejected.

The thing is the solicitor I initially contacted, I was a disappointed with, despite the property I was interested in had been up for sale for months (owner had died) been to a closing date already and not sold. I was advised not to offer a penny less than the offers over...

This solicitor did divulge that she did know about the property as she had been dealing with it earlier in the week, but the interested party had pulled out having not secured a mortgage. She told that she would have to divulge if they where working on the property with another client.

I never knew that but makes sense one solicitor bidding on one house with two interested parties.

Thus feeling disgruntled I called all the local solicitors primarily to find out if they where available to work on the conveyancing for me or where working for someone else, and the 2nd thing was to find out the costs, which varied quite a lot to my surprise..

None of the solicitors declined to work on the house for me thus i knew non of the local solicitors where working on the house for the 2nd upcoming closing date. (right /wrong?)

So i put in an off 20k below asking, my feeling off the value, told it would be embarrassing for the seller yada yada. tough its meh money tell em how it is.

Got a call later on to say i was not successful :( ho humm

I guess she was right but for me i cant afford the extra 20k and still live comfortably, im sure something else will come along though.

The thing is how do you choose a good solicitor? is cheaper worse ?

Is it bad practice, to call all the solicitors to find out if they are acting on the property for someone or not, this time i had the added value factor of finding out their fees probably wont get away with that a second time.

Is it illegal for example I put in a bid of 90k on a house met with scorn, i get my best mate to put in an offer off 80k on it also, which obviously will not be accepted but in the circumstances of things make my bid a clear winner !?

Can a solicitor refuse to put a bin in on your behalf if they think its "insulting" ? I think in the current market there are no insulting bids.

I don't know much aboot this. But I am pretty certain they have to put an offer in if you make it. They are working for you afterall and what offer you put in is up to yourself.

As for the mate thing ? I doubt it would illegal. However as I said I am not too clued up on this. As long as your pal was willing/able to actually buy the house if his offer is accepted than I don't see how it can be illegal. A bit sneak y yes - but hey ho.

This happens in auctions anyway. The auctioneer can have a blind bidder and he is actually just making up the bid himself. Had it on one of those darn property shows a while back. :D

If they can just make a bid up in this way - I highly doubt getting your pal to put in a real bid is illegal. Would check with someone who knows though. I don't for sure.

Not sure about solicitors being able to act on behalf of two buyers for the same property, but fairly sure that they're not allowed to act on behalf of the seller and the buyer of the same property.

When I bought a house, during the negotiations my solicitor recommended I made a 3rd offer of 2.5k above my 2nd offer. I did, and secured the house, but afterwards regretted it as I'm pretty sure I'd have got the house without a 3rd offer. I started wondering why my solicitor suggesting such things to me - my conclusion was that they just wanted the sale and the easiest way was just to recommend me to pay what the vendor wanted.

Anyway, those were the heady bubble days and I considered it to be a good lesson - preparation for when I buy a much more expensive house in the next months/couple of years.

As a FTB im not to up on the whole conveyancing thing.

I put an offer in on a house today that was unfortunately rejected.

The thing is the solicitor I initially contacted, I was a disappointed with, despite the property I was interested in had been up for sale for months (owner had died) been to a closing date already and not sold. I was advised not to offer a penny less than the offers over...

This solicitor did divulge that she did know about the property as she had been dealing with it earlier in the week, but the interested party had pulled out having not secured a mortgage. She told that she would have to divulge if they where working on the property with another client.

I never knew that but makes sense one solicitor bidding on one house with two interested parties.

Thus feeling disgruntled I called all the local solicitors primarily to find out if they where available to work on the conveyancing for me or where working for someone else, and the 2nd thing was to find out the costs, which varied quite a lot to my surprise..

None of the solicitors declined to work on the house for me thus i knew non of the local solicitors where working on the house for the 2nd upcoming closing date. (right /wrong?)

So i put in an off 20k below asking, my feeling off the value, told it would be embarrassing for the seller yada yada. tough its meh money tell em how it is.

Got a call later on to say i was not successful :( ho humm

I guess she was right but for me i cant afford the extra 20k and still live comfortably, im sure something else will come along though.

The thing is how do you choose a good solicitor? is cheaper worse ?

Is it bad practice, to call all the solicitors to find out if they are acting on the property for someone or not, this time i had the added value factor of finding out their fees probably wont get away with that a second time.

Is it illegal for example I put in a bid of 90k on a house met with scorn, i get my best mate to put in an offer off 80k on it also, which obviously will not be accepted but in the circumstances of things make my bid a clear winner !?

Can a solicitor refuse to put a bin in on your behalf if they think its "insulting" ? I think in the current market there are no insulting bids.

Cheaper is not necessarily worse. Have any of your friends or family used one they could recommend ? I don't know where you are but you don't have to use local, everything could be done by email, fax.etc. Big city solicitors tend to be more expensive than smaller towns but bigger practices are not necessarily more expensive than smaller ones. Phone round and get comparable quotes - it is no different than any other service.

A solicitor can't act for more than one buyer at a time offering on the same property. Equally a solicitor can't act for the buyer and seller. However if it is a big practice with multiple solicitors a different one could act for individual buyers offering or one could be acting for the seller and one for the buyer. They should tell you rather than you asking but it might save time to do so at the outset rather than go through a whole rigmarole to then find out they can't act.

Re the multiple bids idea, some solicitors will (and should) qualify a lot of details about the buyer including if they have a mortgage in principle etc. If it is a closing date though and there is a higher offer it won't help and if your offer is still less than the sellers are either willing or able to accept it won't help either. The agent and seller could also be aware the other offeror hadn't viewed so would be suspicious.

A solicitor can advise you but should not refuse to put in your bid, whatever that is. The last thing you should be worried about is 'insulting' the seller. Offer only what you can afford and what the property is worth to you. You are right there will be others.

Remember though if there is no closing date you don't have to submit a written offer - you can offer verbally and negotiate an agreement before doing a written offer. It is a buyers market and provided you and the selling agent know you can get a mortgage you will be welcomed I can assure you