House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Shotoflight

Trust Me, I'm An Estate Agent

A group of high-end estate agents in west London have admitted a parking permit scam investigators fear may have cost the taxpayer thousands.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-14530059

Westminster Council estimates using residents' parking permits instead of pay-and-display while taking clients to viewings could save each agent £10,000 per year.

But magistrates were powerless to apply a harsher penalty because of sentencing guidelines

On its website, the estate agent claims to operate with the highest ethical standards.

Under the heading 'trust me, I'm an estate agent', the firm claims to be "totally honest and transparent".

The article continues: "Building trust from the moment someone comes into a shop or we step over the threshold of someone's home is vital and that comes with high standards."

The case is believed to be the tip of the iceberg - with the fraud thought to be widespread among London estate agents.

Edited by Shotoflight

A group of high-end estate agents in west London have admitted a parking permit scam investigators fear may have cost the taxpayer thousands.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-14530059

Westminster Council estimates using residents' parking permits instead of pay-and-display while taking clients to viewings could save each agent £10,000 per year.

But magistrates were powerless to apply a harsher penalty because of sentencing guidelines

On its website, the estate agent claims to operate with the highest ethical standards.

Under the heading 'trust me, I'm an estate agent', the firm claims to be "totally honest and transparent".

The article continues: "Building trust from the moment someone comes into a shop or we step over the threshold of someone's home is vital and that comes with high standards."

The case is believed to be the tip of the iceberg - with the fraud thought to be widespread among London estate agents.

I don't see how the council can claim that they have lost 10K.

The EA's that show me around places with P&D outside just park and take a chance. They are only there for a few minutes so almost never get a ticket.

tim

I don't see how the council can claim that they have lost 10K.

The EA's that show me around places with P&D outside just park and take a chance. They are only there for a few minutes so almost never get a ticket.

tim

Pay and display costs from Parkopedia seem to be about £1 for an hour, so £10k seems pretty OTT as you say, especially since it seems a monthly pass can be bought for a couple of hundred quid. I guess the actual loss is a small fraction of that claimed by the council, which might be connected to the levels of fines handed out.

Edited by cheeznbreed

Pay and display costs from Parkopedia seem to be about £1 for an hour, so £10k seems pretty OTT as you say, especially since it seems a monthly pass can be bought for a couple of hundred quid. I guess the actual loss is a small fraction of that claimed by the council, which might be connected to the levels of fines handed out.

Westminster is 4.40 per hour.

I can't find any type of pass available except for the residents one that they abused and one for visiting trades-people which is up to 35 pounds a day.

tim

Edited by tim123

Make an example of them.

Lengthy prison sentences should have been handed out.

Looting the public coffers.

+1

I thought the same.

But then looting by breaking windows is completely different. This is theft through sneaky underhand and illegal misdeeds. So they should be allowed to get away with it.

Tut tut EA's. It's not just the underclass who have a completely f*cked up moral compass now is it.

The church has been harping on about it the last few days, moral corruption throughout society and not just the plebs. I'm not a church goer but I have to say they are right on the mark.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/aug/15/cameron-miliband-head-head-riots

Duncan Smith said the government would begin "harassing" gang leaders, suggesting dusk to dawn curfews, daily visits and a trawl of their lives and finances to pick up minor infringements.

He suggested gang members possibly should receive a knock on the door once a day from the police and arms of government such as the TV licensing offices, tax authorities and DVLA.

It's time for Duncan Smith (aka The Gangstzar) to include such parking infringing estate agent gangs on his list - to reclaim taxpayers money.