House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

Fears That Riot-Hit Retailers Face Spiral Of Decline

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2011/aug/14/riots-could-hit-retail-sector-warn-business-leaders

Senior business leaders have warned that last week's riots could send some of Britain's most troubled high streets into a downward spiral if traumatised shopkeepers decide to walk away.

Hundreds of stores were looted and in some cases destroyed by fire during the spree of violence and theft that insurers say will cost £200m to mop up.

The boarded-up windows on Queensway, a usually smart parade of shops in north London, told their own depressing story of the riot that swept through the area last Monday. A small florist, a Starbucks and an unassuming branch of Maplin are among the stores to have had their windows smashed and shelves ransacked.

Vin Vara, one of the shopkeepers who kept vigil in his shop, is facing a bill for more than £4,000 to replace his DIY store's windows. The Tool Shop's shelves of bolt cutters, hammers and white spirit must have seemed like the perfect weapons arsenal for the looters.

"Our windows are reinforced glass so they shattered but didn't break," says Vara, who along with his partner Jay Patel survived the Brixton riots in the 1980s. Last week the pair had the foresight to hire three vans, load them up with stock and park them in an underground car park until the storm passed.

The entrepreneurs, who own 10 shops, say their repair firm is asking for payment up front, a demand any retailer already struggling in the downturn will find hard to meet. Patel said a new shopfront costs £12,000 to £15,000:

I wonder how many shops will close after this? Will this turn into a nightmare for landlords and then the banks?

Will this turn into a nightmare for landlords and then the banks?

Interesting how you distance yourself from it as if it is only a problem for them.

You are going to pay for it via increased insurance payments, less competition between retailers means those that survive can charge more, banks..... well... they have you by the balls.

Interesting how you distance yourself from it as if it is only a problem for them.

You are going to pay for it via increased insurance payments, less competition between retailers means those that survive can charge more, banks..... well... they have you by the balls.

Believe me I wish I could distance myself from this. Does anyone know how much of the high street HBoS and RBS are in for?

It would be interesting to know how much of the UK high street the UK taxpayers will have overpaid for.

I don't think shops have the pricing power these days, so no, you won't pay for this one

Yes - even more local economy cash sucked out - as Big Business Supermarkets and National CHAINS like B&Q take up punters cash to be sent back to The Chain's tax avoiding remote headquarters!

It has really brought it home to me this week why any of us bother working or setting up businesses when you read about people getting 30K on benefits, and then whinging they are not getting enough so they need to riot.

Walk away from the high street, more of us should walk away from the country.

I wish I lived in your world instead of mine.

I'll take that as meaning you have run out of arguments

It has really brought it home to me this week why any of us bother working or setting up businesses when you read about people getting 30K on benefits, and then whinging they are not getting enough so they need to riot.

Walk away from the high street, more of us should walk away from the country.

How many White famillies in the UK with 10 children?

How many famillies do you personally know with 10 kids?

Just cooking/washing up 3x a day after 11-12 people is a full time job let alone the rest like getting them ready for skool

A well 'targetted' wind-up by the Mail

It's the same type of scenario where City people can make off with Billions £££ thru legalised extortion/fraud then get paid a glorified/highly advertised annual bonus to do it.

Edited by erranta

Whats slightly annoying about the looting is that is has (surprise surprise) detracted attention away from the real criminals. Now the papers are full of hoodies to take our minds off the PM only a few weeks ago hob nobbing at a party held by a corporation undergoing criminal investigation.

Just reading in the Sunday Times how that wonderful institution "The City" has defrauded millions out of savers, including entire life savings through its "boiler room" operations. Puts the looting into perspective. I've no doubt the full weight of the law will bear down on every hoodie, every benefit claimant demonized while our bought and paid for politicians, along with our useless financial regulators, let the bigger criminals milk the system.

Whats slightly annoying about the looting is that is has (surprise surprise) detracted attention away from the real criminals. Now the papers are full of hoodies to take our minds off the PM only a few weeks ago hob nobbing at a party held by a corporation undergoing criminal investigation.

Just reading in the Sunday Times how that wonderful institution "The City" has defrauded millions out of savers, including entire life savings through its "boiler room" operations. Puts the looting into perspective. I've no doubt the full weight of the law will bear down on every hoodie, every benefit claimant demonized while our bought and paid for politicians, along with our useless financial regulators, let the bigger criminals milk the system.

No worries....people are wising up....not enough at the moment are feeling the pain, as long as there is a sky to watch.... when they see the growing contrast in riches of people living in such close proximity people will ask themselves questions....how come the difference in wealth between them is so great....they can understand why a celebrity or a footballer can be rich, but not the no-one knows-man in the next road that in real-terms is very little different than them but why so much richer?.

You think less competition doesn't lead to price rises, I do.

you can't tell me what i think

Go look in the mirror and talk to yourself, if you just want an argument.

so you tell me what you think I think, argue with it, and then tell me I'm just looking for an argument

err...

Just cooking/washing up 3x a day after 11-12 people is a full time job let alone the rest like getting them ready for skool

It's the same type of scenario where City people can make off with Billions £££ thru legalised extortion/fraud then get paid a glorified/highly advertised annual bonus to do it.

I didn't ask her to have 10 kids to 4 different blokes.

Why should I pay for it?

No worries....people are wising up

The internet and social networking are the joker in the pack- even the most inarticulate hoodie can string a few buzzwords together these days and present a dialectic that holds up just long enough to throw a brick through a window.

I saw Cameron being presented with the 'corrupt bankers and politicians' meme on TV and he seemed a bit uncertain as to how to play it.

The web is the most efficient means of disseminating mythologies ever created and the notion of a corrupt elite has been allowed to proliferate unchecked, to the point where it's becoming a problem. They had their chance when the banking crisis happened- but chose instead to keep on looting the system.

I think they have underestimated the viral nature of ideas in a culture that is connected in ways undreamed of by past generations, and as all ruling elites have always understood- nothing is more powerful or as hard to kill as an idea.

Thinking about setting up mail order shop for baseball bats and balls. You can carry a baseball bat around if you have the ball on your person. Matt black bats are best because you can never recall seeing them in the dark just before they make contact with your head. Need to order a container load from China and make a mint . Any financial backers ? :ph34r:

Thinking about setting up mail order shop for baseball bats and balls. You can carry a baseball bat around if you have the ball on your person. Matt black bats are best because you can never recall seeing them in the dark just before they make contact with your head. Need to order a container load from China and make a mint . Any financial backers ? :ph34r:

I'm out! :lol:

The internet and social networking are the joker in the pack- even the most inarticulate hoodie can string a few buzzwords together these days and present a dialectic that holds up just long enough to throw a brick through a window.

I saw Cameron being presented with the 'corrupt bankers and politicians' meme on TV and he seemed a bit uncertain as to how to play it.

The web is the most efficient means of disseminating mythologies ever created and the notion of a corrupt elite has been allowed to proliferate unchecked, to the point where it's becoming a problem. They had their chance when the banking crisis happened- but chose instead to keep on looting the system.

I think they have underestimated the viral nature of ideas in a culture that is connected in ways undreamed of by past generations, and as all ruling elites have always understood- nothing is more powerful or as hard to kill as an idea.

I think we have always had it tbh. Lets face it, even when Britain was at the height of it economic power, the lot for the average Brit was pretty poor. Parliament was in the grip of shipmakers, mine and steel owners. The only real difference now is we have a distinct political class, bought and paid for by the financiers and cronies, rather than direct representation in Parliament (for example, Tory PM in the 30's, Stanley Baldwin was an iron and steel works owner).

We have really only had social change and general betterment for the whole population, when the "elite" has been threatened or risk the gallows. Such a time was after WWII when we had millions of returning servicemen that wanted more than being mere cannon fodder. I've no doubt then, the elite of the time had been hedging their bets. What is sad about last weeks looting is the aspiration is no more than a decent set of Adidas trainers, or a new Android phone. I'm sure Bevin would have regarded this as a "poverty of desire."

How many white , black or asian familys in the uk with two , three or four children who are better off not working than working ? Many.

I think we have always had it tbh. Lets face it, even when Britain was at the height of it economic power, the lot for the average Brit was pretty poor. Parliament was in the grip of shipmakers, mine and steel owners. The only real difference now is we have a distinct political class, bought and paid for by the financiers and cronies, rather than direct representation in Parliament (for example, Tory PM in the 30's, Stanley Baldwin was an iron and steel works owner).

We have really only had social change and general betterment for the whole population, when the "elite" has been threatened or risk the gallows. Such a time was after WWII when we had millions of returning servicemen that wanted more than being mere cannon fodder. I've no doubt then, the elite of the time had been hedging their bets. What is sad about last weeks looting is the aspiration is no more than a decent set of Adidas trainers, or a new Android phone. I'm sure Bevin would have regarded this as a "poverty of desire."

The symbolic Brotherhood (some with knighthoods), installed neighbourhood CCTV/Helicopter cameras & actually 'created' the "robbing" 'hoodies'! :P

(Robert) 'Brucie' Bonus for all

Edited by erranta

Makes you wonder just who were those people in the cars with the blacked out windows rumoured to be giving instructions to the rioters

Maybe not the usual gangsters