House Price Crash Forum

I'm Getting Pop-Ups In French On Hpc

Snugglybear

HOLA441
HOLA442

Many of the pop-ups that, er, pop up on HPC forum pages are now in French.

It's not a problem, as I understand French. My point is, how does the computer know that?

Pop-ups? How very annoying. Don't you block them?

(I'm not anti-advertisement, but I have a low tolerance of ads that get in the way and/or move).

The ad broker has tracked you from somewhere indicating your francophilia! :ph34r:

HOLA443
HOLA444

It's Google, you must have searched for something in French and it has stored that against your cookie or IP address.

Remedy, block Google using Ghostery or some other similar ad blocker.

HOLA445
Guest tbatst2000

Many of the pop-ups that, er, pop up on HPC forum pages are now in French.

It's not a problem, as I understand French. My point is, how does the computer know that?

Assuming you're actually in a French speaking location (e.g. France), the it's easy enough for the ad company to figure that out from your IP address (the internet sort of equivalent of a telephone number) and then show adverts in the appropriate language. There's loads of companies maintain databases of this stuff. E.g. http://www.ip2location.com/

HOLA446

Assuming you're actually in a French speaking location (e.g. France), the it's easy enough for the ad company to figure that out from your IP address (the internet sort of equivalent of a telephone number) and then show adverts in the appropriate language. There's loads of companies maintain databases of this stuff. E.g. http://www.ip2location.com/

And routinely get it wrong: I'd've been rather lost if they'd given me Russian just because geoip had some strange idea my IP was in Moscow! And that's just a home IP, not like the folks I used to know in Rome whose IP put them in Sweden because they came through Ericssons network ...

There's a right way to select what language to speak to website visitors: you get it from their browser preferences.

HOLA447
Guest tbatst2000

There's a right way to select what language to speak to website visitors: you get it from their browser preferences.

Totally agreed, doesn't stop them doing it though...

HOLA448
HOLA449

Some IP locations can be moved around making it hard to pinpoint exact locations, saying that on Virgin I tracked someone down to within a few streets of their IP location so its not hard.

Creepy stalker! :lol::o

HOLA4410

:She was a lawyer as well. Women like their brains to be stimulated as well. :D

What absolute tripe

There's only one thing women like stimulated, and I can never find it! ;):huh:

Archived