House Price Crash Forum
mikthe20

[anecdotal] Bookmaker Closing Its Doors

Just noticed that bookmaker near one of the offices I visit regularly has shut down (Twickenham). Don't recall ever seeing a bookmakers shut down. Sign outside says frankly "Due to lack of business...". I don't like seeing people losing their jobs with all the retail problems, but this is one business I haven't got any moral problems with it closing.

I thought bookmakers along with pubs did not suffer much from economic downturns?? - people turn to drink and a roll of the dice to drown their sorrows. This bookies is opposite a pub.

Just noticed that bookmaker near one of the offices I visit regularly has shut down (Twickenham). Don't recall ever seeing a bookmakers shut down. Sign outside says frankly "Due to lack of business...". I don't like seeing people losing their jobs with all the retail problems, but this is one business I haven't got any moral problems with it closing.

I thought bookmakers along with pubs did not suffer much from economic downturns?? - people turn to drink and a roll of the dice to drown their sorrows. This bookies is opposite a pub.

That's a cooincidence, I live near that bookies. It's probably the only one in the UK shutting down, though and wouldn't take it as a sign of impending doom. House prices and general affluence in the area seem sky high.

To be honest I am not surprised. With the advent of Betting Exchanges the days of bookies valued "afternoon" business... i.e singles on the next available race are numbered. You will always get a better price on the exchanges and you can lay it off for an inbuilt profit.

I enjoy a multiple bet (that the exchanges cannot offer at the moment) but i bet online after comparing prices. I can see a gradual cutting back of high street bookies over the next 20 years as the "older" less computer literate punters die off.

That's a cooincidence, I live near that bookies. It's probably the only one in the UK shutting down, though and wouldn't take it as a sign of impending doom. House prices and general affluence in the area seem sky high.

Quite a coincidence. Know what you mean, but still find this unusual. Agree with your view on the area, but I just thought "bookies never go out business".

Bott - I did think about online gambling affecting trade, but I would still assume that the vast bulk of that business is in-store in terms of the type of clientele (trying to be PC). Also, there seems to have been quite a bit of financial press about the online gambling companies' growth slowing.

Yeah, maybe I'm reading too much into it.

Strange ..... as it seems round my way, bookies seem to be opening up everywhere !!

To me thats a sure sign of impending recession ..... Estate Agent / Cafe / Retail Shop closes down to be replaced by a "Get Rich Quick" Den :)

To be honest I am not surprised. With the advent of Betting Exchanges the days of bookies valued "afternoon" business... i.e singles on the next available race are numbered. You will always get a better price on the exchanges and you can lay it off for an inbuilt profit.

I enjoy a multiple bet (that the exchanges cannot offer at the moment) but i bet online after comparing prices. I can see a gradual cutting back of high street bookies over the next 20 years as the "older" less computer literate punters die off.

These days an increasing amount of bookies profits are from FOBTs (Fixed Odds Betting Terminals) of which there may be 3 per shop, offering cartoon roulette and the like. These are serious money makers and more than compensate for any drop off in revenue from the traditional earners. Bookies are fast becoming amusement arcades.

A line from Hilton's (owners of Ladbrokes) latest results .......

FOBTs gross win has increased by 28%. The average number of terminals

in the first half was 6,087, a 40% increase on the first half of 2004. As

at 30 June 2005, there were 6,232 terminals and 1,410 AWPs. The average

weekly gross win per FOBT for the period was £576.

:o

I can see a gradual cutting back of high street bookies over the next 20 years as the "older" less computer literate punters die off.

they might be a bit knackered aswell when the govt bans smoking in public places!

betting