• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

I am in a Truman Show type situation?

People keep posting talk of house prices being below 2007 levels and agents put prices up around me just so people can laugh at my reactions on the Redhat Show?

I've noticed one today that's been on since at least February at £299,950 that has gone up to £335,000

HOLA445

haha, that Rightmove Facebook page is looking more bearish than this board at the moment. "Lets be honest! is anyone selling????? or getting veiwers????????"

when discussing average selling vs asking prices:

"Michael Hughes Sarah if you look at the rightmove asking price index vs the land registry index which is actual sold prices the difference is around £60,000 which means that either vendors are on average accepting offers of £60,000 off their asking prices or more likely that the majority of over priced houses listed on rightmove simply never sell. "

HOLA446

Pure comedy gold. The lady is attempting to sell without much success:

Nicki Mortimer

Advice please! Have just dropped another ten grand off our house, have had a fourth bed added (and because we have dropped the price will have to take the loan with us when we move which we took out to do this) & have changed estate agents three times. We are now nearly twenty grand below it's market value yet are STILL not getting viewers - one in a year! HELP!

One respondent 'gets' it, but the seller (and another respondent) seem blissfully ignorant:

Michael Hughes-Market value is what buyers can afford to pay, not what the estate agent says it's is. If you have only had one viewing in a year it's still overpriced for the current market.

Nicki Mortimer Michael it also depends on what similar properties in the area are selling for/have sold for and mine is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay cheaper even though it's a bigger house on a bigger plot! I don't get it!

Katie Burgess-I'm finding a pattern in our area - first time buyers houses go for 145-155, the next step up is 225 and a 4 bed like your saying would be 240-260. We have a first time buyers house everyone who has stepped in the door has loved it - but thus far no one can get the mortgage. So us at the start of the property chain can't sell. We therefore can't buy the next house who would be likely to buy yours. I'm finding its not the price that's the problem its the mortgages. If we reduced to say 135 the next house would not come down to 200 for us to be able to afford it and thus the market stagnates. A viewer yesterday said he thought ours was cheap! Yet we remain unsold. Maybe you should give your property a breather from the market it - I don't know its condition but get it tip top to the best you can and stick with one agent at one price - your buyer will come!

Michael Hughes-Of course it's not mortgages! Banks are lending sensibly (in most cases). Buyers can only afford a mortgage that meets the sensible requirements. So your house needs to be priced to reflect this. If it's not it won't sell.

about an hour ago.

Nicki Mortimer-Yes mortgages are generally ok now if you can afford the hefty deposit - THAT's what is stopping so many peopl ebuying first time buyers houses which slows the chain. You can still buy a first time house for a sensible price. Why do so many first time buyers think us further up the ladder should cover the rest of the money? Or that we can afford to? You appear to be in the category of unrealistic first time buyers expecting the world to be handed to them on a plate. It's taken years of saving to be able to get the house I'm in - so first time buyers should expect the same to get a big house not for the current owners to have to sell at stupid prices just so they can jump straight up the ladder to a big house. I'll await another sarcastic comment from you..

Apparently it's sarcastic to say that if you've been unsuccessfuly trying to flog something for a year, it's too expensive. Another guy who suggested dropping the price regularly was basically treated like a loon. I wonder at what point they will realise that it's unlikely buyers are going to appear.

Edited by cheeznbreed

HOLA447

Pure comedy gold. The lady is attempting to sell without much success:

"Advice please! Have just dropped another ten grand off our house, have had a fourth bed added (and because we have dropped the price will have to take the loan with us when we move which we took out to do this) & have changed estate agents three times. We are now nearly twenty grand below it's market value yet are STILL not getting viewers - one in a year! HELP!"

Thanks for this, best laugh I've had in ages.

HOLA448

While I don't like to stereotype, has anyone else noticed that the folk on that Rightmove Facebook thread are almost all of the type "girls-who-set-their-Facebook-profile-picture-to-them-in-their-wedding-dress-or-holding-their-sprog" people. It's the reason I hardly ever log in to Facebook anymore.

Are these the mythical sheeple that are so fondly referred to on this site???

P.S. Hope that doesn't sound sexist - it wasn't supposed to be, and I know lots of girls who aren't dummy-mummies. There is something particular about the nest-building-and-blinkered-to-everything-but-babies mentality that lends itself to crazy HPI (that applies to guys too).

HOLA449

Thanks for this, best laugh I've had in ages.

I love this bit, in response to the woman dropping £10k and it still not shifting:

Simon Brotherton: Keep reducing by £10k a month until it sells. Accept the hit now or you'll be in a worse position next year. This is fire sale time.

Nicki Mortimer i think that's about as helpful as suggesting i put it on ebay as a 99p start no reserve auction but thanks anyway...[

Simon Brotherton Nicki that seems like a great idea. That way you will find your home's true market value. People on Ebay always have an eye for a bargain. Do keep us updated with your final sale price.

Where's the PMSL smiley ?

He's my HPC king for the day.

Edited by exiges

HOLA4410

I think this little statement sums up her character nicely "Well then maybe I should because my house IS a bargain! I'm guessing from your rude & sarcastic tones that you can not afford to get on the property ladder."

I don't doubt that maybe she had to save for a while before a mortgage was thrown at her, but it was most likely far easier for the good lady to get on the 'Ladder' than it is now, Or maybe, just maybe, potential purchasers don't believe that house prices will always go up and that there might just have been a tiny bubble thing happening. :huh:

HOLA4411

I think this little statement sums up her character nicely "Well then maybe I should because my house IS a bargain! I'm guessing from your rude & sarcastic tones that you can not afford to get on the property ladder."

I don't doubt that maybe she had to save for a while before a mortgage was thrown at her, but it was most likely far easier for the good lady to get on the 'Ladder' than it is now, Or maybe, just maybe, potential purchasers don't believe that house prices will always go up and that there might just have been a tiny bubble thing happening. :huh:

It is amazing how people like that poster think, I can imagine the thought process is something like this; anyone not able to obtain large amounts of debt to purchase an overpriced asset must be somehow deficient as a human being and should therefore be pitied or looked down upon.

I also agree with the previous post:

"girls-who-set-their-Facebook-profile-picture-to-them-in-their-wedding-dress-or-holding-their-sprog"

I also think this would be the same catagory as those who like to pose in the lavatory for profile pics , usually self made, under lighting so bad that they make them, and thier fake orange tans, glow like radioactive umpa-loompas who have just had botox lip injections that forces them to pout like they are Mick Jagger. You know the type Im sure ;)

HOLA4412

I also think this would be the same catagory as those who like to pose in the lavatory for profile pics , usually self made, under lighting so bad that they make them, and thier fake orange tans, glow like radioactive umpa-loompas who have just had botox lip injections that forces them to pout like they are Mick Jagger. You know the type Im sure ;)

Hey man, that's my sister you're talking about!

:D

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

While I don't like to stereotype, has anyone else noticed that the folk on that Rightmove Facebook thread are almost all of the type "girls-who-set-their-Facebook-profile-picture-to-them-in-their-wedding-dress-or-holding-their-sprog" people. It's the reason I hardly ever log in to Facebook anymore.

Me and my GF would like to thank you for 15 minutes of really amusing entertainment. Going though rightmove facebook friends using your theory we found that most of their profile pictures fell into the category of, sprog, dog or wedding. Some we even double points 'wedding spogs' or 'sprogs + dogs' we even found one frog. We couldn't find the triple pointer though 'Wedding sprogs and dogs'.

No wonder we never use facebook.

Very bearish on the rightmove page though. I found it most refreshing.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

I am in a Truman Show type situation?

People keep posting talk of house prices being below 2007 levels and agents put prices up around me just so people can laugh at my reactions on the Redhat Show?

I've noticed one today that's been on since at least February at £299,950 that has gone up to £335,000

Not alone. One in Swansea that was on for 300K 18 months ago now back on market this week for 345K. Deluded.

HOLA4417

Not alone. One in Swansea that was on for 300K 18 months ago now back on market this week for 345K. Deluded.

The deluded have a phrase for that. Apparently it is called "Market Value." This is a confusing term as it doesn't relate to what the property is worth, i.e. the price someone is willing to pay. No. Market value is what a 20 something EA tells you it should be put on the market for and then add 10%. Those who question market value can be disregarded as disgruntled FTB with no access to Mortgage funding.

HOLA4418

I couldn't resist wading in.....

Nick Hales Nikki - apologies to wade into this one but you seem to have fallen into another classic trap..."borrowed extra money for home improvements which have added value"... how can installing, say, a new bathroom or kitchen possibly ever add more value than what it cost to install? If anything, such "improvements" depreciate over their useful life and as they will be bespoke to your personal tastes are unlikely to add value equivalent to their cost. In the event of adding extra bedrooms or an extension, the same is true - how can that possibly add more than their base cost when any potential buyer would have been able to do the same thing themselves? Given that you borrowed money [and are therefore paying interest] to make improvements I would expect your [or anybody's] position on such improvements to end in a net loss rather than a gain. I am not here to gloat or make light of anyone's misfortune but "borrowing money to make home improvements that add value" is one of the reasons we are in the hole we are [all] in and is a total misnoma sold over the last decade by property TV.

I wonder how long this Mexican stand off on property is going to last - my gut feel is that there is no intention of raising rates for a very, very long time and we are in for that 'lost decade'. I have done myself a useful graph which tracks 4 main indecies (Rightmove, NW, Halifax and Land Reg) and then discounts them for inflation. According to my chart, real house prices are the same as they were in the early part of 2003 (using LR data). If real prices get back to 1997/8 type levels in real terms then that cant be a bad time to bite the bullet. Long way to get there tho as there was significant constant growth in prices between 1998 and 2003. My chart also shows that would-be sellers remain deluded - The RM index remains pretty much flat at peak since 2007 whilst all other indicators are dropping away - asking prices are not going anywhere whilst the few transactions that are occouring are at a significant discount..

HOLA4419

I couldn't resist wading in.....

Nick Hales Nikki - apologies to wade into this one but you seem to have fallen into another classic trap..."borrowed extra money for home improvements which have added value"... how can installing, say, a new bathroom or kitchen possibly ever add more value than what it cost to install? If anything, such "improvements" depreciate over their useful life and as they will be bespoke to your personal tastes are unlikely to add value equivalent to their cost. In the event of adding extra bedrooms or an extension, the same is true - how can that possibly add more than their base cost when any potential buyer would have been able to do the same thing themselves? Given that you borrowed money [and are therefore paying interest] to make improvements I would expect your [or anybody's] position on such improvements to end in a net loss rather than a gain. I am not here to gloat or make light of anyone's misfortune but "borrowing money to make home improvements that add value" is one of the reasons we are in the hole we are [all] in and is a total misnoma sold over the last decade by property TV.

I wonder how long this Mexican stand off on property is going to last - my gut feel is that there is no intention of raising rates for a very, very long time and we are in for that 'lost decade'. I have done myself a useful graph which tracks 4 main indecies (Rightmove, NW, Halifax and Land Reg) and then discounts them for inflation. According to my chart, real house prices are the same as they were in the early part of 2003 (using LR data). If real prices get back to 1997/8 type levels in real terms then that cant be a bad time to bite the bullet. Long way to get there tho as there was significant constant growth in prices between 1998 and 2003. My chart also shows that would-be sellers remain deluded - The RM index remains pretty much flat at peak since 2007 whilst all other indicators are dropping away - asking prices are not going anywhere whilst the few transactions that are occouring are at a significant discount..

care to upload a copy of your graphs?

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

jeez.. they have, i just went to look - i think that whole thread has been deleted...

I was going to follow up by asking what they would make of the following advert on e-bay:

"White porecelain bathroom suite - 2 years old but still as new condition. Cost when new £8,000. Buy-it-now price £12,000".............

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

jeez.. they have, i just went to look - i think that whole thread has been deleted...

I was going to follow up by asking what they would make of the following advert on e-bay:

"White porecelain bathroom suite - 2 years old but still as new condition. Cost when new £8,000. Buy-it-now price £12,000".............

What you were saying is too confusing for them anyway, and you made a graph? Totally alien to them, here is what their collective response would have been so you don't miss out on it :

"I haven't done a graph since my gcses that i failed lol, not that it mattered I am rich now cos I got a house in 2007 for 400k, 125% mortgage lol, bet you don't have 600k like i do cos that's what my house is worth now lol, estate agent told me, haha I'm so rich lol, now if only the banks would lend like they should and i get a ftb I could afford to buy food lol"