House Price Crash Forum

Unofficial Hpc Poll: Precious Metals

HOLA441

I think it's fair to say the precious metals market has started to garner more media attention lately. Not least from HPC, with the official Gold Thread on the main board reinstated to contain the contentious and passionate debate.

There's no denying gold is in a bull market. But whether it's a bubble driven by greed and momentum or a secular trend underpinned by strong fundamentals is far less clear. I think we can gain some insight by taking the temperature of this increasingly heated market right here on HPC.

And where better? We've got all kinds of economic philosophies and political persuasions: from Thatcher-haters and Friedman-lovers to folks who just spend way too much time with Swansea estate agents. Either way, we're more interested in non-housing investments than your average British citizen, for obvious reasons.

The results could provide valuable information for people considering their gold strategy in the current economy, as the title of the gold thread instructs. As such, I hope the mods will let this ride on the main board.

Edited by 50sQuiff

HOLA442

The results could provide valuable information for people considering their gold strategy in the current economy, The results could be used in 5 years by governments to track who owns shedloads of physical gold as the title of the gold thread instructs. As such, I hope the mods will let this ride on the main board.

corrected for you :lol:

HOLA443

For info, in the question 'How will the gold bull market end?' I selected: Senior currency and reserve asset: retreat from overvaluation but stable at higher prices.

I have no conviction about this but an inkling/sneaky suspicion that this may be planned for us based on some political/propaganda noises and the market behaviour of gold.

If that happens however I would expect gold to stabilise at a much higher level than where it is now.

All highly speculative of course.

HOLA444

This should have been left on the main board; you'll never get a representative answer on the PM forum :unsure:

As for the end game ...

I can't help thinking that certain govenments or financial institutions (with low physical gold reserves) will somehow devalue (or attempt to devalue ) gold massively as a last roll of the dice to stop currencies such as the dollar / euro collapsing completely; hope I'm wrong!

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Interesting how many responders have more than 50% in gold.

Of course, this is the "gold" section of HPC.

Or £1 ;)

The coin in my avatar/profile pic was actually bought for about 2-3x face value, long ago (about 1962). I'd guess it's closing in on 100x face value now.

HOLA448
HOLA449

St. Gauden ?

Yes -- the reverse of a 1908 US $20 (no motto). Owning gold was illegal in the US back in the 1960's, but having this coin was OK. I'm hoping that if they confiscate gold again, coins like this one will be exempt, even though it's one of the most common dates.