House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SarahBell

Voting Referendum And Riots

Maybe the people who rioted should have voted yes in the changes to election referendum.

It would have meant they'd be more likely to be represented by someone who actually represented them - and would have given them a voice,

Maybe the people who rioted should have voted yes in the changes to election referendum.

It would have meant they'd be more likely to be represented by someone who actually represented them - and would have given them a voice,

Really? Are you trying to suggest that there would be political candidates that represent the views of these halfwits? That's assuming they have any views they want represented in the first place - my suspicion is that they don't.

I was initially interested in the proposals for electoral reform - until I realised that the referendum merely allowed me to give my stamp of approval to one of two similarly broken approaches. There is a massive problem with the electoral system... and it's this: hardly any of the issues that affect me are chosen at a local level... but our collegiate electoral system suppresses my objection to non-local candidates. If we need a house of commons on the current scale, the only solution I can see is to allow everyone to post both a positive and a negative vote for any politician who seeks to have any influence over them. I objected to Brown - but, unable to relocate to Kirkcaldy - I was silenced... even worse - if I had relocated with a sufficiently large number of sufficiently informed peers, Brown could have simply relocated to another safe seat. The political process is a farce.

However to vote you have to be on the electoral role, I suspect many involved are not registered.

What makes you think that those we vote for actually represent us?

It finished decades ago.

We have 5 year political dictatorships.

The political system is politically corrupt. It is not fit for purpose.

Ha bloody ha.

After listening to the BBC telling me that the outcome hung by a thread for weeks

Remind me how many constituencies actually voted in favour?

And do we actually want gun toting drug dealers as MP's anyway?

:blink:

Really? Are you trying to suggest that there would be political candidates that represent the views of these halfwits? That's assuming they have any views they want represented in the first place - my suspicion is that they don't.

I was initially interested in the proposals for electoral reform - until I realised that the referendum merely allowed me to give my stamp of approval to one of two similarly broken approaches. There is a massive problem with the electoral system... and it's this: hardly any of the issues that affect me are chosen at a local level... but our collegiate electoral system suppresses my objection to non-local candidates. If we need a house of commons on the current scale, the only solution I can see is to allow everyone to post both a positive and a negative vote for any politician who seeks to have any influence over them. I objected to Brown - but, unable to relocate to Kirkcaldy - I was silenced... even worse - if I had relocated with a sufficiently large number of sufficiently informed peers, Brown could have simply relocated to another safe seat. The political process is a farce.

Personally I think someone should have to live in a constituency for 10 years before they are allowed to stand as its MP

This would end the current system of nepotism and patronage which determines who we get to vote for

Which is why it will never be adopted.

The majority of them would not know how to place a cross and where. They are just plain and useless wasters who speak a dialect nobody can understand. :rolleyes:

Innit