House Price Crash Forum

Traditional 60-Watt Bulbs Banned By Eu

Pole

HOLA441

I have an embarrasingly large stockpile of CFL bulbs, bought when Tesco were selling them at a subsidised 10p each. I don't know what to do with them now that even-more-efficient LED lamps are taking over. Does anyone know what the shelf life of an unused CFL bulb is, and how many you can store before the total amount of mercury becomes a legal problem?

I warehouse them in the tens of thousands and have never concerned myself with either issue. Stock turnover on the more obscure types is slow and I doubt any effort is made to rotate stock unless there is a packaging change..

LED seems to not be being embraced that strongly at the moment. Manufacturers are constantly doing deals on surplus stock of them, quality branded stuff to not junk no-ones heard of. Although you have to watch it even with some of the big brand names slap labels on all sorts of random junk and these days there aren't as many different actual manufacturers as you might think.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

So how are the stockpilers getting on? Is everyone reconciled to the new bulbs yet?

Still using the traditional ones!

I keep buying them from Poland where they're not banned at all and available in every shop.

I think the Polish importers stick a 'safety' label on them or something, and that shuts the EU bureaucrats down.

In fact most of these new EU rules can be overcome, if you put your mind to it. No longer a problem for me.

HOLA443
HOLA444

I spent £50 replacing all my halogen downlighters with LED's and there has been a noticeable drop in my electricity usage. as my normal bulbs pop I'm also replacing them with LED's.

Haven't had to replace a LED bulb yet.

Energy saving bulbs are history.

HOLA445

Still using the traditional ones!

I keep buying them from Poland where they're not banned at all and available in every shop.

I think the Polish importers stick a 'safety' label on them or something, and that shuts the EU bureaucrats down.

In fact most of these new EU rules can be overcome, if you put your mind to it. No longer a problem for me.

Sounds like the "rough use" ones. The filaments seem to have more support. They're easy enough to get hold of in the UK (the local Spar before I moved always seemed to have a few, albeit pricey), so I bought a few when I needed them. It's mostly LEDs for me now (or halogens in some of the light fittings that take candle bulbs, although I believe you can get some decent candle LEDs now). The house I moved in to was full of CFLs, which I got rid of pretty quickly because they're hopeless, and now I've got a pile of them I don't want and don't know what to do with.

I probably shouldn't be surprised at the post up thread that said that LEDs aren't selling as quickly as possible. The one time someone actually comes up with a decent new technology that I like no-one else appears to bother :)

HOLA446

I got a massive pile of 60w and 100w bulbs from the local sparkie who had a contract with the local housing association to replace all the bulbs with CFLs... He just wanted rid so gave them away.

The often used bulbs in the house are all LEDs now, so I've got quite a few left...

HOLA447

Sounds like the "rough use" ones. The filaments seem to have more support. They're easy enough to get hold of in the UK (the local Spar before I moved always seemed to have a few, albeit pricey), so I bought a few when I needed them. It's mostly LEDs for me now (or halogens in some of the light fittings that take candle bulbs, although I believe you can get some decent candle LEDs now). The house I moved in to was full of CFLs, which I got rid of pretty quickly because they're hopeless, and now I've got a pile of them I don't want and don't know what to do with.

I probably shouldn't be surprised at the post up thread that said that LEDs aren't selling as quickly as possible. The one time someone actually comes up with a decent new technology that I like no-one else appears to bother :)

I just like the quality/tone of light of the old light bulbs. It makes me feel nice and warm inside!

It sort of feels 'analogue'. Just feels right.

The LED light feels somewhat synthetic to me.

Plus, I'm certain that by 2050 (at the earliest), those who live their lives under the LED bulbs will eventually turn into zombies.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Which is why you're not supposed to allow horses up your bottom either.

I was brought up on a farm! :huh:

Archived