House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Traffic Officer Jailed For 14 Months After Giving His Girlfriend Herpes

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2026598/Man-jailed-14-months-giving-girlfriend-HERPES.html

A man who infected his girlfriend with a sexually transmitted disease has been jailed for 14 months.

David Golding, 28, admitted causing grievous bodily harm after giving his ex-partner genital herpes during their relationship.

Northampton Crown Court heard traffic officer Golding kept quiet about his STD when the couple got together in 2009.

So will anyone be jailed for this now?

This is madness, how many cases could follow now? A jail sentence too, there is not enough room in the jails! That article says there are nearly 75,000 new cases a year. Also, have read that 50% of new cases are caused by people with cold sores performing oral who were ignorant of the risks, are they going to be jailed too?

I agree with the sentence. If you've been medically diagnosed with an STD that is impossible to cure and then proceed to have unprotected sex with a partner without making them aware first of your condition then you've exposed that person to risk without them being aware with the odds that it will medically harm them. All this sentence is saying is take some responsibility for your condition. Now if your partner is aware and accepts the risk then that's fine, two adults consenting, nobody elses business.

I agree with the sentence. If you've been medically diagnosed with an STD that is impossible to cure and then proceed to have unprotected sex with a partner without making them aware first of your condition then you've exposed that person to risk without them being aware with the odds that it will medically harm them. All this sentence is saying is take some responsibility for your condition. Now if your partner is aware and accepts the risk then that's fine, two adults consenting, nobody elses business.

but how do you prove that you told someone? Say the non-infected partner was told, took the risk and caught it and then gets dumped - bitterness or (it seems in this case she might actually have been hoping for a compensation claim) other reasons means that person goes out and says I was never told, how is it proved? What a waste of a court's time. Different if it was life threatening like HIV I agree but cold sores are not life threatening. Or what if the non-infected partner actually did have it already but didn't say and then went on afterwards to claim that they were not told. It's just too much of a minefield surely, given how bitter some people can act after break ups?

How is this any different from kissing someone when you know you have coldsores ? (Even if they are not present at the time you can pass them on).

It is sexual being the only difference. Why does this make things different ?

This is madness, how many cases could follow now? A jail sentence too, there is not enough room in the jails! That article says there are nearly 75,000 new cases a year. Also, have read that 50% of new cases are caused by people with cold sores performing oral who were ignorant of the risks, are they going to be jailed too?

Depends. If you knew you had it and kept quiet and passed it on you deserve to be punished. However, some cases are symptomless so you could have it and not even know.

Not sure about the bolded bit either. AFAIK the genital and mouth version are two seperate strains, to catch one, you would have to be infected by that strain.

Depends. If you knew you had it and kept quiet and passed it on you deserve to be punished. However, some cases are symptomless so you could have it and not even know.

Not sure about the bolded bit either. AFAIK the genital and mouth version are two seperate strains, to catch one, you would have to be infected by that strain.

He did admit to doing it on purpose. If he had denied it I think it would be impossible to prove it was him and not someone else. There is no way of knowing if she had got it form someone else, before or after he met this guy.

But then arent people who admit their guilt generally given lighter sentences ? SO how exactly has this bloke got 14 months for htis ?!

And I would think the same whether it was a bloke or a burd.

Quote below is interesting

Nigel Scott, spokesman for the Herpes Viruses Association, compared the case to prosecuting children for 'giving their friends chicken pox'.

Also if you read about it many experts think the viruses have interlinked over time and it is now possible to spread herpes via coldsores and vice versa. Have a google.

This burd also says that there was no visible sign of it on this bloke either. So if I have once had a coldsore (Which stays in your system forever but may not flare up ever again) have a quick kiss with a girl in a pub - then technically if she gets a coldsore - then calls the Police - and I admit that I once had a cold sore - I can be put in jail for 14 months for it ?!

Exactly the same situation as far as I can see. This country really does some ******ed up things.

This is ******ing insane. I know a bloke who now has to pay money for twins that he has. Burd told him that she was on the pil but wasn't. If you get 14 months for giving someone a cold sore /herpes - how long in jail does this burd deserve ? 10 years perhaps ?

So, it's reasonable that someone going to work KNOWING they had a heavy cold or flu should be given 20hrs community service per victim they subsequently infect or are suspected of infecting?

genital herpes affects 1:10 people in the UK.(6m people)

75% of the population carry one of the HSV viruses by 25

Most people never know they have it

There are several problems with this position.

1. It will discourage people, mainly men, from ever being tested for venereal disease in the first place, and result in a 'don't ask, don't tell' approach by default. One of the major causes of VD transmission as it is is people being too embarrassed to seek help when symptoms present; if they also get the idea into their head that doing so could land them in jail, the problem will get even worse.

2. It is inherently misandrous. If this case is allowed to serve as a precedent in prosecution policy, you can be sure that men will be locked up in their droves, but that no women will ever be prosecuted.

3. What happens if you get into a 'he said / she said' situation in court? By its very nature, sex is something that takes place without other witnesses present or any other form of objective evidence. This is why rape cases are so difficult, and why both actual rapists (by fallaciously claiming that the sex was consensual) and false rape accusers (by fallaciously claiming that it was forced) can and do cause so much damage. This case is basically extending the problem to the transmission of VDs, too.

4. And as others have pointed out, where do you stop once you've established this principle? What happens if you have an infectious bug of the non-venereal variety, you've used up all your sick pay, your boss threatens you with a written warning if you don't show up for work, you show up for work and infect a whole lot of other people? And would you prosecute the boss as well under those circumstances?

genital herpes affects 1:10 people in the UK.(6m people)

75% of the population carry one of the HSV viruses by 25

Most people never know they have it

I thought that was chlamydia 1:10

if not :shock:

I thought that was chlamydia 1:10

if not :shock:

The figure from an article about the case written by the Herpes Virus Association (not a charity I've seen rattle their tins) in the current issue of private eye. Interestingly, they highlight the change in perception of genital herpes, from a generally benign condition to one of a 'dreaded disease' being driven by the drug company behind Acyclovir in the early 80's.

The figure from an article about the case written by the Herpes Virus Association (not a charity I've seen rattle their tins) in the current issue of private eye. Interestingly, they highlight the change in perception of genital herpes, from a generally benign condition to one of a 'dreaded disease' being driven by the drug company behind Acyclovir in the early 80's.

Yes, good article http://drphilhammond.com/blog/category/private-eye/

Fascinating about the drugs company, can well believe it.

So, it's reasonable that someone going to work KNOWING they had a heavy cold or flu should be given 20hrs community service per victim they subsequently infect or are suspected of infecting?

Difference being, you recover from a cold. Herpes is for life, not just for christmas.

And as it happens, I hate people dragging themselves into the office whilst ill, playing martyr to the cause, and subsequently infecting everyone else, just because they're such ego-maniacs they think it all breaks down without them.

He was infected and he purposely gave it to this chick so no-one else would want her. People are defending this??

He was infected and he purposely gave it to this chick so no-one else would want her. People are defending this??

That's what she said. Is it true? Doubt it. He did not have visible symptoms and was told by a doctor that it couldn't be transmitted when not active. Actually a small amount of times it is passed on apparently but even doctors are often misinformed about this.

Did the person who gave him herpes also get jailed?

Very good point.

Difference being, you recover from a cold. Herpes is for life, not just for christmas.

And as it happens, I hate people dragging themselves into the office whilst ill, playing martyr to the cause, and subsequently infecting everyone else, just because they're such ego-maniacs they think it all breaks down without them.

No - people are saying the sentence is insane.

You ever had a cold, flu, chest infection, warts, fungal infection, sore throat or anything else ?

If the person that passed this onto you had known - before contacting you - that they had this affliction ? Would you want them to go to jail for it ?

That is the point some of us are making.

Very good point.

No - people are saying the sentence is insane.

You ever had a cold, flu, chest infection, warts, fungal infection, sore throat or anything else ?

If the person that passed this onto you had known - before contacting you - that they had this affliction ? Would you want them to go to jail for it ?

That is the point some of us are making.

Again, curable, doesn't affect you for the rest of your life. Its no different to assulting her and leaving her with scars that she'll carry for the rest of her life*

He admitted he did it on purpose. What if it were HIV, would he deserve punishment then?

* Except for the method of delivery.**

** Unless it was really kinky sex.

Edit - OK stop the press. Looks like I misread. If he did indeed do it by accident, then I'll agree its harsh. If he did in on purpose, he deserves it.

Again, curable, doesn't affect you for the rest of your life. Its no different to assulting her and leaving her with scars that she'll carry for the rest of her life*

He admitted he did it on purpose. What if it were HIV, would he deserve punishment then?

* Except for the method of delivery.**

** Unless it was really kinky sex.

Edit - OK stop the press. Looks like I misread. If he did indeed do it by accident, then I'll agree its harsh. If he did in on purpose, he deserves it.

NB - Some throat, warts and other infections do stay with you for good.

That is all I am saying. Plenty of people pass plenty of things onto others every second of every day on this planet. MOst of it not on purpose - however most will know that they are likely to do it. Is that any better in reality than actually intending it ?

Not a huge difference IMO. Outcome would be the same. However ti appears the legal outcome can be hugely different. It just seems out of kilter with reality in some way.

Intent makes a huge difference IMO. Rather like the whole murder/manslaughter thing. As you say, the end result is the same but it comes down to whether someone planned it like that or not..

Intent makes a huge difference IMO. Rather like the whole murder/manslaughter thing. As you say, the end result is the same but it comes down to whether someone planned it like that or not..

Well of course. However in this case - one results in absolutely nothing. No telling off. No harsh words. Nobody is even bothered (Well apart from the 'victim'.)

The other ? Results in 14 months in Jail.

Something very wrong there.

Can related to this story.

Few years ago went out with a girl who had Hermes, fortunately she was only a carrier :rolleyes:

Gets coat...