House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ravedave

Moving Out Of A Houseshare

Firstly, does the tenancy deposit scheme apply for a houseshare (live-out landlord)?

Secondly, is it now mandatory for landlords to use this scheme? I am in Northern Ireland - does it still apply?

Thirdly, my landlord has not supplied smoke alarms or a CO2 monitor to the household. Is this a major breech of his duty?

He is threatening to withhold part of my deposit as the notice I have given him is just under two weeks short of what was in the contract. Which is a fair kop, but the way it was worded to me has irritated me as I have been a clean and respectful tenant all through my contract.

Edit: I should also note that I am now in the rolling month by month phase of the contract.

Answers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Edited by ravedave

I don't believe he has used any TPS. I've checked all that I am aware of and my details are not logged according to the search facilities.

Under the contract he requires one months notice. However, I am hoping that this will not be an issue. The reason I asked to move out was because my new place is available immediately. Secondly, with the universities now coming back, this is the best time to advertise for a roomo - I figured I was doing him a favour by moving out now. If I left in November time with 1 months notice he would not rent the room out for months.

Previous rooms in the property have been idle for 3 - 5 months.

If he threatened to withhold some of my deposit I was going to suggest that he failed in his side of the deal by not protecting my deposit and not providing smoke/fire/CO2 alarms in the property.

I don't believe he has used any TPS. I've checked all that I am aware of and my details are not logged according to the search facilities.

Under the contract he requires one months notice. However, I am hoping that this will not be an issue. The reason I asked to move out was because my new place is available immediately. Secondly, with the universities now coming back, this is the best time to advertise for a roomo - I figured I was doing him a favour by moving out now. If I left in November time with 1 months notice he would not rent the room out for months.

Previous rooms in the property have been idle for 3 - 5 months.

If he threatened to withhold some of my deposit I was going to suggest that he failed in his side of the deal by not protecting my deposit and not providing smoke/fire/CO2 alarms in the property.

Not sure the TDS operates in NI, the latest I could find was this

http://www.citizensadvice.co.uk/en/news/Press-Releases/CAB-reinforces-the-need-for-Tenancy-Deposit-Scheme/

most other links bemoaning the lack of TDS in Scotland and NI but seemed old so I'm not sure. If it is the case that the TDS does not operate in NI the best you can do is tell hime that the lack of health and safety (fire/...) provision could lead you to bring the matter up with the relevent authorities and that the cost of fitting wired fire alarms and fire doors would not be small and that it may be in his best interests to let your deposit go :)

Edit for:every thing in life can be negotiated

Edited by zebbedee