House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pyracantha

So How Bad Do You Think Things Will Get

I found myself having to explain the concept of 'disaster recovery planning' to my partner yesterday. Bottled water, candles, food, camping cooker (wood and gas), etc.

I'm old enough to remember electricity problems & blackouts, certain food shortages & panic buying. We've seen bank failures, riots etc and I can't help but feel we have a lot worse to come. So without descending into TFH Mad Max scenarios, just how bad do people think things will get?

Oh that's a good question.

I would say much worse, because the ruling elite still refuse to accept the real causes.

So things will get progressively worse until things get so bad that the liberal establishment are forced to accept the last 30 or 40 years of social policy have been a disasterous mistake.

If people riot because they want more money, giving them more money because they have riotted is hardly going to make them less likely to riot in the future.

Dane-Geld

It is always a temptation to an armed and agile nation

To call upon a neighbour and to say: --

"We invaded you last night--we are quite prepared to fight,

Unless you pay us cash to go away."

And that is called asking for Dane-geld,

And the people who ask it explain

That you've only to pay 'em the Dane-geld

And then you'll get rid of the Dane!

It is always a temptation for a rich and lazy nation,

To puff and look important and to say: --

"Though we know we should defeat you, we have not the time to meet you.

We will therefore pay you cash to go away."

And that is called paying the Dane-geld;

But we've proved it again and again,

That if once you have paid him the Dane-geld

You never get rid of the Dane.

It is wrong to put temptation in the path of any nation,

For fear they should succumb and go astray;

So when you are requested to pay up or be molested,

You will find it better policy to say: --

"We never pay any-one Dane-geld,

No matter how trifling the cost;

For the end of that game is oppression and shame,

And the nation that pays it is lost!"

Rudyard Kipling

Just substitute 'community' for nation and welfare for Dane-geld

:blink:

Probably as bad as Argentina 2001 , maybe worse because of the sense of entitlement so many in the UK seem to have.

Thats not the question though , the question is when , will they be able to hold it off for another few years?? It could go downhill very quickly or be a slow decline like now.

Warning to the OP ......you are at the risk of a smart alec THF comment by some internet wit.......

Personally I don't think we will have major disorder but.......It can't do any harm to make a few basic preparations :

1) When you go shopping look for any offers (bogofs etc) and over time build up a store cupboard. Not just basics (tins of food) but a few 'luxuries' like coffee/ deodorant etc

if the SHTF you'll have a start. When it doesn't at least you can use your provisions as a hedge against inflation. (I mean from experience I suspect the price of loaf

of bread has gone up more than gold over the last year! (Not so easy to store your life savings though)

2) Depending on where you live grow some food again as an inflation hedge if not survivalist planning

3) Have a drink with a few mates & raise the subject ( in a joking sort of way), you might be surprised to find people in your social group who have given the matter thought.

In a still' joking' way you might make plans together? Though be wary of being labeled as a 'Montana Survivalist'

4) Remember it won't happen ........ but it might!

Consider items like this to maintain the flow of information to you so you can make your assessment more accurately. Nothing worse than being in the dark either and it always pays to learn to survive. :)

Is that a windup?

I'm old enough to remember electricity problems & blackouts, certain food shortages & panic buying.

Me too. I just took it for granted as it was a normal part of the background of my childhood.

I'm not sure how those raised in a much more comfortable environment will cope. Will we have legions of "yoof" hitherto permanently staring blankly into their phones now raising their heads in wonder as they perceive the larger world around them?

Will the inability to update their Facebook page with all the details of the trip home on the bus since they last saw their mates drive them to reckless acts like... talking to their parents?

Sadly (for many, many reasons) this is NOT the Britain of the 1970s.

Me too. I just took it for granted as it was a normal part of the background of my childhood.

I'm not sure how those raised in a much more comfortable environment will cope. Will we have legions of "yoof" hitherto permanently staring blankly into their phones now raising their heads in wonder as they perceive the larger world around them?

Will the inability to update their Facebook page with all the details of the trip home on the bus since they last saw their mates drive them to reckless acts like... talking to their parents?

Sadly (for many, many reasons) this is NOT the Britain of the 1970s.

starting to spread already, over a million disaffected youth from all over the world hit bellevue yesterday and the fedde le grande set was criminal

Anywhere from a prolonged recession,high inflation,deflation,job losses and poverty to unimaginable chaos,riots,food-fuel shortages. I dont think anyone knows how things are going to pan out, but its not looking rosy thats for sure. When and if things do go critical, I sure as hell dont want to be anywhere near the SE of England or near any major city.

It won't be as glamourous as Mad Max, it will be more like one of those 90s Romanian orphanages. And Challenge Anika will never be coming to rescue you.

My son's gerbil died of old age yesterday, and we buried it in the garden. In retrospect, after reading this thread, we should have popped it in the freezer.

My son's gerbil died of old age yesterday, and we buried it in the garden. In retrospect, after reading this thread, we should have popped it in the freezer.

haha.

its not going to get that bad, but the main problem is SOME people have recently had it so good.

as we pass by even what used to be normality, that will really hurt them.

once we descent into biting cuts - well, thats when the pain starts.

prob about after the oil impicks.

then once they realise the debt mountain is going to take 20 years to repay it will either go 2 ways depending on how the government deals out the lashes.

1. if they track down and procescute bankers. lie to let. and so on. people may just knuckle down and perhps even begin to enjoy the finer things in life. the free things. the things that we enjoyed in the 1990s before this stupid property rampage tore common life up.

or

2. they continue to prop up and protect the culprits. in which case expect a whole heap of civil unrest from graffiti to crimes of the utmost grotesque. uk life will break down as we know it.

there is no thrid way. the debt is there ready to be re-paid, so if people keep voting for the same batch of selfish clansmen. its their own fault. people should really read newspapers too much. im trying to forget the whole property thing now and move on. to me, its an inconvenience. to others its the cause of suicide and so on. its only money. but if your addicted to it, and a lot did get used to free money, the pains going to be unbearable.

get an old van and mill around southern france for a while camping on the cheap and getting some sun.

enjoy yourself. its later than you think.

get an old van and mill around southern france for a while camping on the cheap and getting some sun.

enjoy yourself. its later than you think.

Having camped in northern Spain and northwest France earlier this summer, I'd recommend Spain as your food prices will be much lower, though as campsites in Spain tend to be more expensive wild camp where you can.

This is the bitter irony of HPC.

All we wanted was cheaper houses, but that particular piece of satisfaction is going to pass us by as we jump the lights on the road to the collapse of society.

So things will get progressively worse until things get so bad that the liberal establishment are forced to accept the last 30 or 40 years of social policy have been a disasterous mistake.

But that's only stage one. Once the welfare state is finally seen to have been a disaster, you still have to deal with the consequences.

My guess is that you'll end up with the 'Escape from New York' approach, just wall off a big city, throw the useless welfare layabouts in there and forget about them.

But that's only stage one. Once the welfare state is finally seen to have been a disaster, you still have to deal with the consequences.

My guess is that you'll end up with the 'Escape from New York' approach, just wall off a big city, throw the useless welfare layabouts in there and forget about them.

as corny as it was i liked the film, some friends got a farm, guns, food ,independant power offgrid stuff , i would round up the family and head there and wait out the city zombie trouble there ! the masses would be dead by the time they thought of fresh veg and worked out how to read a map ! :D