House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pole

Traditional 60-Watt Bulbs Banned By Eu

...and all of a sudden the cost of the 'new' bulbs goes up. :angry:

Energy-saving light bulbs leap in price (Telegraph Link)

I've tried all types of those new bulbs and still get massive headaches... I don't think they are any good and most of my friends seem to be in agreement with me.

I'm just waiting for the EU to ban traditional cars and motorbikes. Will they also ban gas cookers or gas combi-boilers?

We've still got 150W, 100W and 60W 'traditional' bulbs for sale. (60p a bulb for the 100W and 60W).

As far as I understand it, the law was that manufacturing had to cease by the date given and stock already in the country could be sold until it's gone, so we stocked up on the 150W bulbs.

As Solitaire says, Rough Service bulbs will still be available and we have these in 60W and 100W, and I imagine we will for a long time yet.

A lot of people have been stocking up. 1 guy bought so many bulbs from me that he estimates they will last him 150 years. Forget the house, his stockpile of 'proper lightbulbs' is what the kids will fight over at the reading of his will.

I've stocked up on horses, this new fangled motor car will never catch on.

Jesus people we al now getting the 2nd generation led lights (see philips enduraled) , time moves on.

I've stocked up on horses, this new fangled motor car will never catch on.

However, you can still buy and ride a horse. What would you say if riding horses was banned by the EU?

I've used the LED bulbs and the light is of a very strange quality in my opinion. It's like the sugar vs. sweetener debate. Some can't tell the difference - I can.

Modern rarely means better.

Pssst

Oi mush

Wanna buy some candles?

Purest beeswax, no rubbish, can get you gas mantles too, easy, just say the word

What annoys me is being told I can't choose. I happen to like the low energy flourescent bulbs. That should be my choice not the dictat of a foreign bureaucracy that I didn't vote for.

For consumers, the price of a Philips 11-watt CFL at Argos has risen from £3.99 in September 2009 to £4.99 last week, a rise of 25 per cent. At Sainsbury's, the cheapest energy-saving bulb is now £2, up from £1.21 for the same bulb two years ago – a rise of 65 per cent.

Good God. For some, buying a light bulb now means doing without a loaf of bread.

We've still got 150W, 100W and 60W 'traditional' bulbs for sale. (60p a bulb for the 100W and 60W).

60p for 60 Watt and they've not been banned yet? I was hoping they were still cheaper since I've not got around to getting my 60W stockpile (and I left it too late for 100W, much to my annoyance). It wouldn't be a problem if "energy saving" bulbs weren't crap. If we're going to have bans they should've waited until LED lighting of a suitable colour and brightness is available. That's the future, not slowly-brightening glowworm tails that never reach the level they are supposed to be the equivalent of.

Just a small point,but it is not just the EU, but a large part of the rest of the world that has or is banning these bulbs.

So if you feel so strongly about it avoid places like Australia, New Zealand, Canada and the ban is also coming to the good old USA very soon.

Think you might be all right in China or parts of Africa.

Prices quoted are way out as i bought a couple of Philips 11-watt CFL bulbs at the local market for £1.60 each and stall holder said they were coming down in price 30p in the last month his price has fallen.

A lot of people have been stocking up. 1 guy bought so many bulbs from me that he estimates they will last him 150 years. Forget the house, his stockpile of 'proper lightbulbs' is what the kids will fight over at the reading of his will.

I've got 5,000 gas mantles in the loft. This electricity nonsense will never catch on.

I've got 5,000 gas mantles in the loft. This electricity nonsense will never catch on.

You're missing the point (as many posters on this topic).

This issue is not about which source of light is better.

This debate is about the fact that the governments of the EU Commision know better that new bulbs are better for you. They don't give you the choice.

It's like banning vinyl records because the government knows better that CDs are superior... Nonsense...

Next time you go to a nice restaurant ask the waiter to replace all the candles on your table with CFL bulbs! :P

What exactly is a Rough Service bulb?

I see that Maplin sell them, which ties in with the "rough service" part.

Nice that they give you cancer too.

And at no extra cost!

Some people just don't appreciate a bargain when they see one.

You're missing the point (as many posters on this topic).

This issue is not about which source of light is better.

This debate is about the fact that the governments of the EU Commision know better that new bulbs are better for you. They don't give you the choice.

It's like banning vinyl records because the government knows better that CDs are superior... Nonsense...

Next time you go to a nice restaurant ask the waiter to replace all the candles on your table with CFL bulbs! :P

Political expediency.

Increasing energy taxation while cushioning the poor would be the obvious way to efficiently reduce energy consumption without curtailing freedoms, but politicians shy away from having their names associated with tax increases. Banning is a poor and inefficient second best, but can at least be implemented.

What about the Halogen spot lights?

get rid of them, i have 10 in my kitchen (its how i moved in and its rented), all on one switch, even though they are 50w each, because the cast of light is narrow you need 10 to get the same spread as 1 "old" bulb.

and they are all on one switch, so that 500w of electricity, when 1 100w buld would be suffieient.

thought about chaning them to LED, but the purchase cost is too high at the mo.

What exactly is a Rough Service bulb?

I see that Maplin sell them, which ties in with the "rough service" part.

Anywhere where they're likely to get battered about a bit I think, so perhaps down a mine or in a heavy industry environment.

the ban is also coming to the good old USA very soon.

Under what powers? I thought the appeal court stopped the Obammunists from forcing socialized medicine on us?

Where in the Constitution does it say we have to buy our bulbs from the president's campaign donors?

If you sit 30cm away for about 5000 years :rolleyes:

Ironically to what you've just written, introducing CFLs is the best example of short-termism.

Fluorescent bulbs use mercury vapor which is very toxic if the bulb is broken. So, CFL bulbs which have reached the end of their life should not be disposed of in normal trash, as this will release the mercury.

Most people will chuck them in the normal bin. :huh:

Let's face it. How many local companies make those CFL bulbs in the UK at the moment? Oh no, I forgot, they are made in China by one global company and then shipped to Europe. Wow! Such a green product! :blink:

Ironically to what you've just written, introducing CFLs is the best example of short-termism.

Fluorescent bulbs use mercury vapor which is very toxic if the bulb is broken. So, CFL bulbs which have reached the end of their life should not be disposed of in normal trash, as this will release the mercury.

Most people will chuck them in the normal bin. :huh:

Let's face it. How many local companies make those CFL bulbs in the UK at the moment? Oh no, I forgot, they are made in China by one global company and then shipped to Europe. Wow! Such a green product! :blink:

They do contain mercury that is known. However what they save in Mercury emissions far exceeds any coincidential losses from broken bulbs. Given the choice of CFL's or living downwind of Belchatow I know where Id rather be. ;)

One global company - don't talk piffle there are numerous manufacturers - Philips, Osram, GE to name but a few.