House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SarahBell

What Would Your Perfect Housing Epetition Be?

After seeing the debate on the "sign the epetition" thread, what would your perfect version be?

I'd request the government to look at ways that housing can be genuinely affordable for both renters and buyers. For housing to be seen as a place to live not an financial investment or a cash machine.

I would like more social housing to be built and for private landlords who fall below standards to have their properties removed from them.

Human rights version:

http://www.pdhre.org/rights/housing.html

The human right to adequate shelter.

The human right to an adequate standard of living.

The human right to access to safe drinking water and sanitation.

The human right to the highest attainable standard of physical and mental health.

The human right to a safe and healthy environment.

The human right of the child to an environment appropriate for physical and mental development.

The human right to access to resources, including energy for cooking, heating, and lighting.

The human right of access to basic services, schools, transportation and employment options.

The human right to affordability in housing so that other basic needs are not threatened or compromised.

The human right to freedom from discrimination in access to housing and related services based on sex, race, or any other status.

The human right to choose one's residence, to determine where and how to live and to freedom of movement.

The human right to freedom from arbitrary interference with one's privacy, family or home.

The human right to security, including legal security of tenure.

The human right to protection from forced evictions and the destruction or demolition of one's home including in situations of military occupation, international and civil armed conflict, establishment and construction of alien settlements, population transfer, and development projects.

The human right to equal protection of the law and judicial remedies for the redress of violations of the human right to adequate housing.

I don't think you need to create so many rights. It's granting too many rights that has got us to where we are. Granting rights to banks to QE and to off load debt and granting rights to the BoE to take people's money through inflation. Maybe.

Fundamental rights are enough to have avoided this situation I would say and it was the superfluous rights for the rich/stupid that have screwed us over

Edited by cica

Stop interfering; housing benefit to be rolled into universal benefit, SMI stopped. Planning restrictions lifted to an extent.

The human right to security, including legal security of tenure.

Look, we've had that before and all that happens is that no-one, excepts slumlords wants to be a LL and there is no property to rent that you would want to live in.

It doesn't work

tim

There is ? How do I find it ?

From the petitions front page, go to the departmental breakdown. Select those for the Treasury. It's on the second page in - Low Savings Rates.

There's some other good 'uns in there too:

RealistBear for Prime Minister, TMT for Welsh Secretary, General Congreve as Chancellor, Erranta to head-up Homeland Security...

From the petitions front page, go to the departmental breakdown. Select those for the Treasury. It's on the second page in - Low Savings Rates.

There's some other good 'uns in there too:

RealistBear for Prime Minister, TMT for Welsh Secretary, General Congreve as Chancellor, Erranta to head-up Homeland Security...

Id just like to see the govt working more with developers and banks to provide more innovative and greater lending solutions

Edited by Mary Cassatt

Mine would be:

Self certification mortgages have become known as 'Liar Loans' as it is generally accepted that borrowers lied about their income to obtain loans higher than their income would normally support. This helped house prices to become more unaffordable. Disciplined buyers were priced-out as dishonest buyers pushed prices above sensible lending limits.

In other words, mass scale fraud has been committed. I want to live in a civilised country, which means complying with the laws of the nation.

I petition that all self certification loans are investigated, and where fraud has occurred, the borrower is summonsed and bought to justice.

EDIT

I sent this to my MP some time ago but never got a response, so presumably the government are not bothered that mass fraud has occurred.

Edited by LetsGetReadyToTumble

I petition that all self certification loans are investigated, and where fraud has occurred, the borrower is summonsed and bought to justice.

And the house confiscated and auctioned, obviously...

Mine would be:

Self certification mortgages have become known as 'Liar Loans' as it is generally accepted that borrowers lied about their income to obtain loans higher than their income would normally support. This helped house prices to become more unaffordable. Disciplined buyers were priced-out as dishonest buyers pushed prices above sensible lending limits.

In other words, mass scale fraud has been committed. I want to live in a civilised country, which means complying with the laws of the nation.

EDIT

I sent this to my MP some time ago but never got a response, so presumably the government are not bothered that mass fraud has occurred.

You speak as if non income verified mortgages are a thing of the past.

Latest FSA figures

Including lifetime mortgages:

Q1 2010: 42.60%

Q2 2010: 37.38%

Q3 2010: 32.44%

Q4 2010: 30.10%

Q1 2011: 30.40%

Q2 2011: 29.26%

Excluding lifetime mortgages:

Q1 2010: 41.24%

Q2 2010: 36.08%

Q3 2010: 31.05%

Q4 2010: 28.56%

Q1 2011: 28.79%

Q2 2011: 27.91%

In 2007 5 out of 10 mortgages were not income verified now it is 3 out of 10, when it should be 0.

I'd quite like a parallel petition:

'Inquiry into endemic mortgage fraud: It has been alleged that mortgage fraud, particularly involving misstated incomes and self-certification mortgages, has contributed significantly to current financial crisis. By increasing the cost of housing, and therefore the cost of living, this mortgage fraud has potentially created millions of innocent victims across the UK.

The government should investigate and, in particular, it should attempt to explain the lack of a police investigation into these allegations.

In light of the recent mass prosecution of rioters, similar treatment should be considered for anyone found to have engaged in criminal activity.

In future, income stated for mortgage purposes should be cross-checked against income declared for tax purposes'

Even if it is ignored, a popular petition calling for such an investigation might put the wind up a few people.