House Price Crash Forum
tonification

Exchange Traded Oil Securities

I've not seen the subject of oil securities here. For example, the new BRENT OIL SECURITIES (OILB on London Stock Exchange) allows you to buy 1 share equal to a barrel of oil. This is essentially the same system Gold Bullion Securities (GBS) where 1 share is 1/10th Oz gold.

Could these be a better long term bet than gold as supplies inevitably diminish? :unsure:

I've not seen the subject of oil securities here. For example, the new BRENT OIL SECURITIES (OILB on London Stock Exchange) allows you to buy 1 share equal to a barrel of oil. This is essentially the same system Gold Bullion Securities (GBS) where 1 share is 1/10th Oz gold.

Could these be a better long term bet than gold as supplies inevitably diminish? :unsure:

This posting got no response back October. I've begun to wonder about OILB too. So any experience or views, especially about wheter this is a good time to buy?

It's a RISKY time to buy. Oil could go either way. There's quite a bit of new supply coming online over the next 21 months or so and of course if the economy were to weaken as many on this site suggest then that will at least slow demand growth. So short term a price drop is quite possible. Long term the supply situation looks dire so unless demand collapses it seems that oil ought to rise in price. A depression would collapse (10%+) demand...

Short term there's Iran. If it's exports stop then world demand simply can not be met so prices ought to rise. Your guess is as good as mine in terms of how likely a war with Iran is.

I read an article recently, may even have been on here saying that you'd be better investing in oil refiners and retailers than Oil directly as the downsides are potentially much less on companies than on the commodity itself. I'll see if I can find it. It was pretty interesting.