House Price Crash Forum

Councils Expanding Cctv Parking Tickets?

HOLA441

I presume these are able to generate more parking tickets than those generated by actual traffic wardens.

Although to make up the town hall blackholes they are going to have issue quite a lot of tickets.

They should rename them Council Pension Meters.

Daughter-in-law's mother has a free parking pass because she worked for the council for 20 years before retiring.

HOLA442

And cars. Regulation and fuss is pushing everything back towards this as the optimal life style choice:

Adam-nEve.jpg

Going off-topic slightly... you saying that "freedom to feel up a bird's tits at will" is an optimal life style choice?

If yes, then I can't really disagree with you ;)

HOLA443

Going off-topic slightly... you saying that "freedom to feel up a bird's tits at will" is an optimal life style choice?

If yes, then I can't really disagree with you ;)

No, I think he is under the mistaken belief that breast milk is adequate sustenance therefore no need to go shopping. Oh, and leaves are perfect loin cloths, so ditto.

HOLA444

A law lacking common sense is framed to criminalise the basically law-abiding. People end up giving up so business and the community suffer.

Yes. + whatever. Times 1000.

'Criminalise' is a key word here. Because parking offences were decriminalised some years ago. There is no law.

Parking is not a crime, but you can certainly be punished. And if you contest a parking fine, two things become clear. You are convicted by a so-called court. (There's just one in the whole of England for all UK parking 'offences'. It is called a. 'Her Majesty's Court' but you cannot appear or make any normal legal representation. It all works by kangaroo court computer in Northampton.

Because parking is 'not a crime', you incur a debt to the local council. That is policed, at no cost to the council, by bailiffs, who work on incentive schemes. (And rarely stay inside the law either.) As do the 'civil enforcement officers' . . . who are fairly ugly pigs but not police.

Overstaying ten minutes in a council car park can cost you £300 if you contest the fine. (I did.)

There are many defences in law, such as 'unjustified enrichment'. (Of council pension funds.) And in law, you could claim the British precedent of proportionality . . . £300 fine for ten minutes? But this is the cynical part . . . parking isn't a crime. So you have no defence in normal law. Simply stopping anywhere implies a debt to the council.

How do they get away with it? First, by never publishing their T&C's in council parking space. (That's contestable in law too. ) Even cowboy clampers put up a sign, but cowboy councils no. Otherwise no one would park ever in the first place.

Secondly, and mostly, because cowboy councils have the full support of Government. I spent a year writing to my MP who could not argue a case - actually, would not respond to a single point, but did nothing. Councils get their money through a scandalous, paralegal system. And it's killed our local high street stone dead.

But don't start me talkin' . . . .

HOLA445

I only visit the town that provides a free car park for all.....I will not pay to park unless I have to like a hospital car park, out of principal, council tax is their lot, no extras......so half the time I take the bus, the return bus fare cost less than some of the town car parks and the views from the top deck throw a new light on an area you thought you knew well but never seen before. ;)

HOLA446
HOLA447

Yes. + whatever. Times 1000.

'Criminalise' is a key word here. Because parking offences were decriminalised some years ago. There is no law.

Parking is not a crime, but you can certainly be punished. And if you contest a parking fine, two things become clear. You are convicted by a so-called court. (There's just one in the whole of England for all UK parking 'offences'. It is called a. 'Her Majesty's Court' but you cannot appear or make any normal legal representation. It all works by kangaroo court computer in Northampton.

Tosh. There are many levels of appeal against a penalty charge. There's a lot of mistakes a council can make (and often do) that result in a ticket being ripped up. There are whole websites helping people through this process.

Because parking is 'not a crime', you incur a debt to the local council. That is policed, at no cost to the council, by bailiffs, who work on incentive schemes. (And rarely stay inside the law either.) As do the 'civil enforcement officers' . . . who are fairly ugly pigs but not police.

The council may use contractors for enforcement or may employ directly. But either way, it ain't free.

Overstaying ten minutes in a council car park can cost you £300 if you contest the fine. (I did.)

There are many defences in law, such as 'unjustified enrichment'. (Of council pension funds.) And in law, you could claim the British precedent of proportionality . . . £300 fine for ten minutes? But this is the cynical part . . . parking isn't a crime. So you have no defence in normal law. Simply stopping anywhere implies a debt to the council.

How do they get away with it? First, by never publishing their T&C's in council parking space. (That's contestable in law too. ) Even cowboy clampers put up a sign, but cowboy councils no. Otherwise no one would park ever in the first place.

The same rules apply to a taxpayer owned and operated off road car park as for any operator.

HOLA448

My Council are so devious they are beyond contempt.

Bank Holiday Mondays when motorists presume it is Sunday parking they send out a CCTV smart car and their new Ford Fiesta enforcement car and in restricted parking roads they have a field day, saw them do 8 cars in 5 minutes. Then off to ( I followed them ) to roads where parking is restricted between 10-30am to 11-30am weekdays to stop commuters parking all day and another 5 cars done.

Decided to catch the sly sneaky git, parked further down the road with my bonnet up giving the impression I had broken down, up he comes with his smart car behind me with the camera swivelling toward my rear number plate, jumped out with my camcorder filming my bonnet up and his smart car in the frame, time and date showing, yes I did receive a ticket, sent an appeal and the video to the relevant department telling them I would be sending the video to a National Newspaper, never paid the penalty and not heard since. :D

I would love to tell you the story of a mate involved with a horse and cart, such a classic I would require a fee for it to tell you. :lol:

HOLA449

We got a parking ticket in ALDI because we were parked there for just over 2 hours.

Anyway after looking into it you don't need to pay privately issued tickets.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/private-parking-tickets

Basically the parking ticket issuing company needs to prove who the driver is as it is the driver of the car who is issued the ticket, not the car it's self. Anyway just tell them you don't know who was driving and they simply go away. :lol:

Better still ignore their letters completely. It might look official but you are under no obligation legal or otherwise to respond to it. The crux of their argument is a civil case against the DRIVER of the vehicle on the day. They rely on you contesting the ticket/circumstances which gives them all they need identity wise to bring a civil case if you refuse their extortion attempts.

Quite simply if they cannot identify the driver they have no case.

Pepipoo is the kiddie for all this sort of stuff.

HOLA4410

Can't really say I understand what you're trying to say there.

The point I am making is that the problems with parking are the same problems we have with all land.

Some parking is privately owned, like some houses. Of this, some gets rented out by the likes of NCP who are the BTLers of the parking world.

Some parking is leased by the council. This is essentially a land-value tax.

The rest is unowned.

As an advocate for the idea that all land should be unowned, I am often accused of being naive or a communist.

Apparently land must be owned or else we'll form violent street gangs and try to rape each other to death in bloody land grabs. This is often accompanied with an angry 'I'll kill anyone who walks on my land'.

Yet a great deal of parking land is free for use by anyone, and we don't, in general, go around killing each other for a space. We actually share.

The next most common response is some nonsense about burglary, or some threat to burgle my house the second the government stops enforcing land claims. But breaking into a car is just as illegal as breaking into a house, even if I don't own the land that my car stands upon. No-one finds this idea strange or radical.

The naive idea that we can live without land ownership, actually works. In the UK, not Somalia. In practice, where we get to choose from the various options, we actually prefer the cooperative use of unowned land to the alternatives.

Then we forget about it and watch homes under the hammer.

HOLA4411

Tosh. There are many levels of appeal against a penalty charge. There's a lot of mistakes a council can make (and often do) that result in a ticket being ripped up. There are whole websites helping people through this process.

Obviously you have never been through this process. Your appeal is based on tick boxes on a form. With very restricted grounds for appeal. You can't get to a court and the council is not even bound to notify you of any appeal. You can further go to a 'Parking Ombudsman' (loaded dice) and if you pursue beyond that to a county court, you are looking at quite a few hundred quid up front.

The council may use contractors for enforcement or may employ directly. But either way, it ain't free.

Equita, most council's bailiffs for parking fine collection, get their revenue entirely from the 'miscreant'. Look up Equita or any council minutes countrywide.

The same rules apply to a taxpayer owned and operated off road car park as for any operator.

No. National Car Parks or any other private operator are not allowed fines anywhere near the scale of councils.

You really are disinformation central.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

I will pick you up on one assumption you have made; "people drive their wallets to the shops". That was the assumption round here until the council did an "access study" and found that only about 40% arrived by car - and this in one of the areas of highest car ownership in the country.

Well, duh. You penalise motorists for driving to the shops downtown, and then you find that they stop driving downtown and drive to the out of town shopping centres instead so the only customers for those downtown shops are now the layabouts who have time to walk or take the bus to get there.

The town where I worked in the UK made a big fuss about the glorious 'pedestrianisation' of the town centre, then ramped up the parking charges, and then the town centre shops mysteriously started closing or being replaced with charity shops. I'm sure there was no connection with deliberately making shopping difficult for the people who had money to spend.