House Price Crash Forum

Councils Expanding Cctv Parking Tickets?

HOLA441

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2026385/Fined-parking-exactly-17-seconds-Spy-cameras-hit-innocent-drivers-tickets-soar-fivefold.html

Persecuted motorists are being handed five times as many parking tickets as they were a decade ago, figures show.

New mobile CCTV cameras are being used to catch drivers who may only have stopped momentarily. One case was based on just 17 seconds of film.

I presume these are able to generate more parking tickets than those generated by actual traffic wardens.

Although to make up the town hall blackholes they are going to have issue quite a lot of tickets.

HOLA442

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2026385/Fined-parking-exactly-17-seconds-Spy-cameras-hit-innocent-drivers-tickets-soar-fivefold.html

I presume these are able to generate more parking tickets than those generated by actual traffic wardens.

Although to make up the town hall blackholes they are going to have issue quite a lot of tickets.

Another reason to avoid town centres.

HOLA443

I wonder how the black market for false number plates is these days?

HOLA444

I wonder how the black market for false number plates is these days?

The problem with false plates is you need to avoid the cop cars with plate recognition technology, you need to also pick a number plates which matches a fully taxed and insured car, plus you also need to avoid the manual check of your tax disc against the fake plates.

HOLA445

We got a parking ticket in ALDI because we were parked there for just over 2 hours.

Anyway after looking into it you don't need to pay privately issued tickets.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/private-parking-tickets

Basically the parking ticket issuing company needs to prove who the driver is as it is the driver of the car who is issued the ticket, not the car it's self. Anyway just tell them you don't know who was driving and they simply go away. :lol:

HOLA446

The problem with false plates is you need to avoid the cop cars with plate recognition technology, you need to also pick a number plates which matches a fully taxed and insured car, plus you also need to avoid the manual check of your tax disc against the fake plates.

I bow to your superior knowledge on this matter :lol:;)

HOLA447
HOLA448

]

We got a parking ticket in ALDI because we were parked there for just over 2 hours.

Anyway after looking into it you don't need to pay privately issued tickets.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/private-parking-tickets

Basically the parking ticket issuing company needs to prove who the driver is as it is the driver of the car who is issued the ticket, not the car it's self. Anyway just tell them you don't know who was driving and they simply go away. :lol:

They need to prove who was driving the car ,who ever isues the ticket

This is also a good site http://web.mac.com/rmbscarb/iWeb/rmbconsulting/Making%20a%20challenge.html

HOLA449

Well we had to go to ALDI and Kwikfit so took 2 cars and left one in ALDI done some shopping whilst waiting for the grease monkeys to repair the other car, when we came back we had overstayed our welcome.

Since this car park never gets more than 1/3 full I guess the only reason they have the camera and penalty's are for money grabbing.

Private parking tickets = waste of time. ;)

HOLA4410

There was an article on this in the local rag. Basically the council bigwigs decided to invest in a £50,000 CCTV car, and in order to recoup their 'investment' they are sent hanging around the high street at cash machines and outside schools snapping people and sending them the bill 'for going about their lives.'

This CCTV car recouped some £40,000 in its first five months!

A council spokesman said: "[the] Council purchased the vehicle in order to address parking at problem areas, where motorist are putting the safety of others at risk and causing unnecessary congestion." (Right ;) )

The car is also used outside schools when issues are raised by parents or teachers. (Mmm! :blink: )

"The Smart car was introduced as a result of complaints from the public, businesses and bus companies, about obstructions in the highway." (Evidence, or is this a cover-all statement?)

This the same council that allowed its wardens to go out at 8:00pm to quiet roads to book people dropping off videos at Blockbuster, or going to see their friends and family perform for a couple of hours at a community theatre.

A law lacking common sense is framed to criminalise the basically law-abiding. People end up giving up so business and the community suffer.

I highlighted the bus companies because where there is a 'traffic issue' you can be sure they are at the heart of it, either they want the road to themselves, or they've had a phone call from someone at the council needing justification.

Life really was so much simpler years ago, the state was of course much smaller... go figure.

HOLA4411

ROI plates should solve most problems. Might even pass a police interrogation provided you say that the car belongs to your friend Mikey O'Flannel from Ballyeighrlloidjvqq who's lent it to you while he's walking across Asia. (You'll need insurance on your "actual" car which entitles you to drive any vehicle so you have a certificate to produce on demand.)

Officer: "And how do you spell Ballyeighrlloidjvqq, Sir?"

You: "Like it sounds."

HOLA4412

It's a fine line between outright persecution and performing a useful service. In many areas, I think that councils crossed it long ago (particularly when combined with dramatic hikes in parking rates and complex restrictions).

However, I have come across a number of 'hotspots' which are big problems for 'short stop' parking. There's a very busy post-office on a main town centre road, very close to cross-road junction. I frequently see people, stop their car in the right-hand lane, jump out, and rush into the post-office or blockbuster with some letters/videos in hand to drop them off. Meanwhile 1 of 3 lanes of the road is blocked, including the right-turn lane which leads onto the main A road to London. Even a 60 second stop causes absolute chaos, backing up traffic onto a complex roundabout system, forcing lane changes, etc. This type of behaviour is troublesome, and some sort of solution for it is needed. I'd quite welcome a CCTV parking-patrol at this site.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

It's a fine line between outright persecution and performing a useful service. In many areas, I think that councils crossed it long ago (particularly when combined with dramatic hikes in parking rates and complex restrictions).

However, I have come across a number of 'hotspots' which are big problems for 'short stop' parking. There's a very busy post-office on a main town centre road, very close to cross-road junction. I frequently see people, stop their car in the right-hand lane, jump out, and rush into the post-office or blockbuster with some letters/videos in hand to drop them off. Meanwhile 1 of 3 lanes of the road is blocked, including the right-turn lane which leads onto the main A road to London. Even a 60 second stop causes absolute chaos, backing up traffic onto a complex roundabout system, forcing lane changes, etc. This type of behaviour is troublesome, and some sort of solution for it is needed. I'd quite welcome a CCTV parking-patrol at this site.

That happens on a street in my joint, except the vehicle blocking the way is err, the postie's van(despite there being a bay around the corner). Every day without fail for about fifteen minutes. Part of the problem is that council's don't act fairly, and will hit individuals ad infinitum before they touch large corporations.

HOLA4415

Parking is just another use of land, and parking charges are just rent.

We have all become accustomed to the idea that most roadside parking is free and isn't owned by anyone.

The councils know, as do many posters here, that this is just idealistic communism. Unless someone owns every piece of land, the country will be overrun by rioting mobs with baseball bats.

We should go further. I should have the right to defend all of my parking spaces, whether I am using them or not, with lethal force.

If you want free parking, then why don't you go and live in Somalia?

HOLA4416

We have all become accustomed to the idea that most roadside parking is free and isn't owned by anyone.

The councils know, as do many posters here, that this is just idealistic communism. Unless someone owns every piece of land, the country will be overrun by rioting mobs with baseball bats.

We should go further. I should have the right to defend all of my parking spaces, whether I am using them or not, with lethal force.

If you want free parking, then why don't you go and live in Somalia?

Can't really say I understand what you're trying to say there.

But if you think you should be entitled to use lethal force then maybe its you who should be going to live in Somalia.

HOLA4417

This is, of course true. People often forget the huge amount of tied up taxpayers' capital that an off road car park represents. In my local small and boring town, I calculated that you need to charge at least £1 an hour just to cover the costs. Any town where land is more valuable (most towns!) than here, then that break even rate will be even higher.

Roadside parking is pretty limited in good locations and will never make much money - even if a council wanted to treat it as a cash-cow to reduce council tax bills. When councils charge for roadside parking, all they're doing is putting in a different rationing system; price rationing rather than queuing (ie congestion).

(Not sure where you were going with the rest of the post re Somalia).

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Harsh punishments is the current public mood.

Going on about councils raising revenue is just making excuses for criminal behaviour. These people are being let off too lighlty with a fine, they should be imprisoned. :)

Its all about responsibility - either it applies to everyone or nobody.

HOLA4420

You're missing the point, the rest of the town has valuable land (and business rates) because people drive their wallets into town to spend money. The 'free' car parking is supporting this value of the land around it. By attempting to 'make' money from parking you are impacting genuine economic activity.

When Tesco/Asda/etc set up an out-of-town shopping area they make plenty of free space available for their customers. Who do you reckon has more business sense - them or the local council? :)

It's not rocket science, but with the high street suffering you would think they would be doing all they could to make it easier to go shopping <_<

Buckers

I hadn't missed this point; I'd assumed it would be next up.

The argument here seems to be for subsidy - albeit with an expectation that there is some greater good that will result (as with all calls for subsidy, I guess). How you respond to a call for subsidy depends on one's position on state planning and tax-and-spend philosophies. Personally, I'm against 'em. If someone wants to park a car - let 'em pay. Equally, the best body to run a car park is NCP not a council (I apply similar arguments to leisure centres, theatres and bus services and all other groups who want someone else to pay for their interest).

I will pick you up on one assumption you have made; "people drive their wallets to the shops". That was the assumption round here until the council did an "access study" and found that only about 40% arrived by car - and this in one of the areas of highest car ownership in the country.

HOLA4421

Was in France last week and was amazed at the lack of CCTV aside from the odd camera here and there. Driving round towns was a pleasure as there was no worry about falling foul of speeding, red light or no-stopping zone cameras. Scary to realise just how many times a day we are recorded going about our daily business in the guise of it being in our best interests.

HOLA4422

your going to see a lot more of this kind of money grabbing as the debt begins to be repaid.

whats cheeses me off is how the wealth was not divided fairly, yet we are all expected to pay.

unless your a big banking player, and your offshore with the loot already.

HOLA4423

Was in France last week and was amazed at the lack of CCTV aside from the odd camera here and there. Driving round towns was a pleasure as there was no worry about falling foul of speeding, red light or no-stopping zone cameras. Scary to realise just how many times a day we are recorded going about our daily business in the guise of it being in our best interests.

yes. france is an excellent place where the people seem to rule, not the other way around.

you can camper-van more or less on any free beach carpark without a yellow jacket demanding payment.

at night around 11pm there are families and kids buggies moving about with the nightclubbers.

there doesnt seem to be the tension like we have here. people seem more normal.

no wonder people get smashed on a friday and saturday, but saying that - was out a couple of weeks ago and it was quite deserted when once it would hve been thronging. pubs with 3 people in and so on.

HOLA4424

France is not all sweetness and light and happy families promenading.

Read this riot related piece http://www.bdonline.co.uk/news/analysis/back-to-normal?/5023012.article (link may or may not avoid registration-wall)

In November 2005 French President Jacques Chirac welcomed back normality, after weeks of riots in the French banlieues. Instead of 1,000 to 1,500 vehicles being burnt every night, it went back to 163, and then kept to the normal 50 to 150. Every night of the year dozens of cars are being set on fire in the French banlieues and this had been going on for years on end.

HOLA4425

France is not all sweetness and light and happy families promenading.

Read this riot related piece http://www.bdonline.co.uk/news/analysis/back-to-normal?/5023012.article (link may or may not avoid registration-wall)

Are you sure people are setting the cars on fire? You're talking Renaults, Citroens & Peugeots, I think these cars just tend to spontaneously combust... :D